Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per thread title, looking for the original spec size for bolts used in the rear diff cover on a QTII (10 bolt), if anyone knows off hand? Just sheared the head off one (@ 20ft/lbs!) on bolt-up from a fluid change, and will need to replace once I get that bugger out. Would rather not pull a second to get the size if I can help it :)

Cheers and thanks,
Casey

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bolt out!

For those keeping score, me 1, bolt 0 :)

Still not clear on the size yet -- bolt head indicates grade 5, used 1/2" to take it off, but length and thread are a bit of a mystery still

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,233 Posts
I found this specification in two different searches I did Casey for the Commander 10 Bolt 8.25" rear differential cover;

Bolt size is 5/16-18 and .75 inches long. Stock bolt does not have a washer, base of the head of the bolt has ridges that are designed to help lock it in place with the proper spec of 30ft/lbs

If SAE, I would say they're probably 5/16"- 18 x 3/4".

Keep in mind .75 is the same as 3/4 so the information from both searches is the same.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great, many thanks!

-- Also answers some questions about the state of the diff -- the bolts on there had a variety of washers (lock and not), which I thought were a safe guess as non-original. I suspect the combination of the washer material and location led to weakening of the bolt neck, right where the washers were placed.

For the moment I've located a 5/16 18x3/4" w/ washer from around the house to keep my fresh RTV from completely warping, will try to hunt down a full set of flare head bolts asap.

Thanks again!
Casey

·
Administrator
6,233 Posts
Great, many thanks!

-- Also answers some questions about the state of the diff -- the bolts on there had a variety of washers (lock and not), which I thought were a safe guess as non-original. I suspect the combination of the washer material and location led to weakening of the bolt neck, right where the washers were placed.

For the moment I've located a 5/16 18x3/4" w/ washer from around the house to keep my fresh RTV from completely warping, will try to hunt down a full set of flare head bolts asap.

Thanks again!
Casey
Happy to help, let me know how it goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts