Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I dropped in the new Silverstar ULTRA bulbs in both my low beams (9006 SU bulbs) and high beams (9005 SU bulbs). A world of difference over the stock Philips bulbs. The light is definitely wider and whiter.

I originally thought I could only get the low beams in the ULTRAS because the book said that the high beams were a 9005XS (straight plug) bulb. They don't make the Silverstar ULTRA in the 9005XS bulb yet so I picked up just a set of normal Silverstars for the high beam.

I got home, opened the hood and realized that "darn it" the bulb was a 9005 (right-angle plug) not a 9005XS. I don't know if this was because the 2007 Commander isn't listed (so I was going off the 2006 Commander) in the Sylvania book or if it was just a misprint.

I went back to the store and luckily they had some 9005s in the ULTRAs.

They are probably the whitest, brightest DOT-legal bulb you are going to find out there right now.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, they are the closest things you are going to get to HIDs on the Commander and still be street-legal. I am anxiously awaiting for Sylvania to come out with the ULTRAs to fit the fog light bulbs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
rubicontrail.net said:
Yeah, they are the closest things you are going to get to HIDs on the Commander and still be street-legal. I am anxiously awaiting for Sylvania to come out with the ULTRAs to fit the fog light bulbs.
;)
Not from what I've read. Check these out... just bought a set. hirheadlights.com

·
Registered
541 Posts
I dont mean to rain in your parade, but I would never buy a product or provide personal information to such an unprofessional looking website. Let us know how it goes/work. Good luck. I am myself considering the SilverStars. I wonder if I could find them at Walmart. I hate to pay shipping for such a small product.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Took the plunge... What a difference from the ghetto xenon lights I had purchased from Ebay. I guess those are going to my Galant.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Dabitz said:
I dont mean to rain in your parade, but I would never buy a product or provide personal information to such an unprofessional looking website. Let us know how it goes/work. Good luck. I am myself considering the SilverStars. I wonder if I could find them at Walmart. I hate to pay shipping for such a small product.
Those HIR Lights really are the best, other than HID. get them off Ebay and make sure they are Toshiba if you choose to try them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
These bulbs are great! The color is not HID style, just slightly whiter than stock. But there is an increase in the overall light on the road. I've had silverstars before (XJ) and these appear to put out way more light. Tight squeeze getting them into the sockets, but all good now. I used ebay (same seller).:cool:

·
Registered
541 Posts
The difference is HUGE. I had a very dark area by home. Just by driving through it I can tell the huge difference the SilverStars make. Expensive, but worth every penny... Snowstorms will be here before we know it. At least for me in NJ. Another happy customer here.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Rubi.trail, do I read your post correctly re: Silverstar Ultra bulbs nomenclature?
ergo:
Commander low beam = 9006SU (right angle plug)
Commander high beam = 9005SU (also right angle plug)

They sound great...

tnx.

Commo
Dearborn, MI

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Commo said:
Rubi.trail, do I read your post correctly re: Silverstar Ultra bulbs nomenclature?
ergo:
Commander low beam = 9006SU (right angle plug)
Commander high beam = 9005SU (also right angle plug)
Yes, those are the right numbers.

The lamp replacement guide doesn't list the 2007 Commander yet and I initially went off the 2006 Commander. Now, I don't know if it was a misprint or if they were used in the 2006 Commanders, but they listed a 9005XS (straight plug) for the high beam. However I found my 2007 Commander just uses a 9005 (right angle plug) bulb.

The SU designates Silverstar ULTRA while an ST designates just a normal Silverstar.

The light is a bright white (more like an Acura HID than a BMW HID). They are not quite HID brightness but quite close. You definitely can see a big difference.

I plan to get the standard Silverstars for the fog lights as there is no Silverstar ULTRA in that bulb type.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Could anyone comment if there is any difference in the way Smartbeam functions with this mod that you are aware of or noticed...Thank you

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I was just curious since they seem to be much brighter that they would possibly have some effect on the sensors that operate smartbeam. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Perks said:
These bulbs are great! The color is not HID style, just slightly whiter than stock. But there is an increase in the overall light on the road. I've had silverstars before (XJ) and these appear to put out way more light. Tight squeeze getting them into the sockets, but all good now. I used ebay (same seller).:cool:

Just so I'm clear I was referring to the HIR bulbs from Toshiba. More light than Silverstars, which has been documented by others scientifically.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mentronyc said:
Rubicontrail, How much did you pay for the Silverstars ULTRA for the Low Beam? Did you ever find the High Beam set?

I’m asking because today I went to a truck and cars accessories place and they wanted to charge me $225 for each set of HID. They were charging me for some extra wires and some kind of device that give extra power for the lights. Which I have not idea what they were talking about. So im going to end up doing it my self. Instead of getting HID I’ll just get the Silverstars Ultra. I just want to have an idea on how much they go for.
Like $40 / pair. And yes, I stated in the post you quoted that I went back and got the high beams.

In addition to being more expensive, aftermarket HIDs are not legal for on-road use. The device that you are talking about is a ballast. It gives the HIDs enough energy to turn on without flickering.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts