Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that when I brake in my commander ( low speeds) I feel a shuddering sensation - a little in the brake, but my steering wheel as well. It seems to happen once I have warmed up the brakes and have driven a good 10 miles with constant braking - I havent pulled a wheel to look, but I have noticed the rotors are BURNING hot! I cant even touch them! Where should I start?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
zzzzzxx said:
I havent pulled a wheel to look, but I have noticed the rotors are BURNING hot! I cant even touch them! Where should I start?
I would start with the warranty at the dealer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It sounds like your rotors are warped. I just had to replace mine - with only 20,000 miles on the Jeep! It's my opinion that the rotors should not go bad that quick. And of course, they are not covered by warranty. I was actually asked whether I drive through rain, mud, or snow as the temperature chnage could actually warp the rotors. Well, um, its a Jeep right? of course I do. Still not a good reason why they went bad this fast.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I noticed mine were starting to do that recently, but only when braking hard on a steep descent. I down shifted and let the brakes cool and the shuddering went away. Still watching them, though; this doesn't make me feel good about the build quality of the truck's most important safety system.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I did notice the Mopar rotors the dealer put on are better than the OEM rotors. They seem to be bigger. It is frustrating the people at Jeep went the cheap way with the 2006 Commanders. Another reason to never buy the first model year product.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yep warpped rotors on this end. Only 27k and it never sees anything but street driving. Warranty won't cover it past 12k miles. Bunch of crap. I forsee my commander going away soon. I don't know I can deal with its problems much longer. Especially when the dealers blow me off like I mean nothing. Yes I said dealers plural.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Tlambert95 said:
Yep warpped rotors on this end. Only 27k and it never sees anything but street driving. Warranty won't cover it past 12k miles. Bunch of crap. I forsee my commander going away soon. I don't know I can deal with its problems much longer. Especially when the dealers blow me off like I mean nothing. Yes I said dealers plural.

You've had more than one problem?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Don't think that going to another vehicle will resolve your problems. Lots of newer vehicles have problems with brake rotors. They use materials to help the vehicles stop in shorter distances. However these materials seem to distort more with heat buildup.

I had issues on my 1999 Pontiac because of the same reason.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I'm trying to give my Jeep the best possible chance to prove itself and so far its been okay. The dealers I've dealt with have been so-so, with the most recent one actually knowing what I was talking about with the REC NAV issues and fixing them. And I do like the overall size of the truck for general driving around town and off-road.

That being said, this will probably be my last Jeep product due overall build quality and fuel economy issues. After all, the XK doesn't really need to be permanent 4WD for 95% of the driving they do, and DCX really did screw up by not offering the diesel in the domestic versions of the truck.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had the same problem. It is indeed, warped rotors :(. Fortunately, it's pretty cheap to fix. Since your Jeep is relatively new, their should be enough rotor left so that all they have to do is grind them. Probably cost you 200$ at dealership or about 150$ at a Midas or something.
The problem with this (I did the research) and why they wear unevenly so quickly on the commander is due to the weight of the vehicle and the size of the rotors. The commander weighs over 6000 lbs, so stopping it isn't easy. You mentioned before that they were "burning hot", which is normal. If you are braking down a hill constantly, or coming off of a freeway off ramp (which I am guessing you live by one of these, which causes this problem) you need to brake slower so that the rotors heat up evenly. Un-even heating of the rotors causes this problem. That is kind of confusing, let me redo that thought.
If you are coming off of the freeway, instead of cruising until the end of the off-ramp to slow down, start slowing down earlier and more gradually. That sounds better! And if you really want to be a stickler, once you get to a stop, leave yourself enough room so that you can let off the brake just enough to keep the wheels turning very slowly. That will help also.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I would suggest you go to another dealer. I don't have many miles but I have had one recall and one service (free bushing replacement) and my dealer has been a pleasure to go to. Always a new loaner to play while I am out even though it was only a couple hours. Next visit, though I am not a Grand Cherokee lover, I am taking out the SRT8. Oh ya! Thanks Ed Schmidt. Dust has been building up on this hat and needs to be blown off

·
Registered
717 Posts
jeep5253 said:
Nothing wrong with the build quality of my Commander. And you don't have to buy a full-time 4WD -- they come in part-time 4WD and 2WD. Personally I like having full time 4WD even though the fuel economy sucks. It saved my ass more than once on my 2000 Grand Cherokee.
Where did you find an XK with part time 4WD??

·
Registered
717 Posts
jeep5253 said:
My bad. I went to the Jeep website to check and didn't see a Commander available with part-time 4WD. But didn't the 2006 base (now called the Sport) have Select Trac which is part-time?
The base 4x4 came with QT1

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Base/Sports with the 3.7 V6 come with QT1. Base/Sports with 4.7 come with QTII. Hemis come with either QTII or QDII. Diesels: don't know because we're denied them! :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any recommendations on new rotors to purchase? Something longer lasting than the OEMs? I dont want to replace them every 17k miles!

·
Registered
125 Posts
rubicontrail.net said:
Don't think that going to another vehicle will resolve your problems. Lots of newer vehicles have problems with brake rotors. They use materials to help the vehicles stop in shorter distances. However these materials seem to distort more with heat buildup.

I had issues on my 1999 Pontiac because of the same reason.
Not just the rotors, the dash lights go on and off, it idles like crap, the transmission shifts funky, the fan is now making noises, the a/c quit working at the dealer, oh yeah it would not stay running one day...and on and on and on...for all these problems I have either gotten can't recreate it or a dead battery for the day it would not start and stay running it even had the check engine light on that day. So the rotors just add to the distaste in my mouth. My biggest disgust I have to say is the crappy dealers around here....I am preparing for a trip to a third here soon...yes 3rd.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Where are you located? My two local dealers have fixed the major issues I've had with the XK, so the ruck is running fine now. Got my tire vibration fixed by my tire shop, so now it rides smoothly at 80 again.

I do like the idea of upgrading the brake rotors, especially if they used smaller ones on the 2006 models. If I do, I'll go with the Powerslots as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts