Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into setting up the Commander for transporting my Kayak, I have a wide range of them, as of now I am still using my old ford ranger to transport them. I have factory bars now, and I am looking for advice for the best set up. Trying to research what works well what doesn't.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
You have a wide range of what? Kayaks or vehicles?

There are several companies offer carriers and i know some folks here have
posted set ups.

Thule

Looking into setting up the Commander for transporting my Kayak, I have a wide range of them, as of now I am still using my old ford ranger to transport them. I have factory bars now, and I am looking for advice for the best set up. Trying to research what works well what doesn't.

Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Cheap

Honestly, the best thing is to get foam "v's" if you have a nice kayak and just strap it right on the top. I have sit on top kayaks and I just wratchet straps through scupper holes and tighten it down. It's as solid as a rock and cost me nothing. Works great on the stock cross bars even with two kayaks stacked on top of one another. My neighbor has a nicer sit on top and she uses the foam V, places the yak on top and straps it down. Seems to work good for her also. She's a little more concerned about warping the kayak in the sun with the pressure. Me, not so much.

If you have a very spendy yak and want to keep it extra nice then most people use the "J" holders. Personally, I think they're all a rip off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry I have a wide range of kayaks I am looking to strap on to the roof of my Jeep. I know there are several options out there just wondering what people have found to work well with the commander with it being High off the ground. As of now I just throw them into the back of a pickup truck.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I am having custom adaptors built by Stone Soup Metal Works so that I can use my Thule Kayak Racks on my Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray. They should be done in a week or two.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly, the best thing is to get foam "v's" if you have a nice kayak and just strap it right on the top. I have sit on top kayaks and I just wratchet straps through scupper holes and tighten it down. It's solid as a rock and cost me the price of the straps. Works great on the stock cross bars even with two kayaks stacked on top of one another.

If you have a very spendy kayak and you want to keep it extra nice then most people use the "J" holders. Personally, I think they're all a ripe off.
for the 30 bucks for the foam pad kits from dicks might be worth just trying them out before I invest a couple of hundred, thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
I have a 16 footer triple sit-on-top and a 15 footer touring Kayak. The foam blocks are perfect and priced right. I might have imagined it but I think I got 2mph better gas mileage when I have my triple face down on the top.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read somewhere that foam blocks weren't so good for the Interstate, I just bought my first Kayak, it's a tandem so I'm still trying to figure this out myself. Here is the boat:
http://www.wildernesssystems.com/product/index/products/sea_kayak/sea_kayak_northstar/northstar_r_seakayak/

It's pretty long and 93lbs.

I was looking at the Mopar solution, but it's pretty expensive:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/canoe-carrier-mopar-82204700.html
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/mopar/jeep-commander/carrier-sportutility-bar.htm

Saw some people using square tube and bolts as cross bars too but not sure which direction to go yet.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I’ll have to post some pix.

I don’t have a kayak, but I do have a Porta-Bote. http://www.porta-bote.com/ It's very much the same idea when it's folded down like a surfboard.

I mounted a Harbor freight Tools board roller on the back of the roof rack. It's made for holding your long boards/planks when using a radial arm saw and the like. I used the base piece for other things, and used just the roller piece itself on the rack. It was less than $20. Here it is:
http://www.harborfreight.com/132-lb-capacity-roller-stand-95621.html

The roller itself removes from the bracket by pushing a button on one end. I made up a piece of 2x4 wrapped in carpet with holes underneath that match the roller bracket when the roller's removed.

The Porta-Bote hull weighs 70 lbs. When I fold it up, I rest the bow end on the installed roller, and shove it up onto the rack, which is uber-easy with the roller. When it's up in place, I hold up the boat hull with a shoulder, remove the roller, and drop on the carpeted 2x4 and drop the hull back down onto it. I then use ratchet straps to hold the boat into place, and it's road ready.

In my case, the bote's seats and transom go onto the rack under the hull, and for a kayak, you could do the same with your gear.

Unloading's the opposite... switch back to the roller, and the boat glides off the roof rack. I made the carpet-block piece because the ratchet straps make it hold tightly to the carpet. The roller might let the hull slide fore and aft, a bad idea when on the freeway.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
This is the setup i use. They are rental kayaks but I have had good luck with several different sizes and styles mounted to my Kargo Master Safari rack. I have it bolted to the OEM cross bar risers however you could probably use strap the kayaks to the cross bars and it will work just as well. I have found that the bars on my roof basket are small enough diameter to fit nicely into the lip around the opening in the kayak and it keeps it from moving front to back. Then a simple strap across them prevents lateral movement. A roof basket is a good multi purpose tool to have on your jeep if you do a lot of camping or other outdoor activity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts