Jeep Commander Forum banner

341 - 360 of 382 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Blue,
I am wondering if you had ever documented your Approach Angle Before the Bumper change, as it looks LARGE !!! And that means Alot.

ANY 4WD. VEHICLE THAT HAS GROUND LIFT, AS IN DISTANCE FROM THE GROUND TO THE LOWEST OF POINT VEHICLE SUSPENSION IS KNOWN AS CLEARANCE, THAT AND TWIST MAKE THE FORMULA TO TRACTION, A NON SPINNING FORM OF MOVEMENT.

Swanny
I'm not exactly sure how you would measure your approach angle Swanny.

What I did measure (before and after) was the distance between the bottom of my fender flare and the top of my front tire and there was essentially 6 inches (give or take an 1/8 inch) between the bottom/center of my fender flare and the top of my front tire.

It was still 6 inches after the bumper was installed, so, there was virtually no change. Maybe it dropped 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch but nothing that was noticeable to the naked eye and nothing that will have any adverse effect on my clearance as far as I can tell.

It doesn't feel like it handles any differently either.

Keep in mind, most of my front suspension components have been upgraded. I have Bilstein HD B6 4600 front shock absorbers, JBA UCA's/balljoints and the 2 inch RC lift. The only thing upfront suspension wise, that is still stock are the springs.

I think that's why I had no noticeable drop when the bumper was installed.

I have heard other people have seen a measurable drop - some have reported up to 1 inch.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yes, your approach angle with a WAM bumper is less then without but compared to OEM bumper there is not an insane amount of difference when you measure. Regardless, in a wheeling environment I'd prefer to have a steel bumper to smack down on then a plastic OEM bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looking great Blue, nice job. Have been absent for a while and it's great to see the upgrades. Love that bumper!

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Approach Angle

Blue, sorry it took so long to get back to you, but the approach angle is the angle that you get from the front, bottom of the tire to the farthest/lowest point ahead of the tire, thus how steep of an incline will you be able to climb w/o hitting? and did it change from stock?

Swanny

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Blue, sorry it took so long to get back to you, but the approach angle is the angle that you get from the front, bottom of the tire to the farthest/lowest point ahead of the tire, thus how steep of an incline will you be able to climb w/o hitting? and did it change from stock?

Swanny
If you look at the attached pics, I'll point a couple of things out to you;

If you look at the area outlined in red and the diagonal line in blue, all of the factory plastic fascia and front spoiler that comes under the factory bumper cover has been removed.

While the WAM bumper comes with an attached front skid plate and obviously weighs a lot more, but it's still significantly higher off of the ground than the factory plastic fascia & front spoiler that comes with the factory bumper cover.

Couple that with the fact that my front end only dropped about an eighth of an inch and I would say my approach angle has actually increased - meaning that I think I could tackle a steeper incline now, than when I had the factory front bumper on - due to all of the front fascia and the front spoiler being removed with the removal of the factory bumper, giving me more clearance up-front and I think these photos / illustrations clearly show that.

I hope this answers your question Swanny.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Oh absolutely lol no doubt it's higher. I was comparing my modified OEM bumper to WAM. I think I lost a tiny bit of approach. Regardless, ill take steel any day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, the XK needed new shocks/struts/ball joints, so I went with the OME 2" lift with heavy duty springs and additional 3/8" spacers in the front. I also opted for the JBAoffroad upper control arms w/ ball joints. The wheels are 2016 Wrangler Sahara 18" on Bridgestone Dueler tires. Love it!

Here are before/after pics...

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Maybe I am a little slow? What is a spacer and where to I get them for my project.

Thanks guys
There are spacers that go between the rotor and the rim; hence the name spacer - or more properly, wheel spacer.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Jeep+Commander+wheel+spacers&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiq6rrG19TWAhVnx1QKHS9NAdYQsxgIJw&biw=1920&bih=956

Then there are spacers that go on top of the front and rear shocks to add height; IE a "spacer" lift such as the Rough Country Lift Kit.

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

I'm not sure which you are referring to.

·
Super Moderator
15,011 Posts
Maybe I am a little slow? What is a spacer and where to I get them for my project.

Thanks guys
The spacers you are asking about go on top of the front strut to add height. Some members have added spacers to the front to "level" their Commander to get rid of the factory forward rake.

341 - 360 of 382 Posts