Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There has been a lot of discussion on the board regarding the substantial opening below the air filter when running the AEM intake. After daily driving mine for 10,000+ miles I've had no issues, but with an upgraded tire size and a sloppy winter I decided to work out a fix. I was also tired of not being able to use an auto carwash with bottom blast...

After a few tasty cold ones I got busy in the garage with the tape measure and cardboard. With the filter removed access was easy. After getting my template trimmed to size I transferred the shape on the only piece of plastic I had, which turned out to be 1/4" plexiglass.

The AEM heatshield allows for a simple shape, and its mounting bracket leaves an exposed stud which made fastening super easy. For some preventative maintenance I notched the plastic where some wires were rubbing. I'll let the pics do the rest of the talking.

Finally, just because I'm all about the greater good, here's my template with measurements for those who want to make one at home.

I'd say any semi rigid plastic 1/8" - 1/4" would work fine. I just happened to have the plexi from a previous project and liked how it brightened things up.

If anyone wants me to make one, I've got enough plexi to make 2-3 before I'll need to seek alternative material. :icon_smile:

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Sorry to resurect a deader, but I just got an AEM for my 4.7. Did you notice a "thumping" when getting on the throttle starting at ~2000 rpm or is my engine about to blow up? LOL. I'm thinking that it's just the loss of the stock intake silencer and I;m just hearing intake noise on the now free breathing engine. It helps me feel better if it's not just me, ya know?

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
Sorry to resurect a deader, but I just got an AEM for my 4.7. Did you notice a "thumping" when getting on the throttle starting at ~2000 rpm or is my engine about to blow up? LOL. I'm thinking that it's just the loss of the stock intake silencer and I;m just hearing intake noise on the now free breathing engine. It helps me feel better if it's not just me, ya know?
I don't know what the difference is between your AEM and my AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 Intake System & Pro 5R Filter and I have no noise at all with mine.

I also have the 4.7L Flex Fuel V-8.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
The AEM is basically a straight pipe from the old airbox location to the TB, so I'm fairly certain it's just airflow resonance from the intake. There usually is a "well" in stock intakes that acts as an echo chamber that generates a negative wave, and the use of several bends in the tube, which essentially "cancels" out the resonance. It's probably just that "oh, crap" moment you get after doing something mechanical and you panic at the new noise...hahahaha!!! I'm pretty sure it's just the sound of liberated horsepower....;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts