Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So… a few months ago, I semi-screwed up my Sirius radio receiving by installing my roof rack. It affected it somewhat, but it still mostly worked.

Then, I added a surplus stainless steel fish screen from Lower Monumental Dam to make a cargo floor. (My good ol’ buddy Dan is a scrap man) That pretty much finished it off, since the antenna is now blocked off from the sky. It does still work while I’m parked… depending on what direction I’m sitting. But while moving, it just doesn't cut it.

While things were apart, I (foolishly) thought the back of the RAQ radio in the dash would have a GPS type connector. I thought I’d add just another antenna and put it somewhere else on the roof. But, noooOOOooo, the actual Sirius radio receiver is under the passenger side back seat under a removable carpet cover.

And… the Sirius radio operates on the satellite S band of 2.3 to 2.4 Ghz. GPS is 1.4 and 1.6 Ghz, (L1 and L2) so a GPS antenna won’t work anyway. We tried… we have several GPS antenna around the shop. The SMB type connector is the same for satellite radio and GPS, and even some cell phone stuff. It's this:

My cure is on the way. I bought a universal Sirius antenna from eBay for $16 shipped.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180361605942

It has the proper reverse style SMB connector and a nice long cable. I'll route it up forward, and sneak it out the front door's seal, and stick it via its magnet to the front corner of the Jeep's roof WHERE IT SHOULD'VE BEEN IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! Thank you, Jeep, for mounting the Sirius antenna on the back end, right where cargo racks etc. will block it from the sky IF USED.

The new antenna will leave the OEM one right where it is, avoiding sealing an open hole had I relocated it.

The alternative would be to order a $145 (the cheapest I could find) Sirius antenna install kit, with extension able. I think $16 beats $145 every time. :D

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Great idea, looking forward to your final report.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Regardless, it will still go silent whn you drive under a tree, or a large bird. :cowfrown:

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Regardless, it will still go silent whn you drive under a tree, or a large bird. :cowfrown:
Yeah, that's about it alright. Before the roof rack, it quit working when two measly inches of snow landed on the antenna. It doesn't take much to block out S band. Foliage on trees is more than enough.

UPDATE: We get into all kinds of repairs around here, including AM/FM and CB radios for the bigger customers. (As personal favors, as we don't work on consumer crap normally)

I remembered a Sirius antenna that had a damaged coax from routing thru a door seal. It was all but chopped in half from the latch. I did a little ransacking and found it. (WOOHOO!!) The molded connector also had bad damage right at the edge of the plastic mold.

But...

I kluged the thing together with an old GPS connector, and cut out the bad coax section. I did a Mickey Mouse splice with solder and heat shrink. I've done this before in pinches: I solder the center conductor and heat shrink it, then I pull the shield over that and solder and shrink that together. It's lossy as heck to high freq. RF, but when you're desperate...

I also had to peel back the shroud on the GPS connector so it would fit the plastic sleeve. (all but ruining it... I had to solder repair it) but... IT WORKS!! It's a complete P.O.S., but the sat's back! When the eBay antenna shows up, I'll route the coax properly and plant the new ant up front for good.

I also discovered during all this, that the receiver has about 10 seconds of buffer. Unplug the antenna, and the music (or Howard Stern, or whatever) keeps on going. That prevents brief drop outs I guess. So... if your underpass lasts longer than 10 seconds, it's gone. :)

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Hi Adondo, Could you post pics of how that hooks to the stock system, I am very interested in moving mine. for 16 bucks you cant go wrrong thanks, D

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm waiting for the new antenna to show up, then I'll post photos of the install.

I could've just used the Scotch taped together kluge I made for the test, but the coax has cuts in the jacket close to the ''hockey puck'' antenna end. I figured that for $16 I'd just install a new one.

I'm surprised at how easy the receiver is to get to. Just flip the passenger side rear seat all the way forward, then pop up the Velcroed carpet piece, and there 'tis. The connector's plastic locking plug is crammed against the back wall, so that's a semi-PITA to get unplugged. Other than that, it's easy to deal with.

It must just send audio to the dash unit as part of the wiring bundle. When I did the guage pod thing and removed it, I kinda' thought the satellite radio was an integrated part of the dash unit. Learn something new every day.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Im going to go look at mine right now!

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
I dont see it. Pass side

Driver side

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
D, passenger side is it. The box is partially under the middle seat, the antenna is the green/white plug on the back of the box.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Oh ok. Thanks! It didnt look like the pic Adondo posted.

I would lik to move it so I can put a roof rack on.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got it done on Saturday. Got busy after that, so here I am Sunday posting this.

Here's the sat receiver:

And a close up view of the antenna plug. (After it's out, of course)

And... where it is in the grand scheme of things:

The eBay replacement antenna:

And the underside:

Continued...

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Where I ''stuck it'' (It's a magnet mount after all! :) )

I followed the front door seal all the way down into the fender well area...

Continuing on to the back...
The trim just unsnaps. Notice the yellow trim tool on the seat. The cable is heading to the back thru the door post trim.

Fished past the door trim with a piece of gas welding rod. (Back door trim removed)

New coax plugged into the sat receiver box, after cable run is complete and hidden.

Continued...

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Closer look at the new antenna plugged into the receiver...

Back door reassembled.

The front door trim put back. The small cable tucks under the door seal.

The roof rack is no longer a problem!!!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Adondo your awesome!! Now I can get a cargo rack and not lose Ellis. I wonder if you could run two antennas? Great pics.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Two antennas? Likely not.

The antenna is actually more than just an antenna. (GPS ''hockey pucks, and satellite dish LNB's are also this way) It's an amplifier and down converter also, with circuitry galore inside. The coax connector feeds DC power up to the 'puck' antenna thru the coax cable.

I'm not sure what would happen if two were T'ed together, probably some kind of clash.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Yeah I figured it wouldnt work. Would be nice to have a better chance of not losing your signal! I just bought the same antenna off ebay. Thanks for the pics on routing the wire im gonna do the same. It looks good. D

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Great job! You have come up with a solution that many were looking for.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great job! You have come up with a solution that many were looking for.
Why, thank you. Thank you verrrry much. (Drawing a circle in the dirt with my bare toe)

After seeing these: http://www.leeparts.com/dodge_magnum/accessories/audio/sirius_satellite_radio_installation_kit.html for $158 plus S&H, I thought there HAD to be a better way to fix Jeep's stupid placement of the sat ant.

Here's the eBay seller's store with satellite antennas which cost 1/10 the price of Mopar: http://shop.ebay.com/ebuytopia/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

Here's the actual one I bought. It's a Dutch auction, meaning he has lots of them. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180361605942 How can you possibly beat $16 shipped and all?!? :D

And... the guy is 100% rated with almost 10,000 sales. That ain't easy to do on eBay... all it takes in one annoyed buyer to drop the percentage.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts