Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'd like to know the answer. I read about valve seats dropping in the early HEMI's. That suggest Chrysler has remedied this issue on their later engines. Does anyone know since when?

Also, is there anything that can be done to prevent this?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
5,830 Posts
Hi, I'd like to know the answer. I read about valve seats dropping in the early HEMI's. That suggest Chrysler has remedied this issue on their later engines. Does anyone know since when?

Thank you!
I believe this issue was addressed in the 09 & later models.

There really isn't much you can do to prevent it - other just keeping up with your regular maintenance/service schedule.

·
Registered
480 Posts

Thank you!

It was addressed in the '09 and '10 models which got the redesigned VVT Hemi.

As far as preventing it goes, you give yourself the best chance of avoiding it by keeping engine temps down. Overheating greatly increases the risk of something warping and allowing a valve seat to drop. In fact, almost all valve seat drops are on an engine that's overheated once in its life.

You could also pull the heads and replace the valve seats to completely prevent the problem, but expect a shop to charge a thousand dollars to do this work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe this issue was addressed in the 09 & later models.

There really isn't much you can do to prevent it - other just keeping up with your regular maintenance/service schedule.
It was addressed in the '09 and '10 models which got the redesigned VVT Hemi.

As far as preventing it goes, you give yourself the best chance of avoiding it by keeping engine temps down. Overheating greatly increases the risk of something warping and allowing a valve seat to drop. In fact, almost all valve seat drops are on an engine that's overheated once in its life.

You could also pull the heads and replace the valve seats to completely prevent the problem, but expect a shop to charge a thousand dollars to do this work.
Thank you guys... That means I am playing the Russian roulette with my 2006/7 engine... I will consider importing the refurbished heads and have them swapped before **** hits the fan...

·
Super Moderator
5,830 Posts
Thank you guys... That means I am playing the Russian roulette with my 2006/7 engine... I will consider importing the refurbished heads and have them swapped before **** hits the fan...
That's probably the thing to do if you have the budget.

·
Registered
207 Posts
One thing worth considering - on forums one mostly hears the bad news when something goes wrong, like the posts from Chrysler owners that have had dropped valve seats with the 5.7 Hemi engine. It is also true that there are tens of thousands or more 5.7 Hemi engines out there that have not had this issue, but one never hears about that on forums. It is not necessarily inevitable that this is going to happen. My 06 Hemi Commander now has 147,000 miles on it. So far no problems. (knock on wood) I have heard of many 05-07 Hemi engines in Dodge Ram trucks that have over 200k miles without any problems. If you have 2 out of each 100 (2%) engines that have this problem, which is probably a conservative number, that may represent hundreds or thousands of engines that have had this problem, but it also means that you have a 98% chance you won't have that particular problem with your engine. It's important to keep things in perspective.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have heard of many 05-07 Hemi engines in Dodge Ram trucks that have over 200k miles without any problems. If you have 2 out of each 100 (2%) engines that have this problem, which is probably a conservative number, that may represent hundreds or thousands of engines that have had this problem, but it also means that you have a 98% chance you won't have that particular problem with your engine. It's important to keep things in perspective.
Yup, that's part of my equation now... I am considering the risks vs costs...

I've learned from the service bulletin, that it affects vehicles with engines VIN D, T and Z. Where do I find that in the VIN code? Mr. Google says eight digit indicates the engine type, but my VIN does not contain any letter on 8th position... Any advice? Or anyone understand the bulletin differently (my english could be blamed for wrong understanding of the bulletin)

My VIN code: 1J8H3E8257Y549923

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,830 Posts
Yup, that's part of my equation now... I am considering the risks vs costs...

I've learned from the service bulletin, that it affects vehicles with engines VIN D, T and Z. Where do I find that in the VIN code? Mr. Google says eight digit indicates the engine type, but my VIN does not contain any letter on 8th position... Any advice? Or anyone understand the bulletin differently (my english could be blamed for wrong understanding of the bulletin)

My VIN code: 1J8H3E8257Y549923
@CmdrOrvis;

Since you don't have D, T or Z anywhere in your VIN, I'd say your safe in that regard.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Read the last paragraph more closely. This bulletin is for VIN codes that have a problem with exhaust seats more often. It states other engines besides the D,T, and Z have problems more often with intake seats or both. I may have that backwards.

I have read several Dodge forums trying to figure out if I have a ticking time bomb under the hood. There seems to be no definitive answer for why the Gen 3 Hemi drops valve seats. People know the interference fit is bad, they know overheating seems to contribute, some say MDS is to blame.

Some Magnums, Chargers,Rams, XKs, etc run forever without problems. Some die with 50k on the odometer.

Your VIN indicates you have a 5.7 Hemi Multiple Displacement Gasoline engine. Invest in a crystal ball or some Edelbrock heads for a Gen 3 hemi.

I think I'm going to save up and get the Edelbrock heads, shorty headers, and better exhaust. Hopefully mine doesn't drop a seat before I can scrape the nickels together.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
338 Posts
The version of the hemi that came out in 2009 dubbed "eagle" addressed the valve seat issue along with other changes. I know my 2010 has it, not sure if all 2009s do but I would hope so.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Read the last paragraph more closely. This bulletin is for VIN codes that have a problem with exhaust seats more often. It states other engines besides the D,T, and Z have problems more often with intake seats or both. I may have that backwards.

I have read several Dodge forums trying to figure out if I have a ticking time bomb under the hood. There seems to be no definitive answer for why the Gen 3 Hemi drops valve seats. People know the interference fit is bad, they know overheating seems to contribute, some say MDS is to blame.

Some Magnums, Chargers,Rams, XKs, etc run forever without problems. Some die with 50k on the odometer.

Your VIN indicates you have a 5.7 Hemi Multiple Displacement Gasoline engine. Invest in a crystal ball or some Edelbrock heads for a Gen 3 hemi.

I think I'm going to save up and get the Edelbrock heads, shorty headers, and better exhaust. Hopefully mine doesn't drop a seat before I can scrape the nickels together.

Thats not the way I read it at all - It plainly says that both exhaust and intakes can be effected in the D,T and Z engines. There is no reference to any other engine codes having this problem other than referencing Chrysler engines in general of all types that may have had dropped valve seats having no pattern showing more intake or exhaust seat failures - read it again. Dropped valve seats do occur occasionally in most engine brands at times

I have never heard of this service bulletin however. It's not from Chrysler but from an organization for engine rebuild shops. Could be more accurate than if it was produced by Chrysler however.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It really doesn't matter what VIN this bulletin is for. The problem exists in more engines than called out by this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts