Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... the wifey ripped the passenger side mirror off our Commander. The dealer quoted $200 for the mirror, $157 for the labor. I can get the part for $104, but I'm worried about doing the work myself. Has anyone replaced one that can offer me some suggestions?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Yah, I replaced my wife a few years ago, but it is not an easy task.

Edit: ...but it was a pretty good deal.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Yah, I replaced my wife a few years ago, but it is not an easy task.

Edit: ...but it was a pretty good deal.
I hope you didn't replace her with a $104.00 part. :)

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I could get into a lot of trouble here....... but did you notice why I editted the post?:rofl: She (wifey two) likes me. :kiss:

·
Registered
346 Posts
I too would be curious how difficult it is, to replace the mirror :) - my wife did the same thing last year, but it only cracked the plastic casing, the mirror is in tact and still works - so mine is simply cosmetics, but I do want to replace it sometime. The cost is outrageous.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats all that is broken on mine too I believe... just shattered the outer casing. I've worked on old cars all my life, so I'm fairly handy... it's just the new stuff that scares me.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I replaced the side mirror on the wife's Camry. It was a snap - popped off a cover on the inside of the door, unplugged electronics, loosened a bolt, reverse with new mirror. I know that's an apples to watermelons comparison, but it should be close to the same procedure I imagine. Maybe a little exploratory dismantling will give you a better idea?

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
I replaced the side mirror on the wife's Camry. It was a snap - popped off a cover on the inside of the door, unplugged electronics, loosened a bolt, reverse with new mirror. I know that's an apples to watermelons comparison, but it should be close to the same procedure I imagine. Maybe a little exploratory dismantling will give you a better idea?
On the Commander you have to take the whole door panel off.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I'll add some pomegranates to those apples and watermelons...

I did the exact same as posted by webjones on my wife's Subaru.

What is is about the ladies ripping off side mirrors...?:(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If that's true about the door panel having to come off, that was my fear. Before you know it, I'll have the entire door dismantled just to replace the housing.

·
Registered
346 Posts
That is what I was told by the dealer - and while I'm not a mechanic, I can tear stuff apart with the best of them, and there aren't usually too many pieces left over.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I have taken my door panels off twice.:) It is very easy to do, but invest in a good panel removal tool. There are three screws - one up in the top corner by the dash, one behind the door pull (arm rest) and one behind the handel. The plug behind the door handel is held on by a plastic strap - be careful so it doesn't break. Use a panel removal tool because if you try this with a screwdriver, you will break the yellow plastic clips that hold the door panel on. They go for about $5 each!:grim: The mirror is bolted to the door, so once the panel is off, it is very easy to replace. I would not pay $157 to do this! Good luck.:eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mirror replacement

Last wknd an F150 driver took out my drivers side mirror, he will supply a new mirror, is this easy to change? I see 3 screws to take out in the door panel, so do I just take the panel off then the mirror and replace? any special tools needed?

Don't really want to take it to a shop if I don't need too.

Thx

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Last wknd an F150 driver took out my drivers side mirror, he will supply a new mirror, is this easy to change? I see 3 screws to take out in the door panel, so do I just take the panel off then the mirror and replace? any special tools needed?

Don't really want to take it to a shop if I don't need too.

Thx
Moved your question over here. Read above for a possible answer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have taken my door panels off twice.:) It is very easy to do, but invest in a good panel removal tool. There are three screws - one up in the top corner by the dash, one behind the door pull (arm rest) and one behind the handel. The plug behind the door handel is held on by a plastic strap - be careful so it doesn't break. Use a panel removal tool because if you try this with a screwdriver, you will break the yellow plastic clips that hold the door panel on. They go for about $5 each!:grim: The mirror is bolted to the door, so once the panel is off, it is very easy to replace. I would not pay $157 to do this! Good luck.:eek:rangehat:
That's fine.... What will be the cost of panel removal tool?!!:banana_hitit:

·
Registered
20 Posts
It must be a female thing. My wife never has any idea where the right side of her vehicle is in relation to the road. She also has never met a pot hole full of water that she has no problem driving through at speed. Both have cost a small fortune in repairs. Mirrors, tires, bent wheels, rocker panels, garage door trim, the list goes on & on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jeep Commander Side Mirror

Once you have the door panel off it's pretty straightforward. I would recommend a deep well socket (8mm I think), I had some trouble reaching the nuts with a regular socket.

i also highly recommend putting a small piece of electrical tape over the socket before you go after the nut, this makes it a real snug fit and reduces the chances of dropping it down into the door frame once it comes off the bolt (This will result in dismantling the door to get a small nut out of the bottom). You can do the same trick when reinstalling the nuts as well.

It's funny how my wife never knows how it happens, but the paint on the mirror always matches the garage trim gouge thats at the same height as the mirror used to be.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
On my wifes 06 Tiburon, she took the drivers mirror off (she hit a Hummer!). Found a black one on ebay, and when it arrived, I took the door panel off (no small feat). I looked forever and once I found the mounting bolts for the mirror, all I saw were threads. The mirror is bolted to the door from the outside! The trim on the base of the mirror is 2-piece. I took a small screwdriver and popped it apart, and there were the 3 bolts holding it to the door! Why are the Koreans smarter than us? :icon_confused:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts