Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I own a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited 5.7 QT2. Mileage: 75,000. It shudders and growls in the rear end when turning the steering wheel left or right at cold start ups or after sitting for a few hours. I changed the TCase Lubricant (Mopar NV247 TCase Lubricant). Drove it down the road a few times, and figure 8's in my yard. The shudder/growl went away, but still after sitting a few hours, the shudder/growl started again. What can cause this? I will be changing the TCase Lubricant again today and the change the Diff. Fluids today as well.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I own a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited 5.7 QT2. Mileage: 75,000. It shudders and growls in the rear end when turning the steering wheel left or right at cold start ups or after sitting for a few hours. I changed the TCase Lubricant (Mopar NV247 TCase Lubricant). Drove it down the road a few times, and figure 8's in my yard. The shudder/growl went away, but still after sitting a few hours, the shudder/growl started again. What can cause this? I will be changing the TCase Lubricant again today and the change the Diff. Fluids today as well.
I'm pretty sure the 2006 hemi came with QD2. When you do the diff fluids, check that you have 12 bolts on the rear diff housing. Then, MAKE ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY SURE you are putting in the OEM friction modifier to the QD2 diffs (front and rear). If this is the source of your shudder, you should probably repeat with fresh fluid in a few hundred miles.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Well, I'm less sure that all Limiteds had hemis, but if it's a hemi, it's paired with QD2 for MY2006.

Sent from under a rock with my SAMSUNG tricorder.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty sure the 2006 hemi came with QD2. When you do the diff fluids, check that you have 12 bolts on the rear diff housing. Then, MAKE ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY SURE you are putting in the OEM friction modifier to the QD2 diffs (front and rear). If this is the source of your shudder, you should probably repeat with fresh fluid in a few hundred miles.
My 2006 is a Hemi with QD2. I picked up the Diff Fluid and the OEM Friction Modifier at the Jeep Dealership. Not a cheap price either, left there spending about $80 for all fluids. Drained and replaced the Diff Fluid/Friction Modifier today. Drove it around, did some more figure 8's, since I replaced the Transfer Case Lubricant yesterday. Since the shudder/growl always happens after it has not been driven for a few hours, I let it set for about 4-5 hours after driving it. Then cranked it up, and put it in reverse turned the wheel, I could only hear a slight growl for a split second, then no growl or shudder at all, made some figure 8's again, no shudder or growling at all this time. Will drive it in the morning to see if it's completely gone. I hope this is the fix...! Any further input is greatly appreciated...!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts