Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a brand new Jeep Commander! It has under 1,000 miles on it. I was sitting at a drive thru and the car just shut off. I couldn't give it gas. I had to put it in park and restart it again. Then, a few days later, I was driving down the road going about 50 mph, and the car just SHUT OFF!!!! I couldn't give it gas. I went to hit the brake to slow down and pull off the road. My car slammed/screeched to a stop and I almost caused a 20 car pile up. I got hurt too! They had to tow it! No word yet, and it has been five days. I can't even drive my new car, who would want to when it seems like a death trap! Anyone experience this problem????

·
Registered
125 Posts
The only time I have ever had this problem is when I hit the key with my leg going down the road and shut it off. There are people on here that have had problems with the vehicle shutting of on them. Look through some of the threads.

·
Registered
213 Posts
As Tlambert95 mentioned, there are threads about people who have has similar instances - do you have the HEMI? It seemed like most (if not all) of the people who had that happen had the Limited model with the HEMI.

·
Registered
476 Posts
This happened to me a couple of times, however, I think it was becaues I hit the key.... which is in a terrible place - engineers are not too bright when it comes to logic :rolleyes: (IMO)

There are many post in this forum and jeepforums.com regardin the issue of the XK dying while driving... and DCX is supposedly aware of the problem?

You may want to submit a complaint to the NTSB. If they receive very many complaints they will launch an investigation!

Do you have the HEMI?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your responses! I really appreciate it! I don't have the HEMI. It definately was not the key. After a week, they are still not sure of the exact problem, but are saying it may be the front control modular (computer system). I still don't have my car back. It sucks to have a brand new car you can't even drive! I will keep on reading the other threads.

·
Registered
398 Posts
There are currently 19 complaints on the NTSHA web site for the Commander. Of the 19, about 6 are for the shutoff complaint. It seems there are more than are actually reported.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Of the 19 NHTSA complaints, many are duplicates from the same complainants. There have been only two or three individuals file complaints reference the stalling. If you pull up the details it shows the vehicle VIN.

One valid issue that parent's need to be aware of is the second row seat headrest. It does not detatch and therefore requires spacing material between the seatback and the car seat. It does not preclude you from using the car seat but it does take extra effort for proper fitting IMO.

Also note that there has been a complaint of unexpected acceleration that resulted in a traffic fatality. But this issue was closed as the result of accident investigators determining that it was driver error.

XKPearl

·
Registered
110 Posts
Also, to put the above in perspective I checked the NHTSA on a 2006 4Runner and it has 25 complaints. Like the Commander, many are duplicates. The 4Runner complaints run the gammit from tire blow outs, steering, suspension, windshield, drivetrain, electrical failures, etc. w/ one injury as the result of a complete electrical/engine failure.

XKPearl

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
I remember when the Ford Escape first came out (2001 model year) and a few owners started complaining about the vehicles stalling while driving. It mostly occurred while coasting down hill...the engine would just shut off.

Unfortunately, Ford wasn't able to provide a true fix until the second half of the 2003 model year. I hope that isn't that case with the Commander.....

XKPearl,

As far as the 4Runner, not to worry. I read the 4Runner forum every day and I've never once heard of an owner complain about the engine shutting down....and that forum has many times the members here, so the complaint opportunity is much higher.

Based solely upon the information I find on this forum, it seems that the level of quality is not increasing, which means we will probably buy a second 4Runner instead of a Commander. Or we might even go with a new Xterra, but they seem a bit cheap in comparison. If the new Pathfinder had a more capable 4wd system, we would consider it...but its 4wd system isn't good for much more than a snowy road. The LR3 has a good 4wd system, but the reliability doesn't seem much better than the Jeep.

Hmmm.......I wish the FJ Cruiser wasn't so damn ugly or we'd get one of those!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't know the basis for such claims of few 4Runner complaints on 4Runner forums. Toyota's official 4Runner forum:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/

This forum has 8,631 members w/ over 20,252 threads and of these, Problems and Warranty Issues w/ the 4Runner has accounted for 6,852 posts!! Compair this w/ only 4,798 posts on driving the 4Runner Off-Road.

This w/ the documented cases of steering issues and blow outs as well as total electrical/engine failures w/ the 2006 4Runner, I just don't buy your claim as you appear to be casting stones from a glass house.

Good luck on your new purchase regardless the choice. As far as the Commander and this forum goes: At some point you have to either sh*t or get off the pot.

XKPearl:)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just to add fuel to the fire, I typed in the word "stall" in the 4Runner "Problems" forum and got back three pages of hits w/ many hundreds of member replies.

What does this show??? Absolutely nothing, just as your claims show nothing.

The Commander is brand new w/out its own history w/ the exception that the basic drivetrain/platform is a duplicate of the 2005 car of the year. If someone has a problem w/ their Commander (or 4Runner for that matter), it is a problem for them no matter how many may or may not have the same problem. But I think it is unfair to make any sweeping claim that these issues are endemic to the Commander based on the small sample of two forums that repeat problems w/ the same few individual vehicles. Time will tell and maybe I'll own the only Commander that works and the rest will be slated for the trash pile.

Anyway, again goodluck w/ whatever make/model you pick.

XKPearl

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
XKPearl said:
I don't know the basis for such claims of few 4Runner complaints on 4Runner forums. Toyota's official 4Runner forum:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/

This forum has 8,631 members w/ over 20,252 threads and of these, Problems and Warranty Issues w/ the 4Runner has accounted for 6,852 posts!! Compair this w/ only 4,798 posts on driving the 4Runner Off-Road.

This w/ the documented cases of steering issues and blow outs as well as total electrical/engine failures w/ the 2006 4Runner, I just don't buy your claim as you appear to be casting stones from a glass house.

Good luck on your new purchase regardless the choice. As far as the Commander and this forum goes: At some point you have to either sh*t or get off the pot.

Interesting point of view, but once again completely invalid. The fact of the matter is that the 4Runner forum you mentioned is for all 4 generations of the 4Runner, not just the latest generation. That said, most of the complaints posted come from the earlier generations of the 4Runner, many of which have more than 200,000 miles on them. Since you seem so interested in your own research, then go ahead and start doing some statistical research and you'll see that I'm correct--the vast majority of problem posts are from high-mileage early generation 4Runners.

Even if we include the skewed numbers from the early generation vehicles and compare it to the numbers on this forum, the 4Runner still comes out ahead. After all, this Commander forum has 33% more "problem" posts than it has total members!!! The 4Runner forum has 22% less "problem" posts than it has members. If we were to compare 4th generation "problem" posts only, that number would be much, much lower.

Look, you can deny it all you want, but the evidence is clear and accurate when it comes to reliability data. You can deny the data from Consumer Reports or JD Powers if you want to, but then you just might end up purchasing a vehicle that is more likely to end up back at the dealership. Oops...to late, I guess. Hmmm... maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones. Maybe you should go buy a lottery ticket!

I honestly wish you luck with your Commander in the future. If this forum is any indication, you'll definitely need it. As far as me.....well, I pretty much made up my mind that my odds aren't very good for buying a Commander that will prove to be reliable or trouble-free. Yes, I'm 99% sure that we'll look elsewhere if things don't get any better with the second year models. We are not in a hurry to buy, so there's plenty of time before we have to get off the pot!

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
XKPearl said:
Just to add fuel to the fire, I typed in the word "stall" in the 4Runner "Problems" forum and got back three pages of hits w/ many hundreds of member replies.

What does this show??? Absolutely nothing, just as your claims show nothing.

The Commander is brand new w/out its own history w/ the exception that the basic drivetrain/platform is a duplicate of the 2005 car of the year. If someone has a problem w/ their Commander (or 4Runner for that matter), it is a problem for them no matter how many may or may not have the same problem. But I think it is unfair to make any sweeping claim that these issues are endemic to the Commander based on the small sample of two forums that repeat problems w/ the same few individual vehicles. Time will tell and maybe I'll own the only Commander that works and the rest will be slated for the trash pile.

Anyway, again goodluck w/ whatever make/model you pick.

XKPearl
Good point....we both know that it is difficult to make any real comparisons from data on a public message forum. But we also both know that any problems deemed serious or dangerous by a manufacturer will warrant a recall to fix the problem.

For the sake of accurate comparison, maybe we should look at the recalls for the Commander and the 4th generation 4Runner. Somehow I doubt you'll be interested in that data.;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
TR4Runner said:
Good point....we both know that it is difficult to make any real comparisons from data on a public message forum. But we also both know that any problems deemed serious or dangerous by a manufacturer will warrant a recall to fix the problem.

For the sake of accurate comparison, maybe we should look at the recalls for the Commander and the 4th generation 4Runner. Somehow I doubt you'll be interested in that data.;)
Of course I was interested in that data and have already looked into it:

The 2006 Toyota 4Runner has had no recall, and only a handful (less than a thousand) Commanders built prior to Feb 2006 had a recall do to the omission of a plastc protective piece on the third row seat belt retractor. Though mine was built prior to Feb, it was not one of the few subject to the recall as mine had the correct part.

Also I looked into my drivetrain for recalls from the Grand Cherokee and found none. They only had one recall on the old NAG1 6cyl transmission (dipstick tube o-ring), but this does not pertain to the Commander. So bottom line is that my Jeep has had no recall at this point and the drivetrain has had no recall since 2005.

·
Registered
110 Posts
TR4Runner,

I don't know if this will help you at all as you have access to a relative's Commander, but we now have a new 2006 4Runner Sport Edition at work that is white just like my XK. The only difference to stock is that the factory 4Runner tires were replaced w/ All-Terrain Michelins. If I can figure out how to post pics, I can put my XK side by side w/ the Toyota for comparison sake.

I'm not sure I'd look at the Commander if you didn't need seven seats. As far as the Xterra goes, I've put many miles on both the older(smaller) as well as newer(larger) version. The current Xterra w/ the Off-Road package is fairly bomb proof but it has one big problem with me, it's not a Jeep. There is a Jeep saying that Jeep owners/lovers understand:

It's a Jeep Thing, You wouldn't understand!!

later,

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just got my car back last night, 11 days later. Thay replaced the Front Control Module. They "think" that was the problem. While Jeep had my car, they could'nt replicate the issue. I just hope this doesn't happen again!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi there- I don't know if this will be of any help, but I have an 06 limited commander v8 and have experienced the "shutting off" 2 times since we purchased the vehicle in early July. The first time, my husband was driving about 5 mph and turning a corner. All of a sudden, the car died. Same happened to me 3 days ago while waiting at a stop light. I called the dealership and we brought it in (only 1900 miles on it at this point). They tested and said they found that the MAP sensor was bad and that was causing this problem. They replaced under warranty of course and we got the car back today. I am hoping we have no further problems with this as other than this, I absolutely love the car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, that is very interesting to know. Thank you for sharing! I'm glad that when it happened to you, you weren't going fast. It is interesting that they replaced different things in each of our cars. Keep me posted on if your car is fixed or not. It is so freaky!!!! I appreciate you telling your story!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
For anyone experiencing this problem, please post your build date (can be found on the sticker on the driver side door).

Also post if the dealer has replaced anything on your vehicle in attempt to fix it and if it appears to have fixed the probem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just purchased a commander and i happend to me 3 times also and the dealer said they dont see a problem I had this jeep for 2 weeks and already has problems. Never had problems when i had a jap car.

1 - 20 of 258 Posts