Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to paint my stock jeep rims either gun metal or black. I'm really worried that if I do it myself it will not turn out as I hope. Please convince me that it's either a good idea or a bad idea.

·
Registered
31 Posts
painting rims is very easy, and there are many ways to do it and make it look great. ive done quite a few sets and they all came out great except 1 rim had one little flaw that was not even noticable unless you put you nose on the rim and you preciously knew it was there

·
Registered
809 Posts
When in doubt, practice on something else first. Then evaluate your talents and go from there.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I'm contemplating this; my stock wheels are scratched up. Has anyone powder coated their wheels? I'd like to hear your experience and cost..

I kind like the idea or painting them myself so I can touch them up if they get scratched again whilst 'wheeling...

·
Registered
128 Posts
I painted my dakota's rim to give it an all black look. The only probs. I have is constant touching up from chips and scratches, plus brake dust build up. I now find myself cleaning more than wheeling...

·
Registered
696 Posts
I think it can be an inexpensive way to make a great look. I havent done it but I have seen a lot of painted rims on this forum that look amazing.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Painting rims in many ways is like painting walls or finishing wood projects. You have to plan it out carefully, choose the materials you want to use, and TAKE YOUR TIME WITH THE PREP STAGE! Having clean and lightly sanded surfaces is key. Also, take the time to tape off areas you don't want painted. There is metal primer you should use, shoot your color, and then a few coats of clear to protect your paint. Don't forget to lightly sand between coats. If you look around, ask a lot of questions, and plan it out, you will get nice results. Just don't expect any painted or powdercoated finish to be rock-proof! Any wheel with any finish can get scratched up.

Remember: clean, clean, clean...! Prep is the key!

Good luck.

:eek:rangehat:

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Anybody with feedback on the durability of powder coating on wheels? I don't plan on a lot of rock-climbing, but stuff happens - even in the mud..

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
There are a number of us that have painted thier wheels.

I would not powdercoat because of what Crunchy said. The paint will get scratched and chip. I painted my wheels 2 years ago.
They look brand new and have no dings or scratches. They are perfect. Joe Isuzu said....

The wheels still look good but yes, I have had to touch them up a couple times.
Touch up is not at all difficult. If I go off roading, they will suffer a little. But not much. I am truly surprised how well it has held up.
The only thing is......protect your nuts.

Yes, when you take the lugs off, they will get scratched from the tire iron or what ever you use to take them off.
Put a piece of plastic like a baggy over your nuts before you twist them off. :)icon_redface:) It will protect them.

Lekmed is absolutley correct in that you need to clean the wheels and clean your nuts very well. :)

I used the blue painters tape and taped paper over the tire. Use several coats of paint. Thin coats.
If you do get paint overspray on the tires, it comes off quickly.

I am thinking about using the bed liner to paint the wheels with next time I do my touch up. :saythat:

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
[...]

I am thinking about using the bed liner to paint the wheels with next time I do my touch up. :saythat:
Hey Psyc, err, Cico!

I might just do that, too. I've got GL4x4's front bumper I'll be working on soon and that's going to be painted in black bed liner. I'll bet that would look pretty cool on the wheels and be more durable than paint..

Hmmmmmm........... Now, why didn't I think of that?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I usually do not take my jeep out in the mud, but I do take it off road on our family's farm. So should the rim paint hold up pretty well considering this?

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I usually do not take my jeep out in the mud, but I do take it off road on our family's farm. So should the rim paint hold up pretty well considering this?
Take a look at them; if they're not scratched up by however you've been driving your XK, odds are that the paint (assuming correct preparation, application, etc.) will be fine.

And, if you do it yourself, you can always retouch them if need be.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, LSU...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Paint chrome rims black?

I have been thinking about painting my rims black too, I like the "blacked out" look. My commander came with the manufacture chrome rims and I hate the way they look, would it be a bad idea to try and black out my chrome rims? Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I say be careful! You really need to take the tire off the rim in order to get a clean paint job.
some pointers
-Take the tires off the jeep (only honda rice maker drivers paint with their rims on)
-Sand with a low grit count to help the new paint grab better.
-It's ok to paint on the tire, a few miles and it will flake off (no need to tape off the tire)
-Test the clear coat with the black or gun metal first, some clear coats can cause bubbling.
-Distance from the can, to the rim is important.

Hope this helps
-Seth

·
Registered
953 Posts
i am sure you can find someone to trade or buy your rims. I dont think i would try to paint chrome.

I wouldn't try painting over chrome either. You might consider tracking down a set of the XK 5 spoke aluminum wheels at local junk yards. Buying a set would make your project a bit easier since you will have rims without tires on them. That will let you do a better job cleaning them. It will also let you take your time since the work doesn't take your Jeep out of commission for any time.

By the way, has anyone seen this do-it-yourself powdercoating system from Harbor Freight? For $70 I'd be curious to try it on some project.

:eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Does anyone have pics of their painted rims?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts