Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure by now this is covered someplace but I could not find it. I want to add the three skid plates to my Commander because today I found out they are not there like I thought. Anyway the Stealer wants $49 for the Transmission, $49 for the Front Suspension & $175 for the fuel tank skid plates, Has anyone found them for a better price anywhere? Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
May be best to get them from dealer. These parts weigh alot, so shipping could get expensive. I accidently bount front and rear skid plates and did not need them, because they came on the Limited which I have. Since it was a special order item, I could not return them. They are sitting in my garage. When I first bought them I was thinking it was part of off road pkg which had front tow hooks. Hey....I messed up! PM me if you have not made a move to get yours. Depending on where you are located (west coast?) shipping may not be that bad, but I am in Alaska.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Try mopar4less.com
1-800-748-2139 ASK for internet parts
By far the cheapest I have found on the net to include all sources I have seen on this forum.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ak Commander said:
May be best to get them from dealer. These parts weigh alot, so shipping could get expensive. I accidently bount front and rear skid plates and did not need them, because they came on the Limited which I have. Since it was a special order item, I could not return them. They are sitting in my garage. When I first bought them I was thinking it was part of off road pkg which had front tow hooks. Hey....I messed up! PM me if you have not made a move to get yours. Depending on where you are located (west coast?) shipping may not be that bad, but I am in Alaska.
You have factory skid plates on a limited that doesn't have the skid plate/tow hook pkg???
What year is yours?

I just bought all three from the dealer because my limited doesn't have any.

·
Registered
527 Posts
a49erFootballFan said:
I am sure by now this is covered someplace but I could not find it. I want to add the three skid plates to my Commander because today I found out they are not there like I thought. Anyway the Stealer wants $49 for the Transmission, $49 for the Front Suspension & $175 for the fuel tank skid plates, Has anyone found them for a better price anywhere? Thanks!
I think that is the way to go, by the time you pay for shipping at another site, you may pay more.

·
Registered
137 Posts
So let me get this right...regardless if your have a $40+ (Limited) or "trail-rated" Commander, w/out the 'off-road' package...you won't have skid plates?? How goofy.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Justforjeeps.com with 5% coupon (spring07) and ground shipping to NJ

252.00 - 12.60 discount + 76.88 shipping + 0 tax = $316.28

Vs. Dealership assuming your quote is the same in NJ = $292.11 including 7% tax

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dabitz said:
Justforjeeps.com with 5% coupon (spring07) and ground shipping to NJ

252.00 - 12.60 discount + 76.88 shipping + 0 tax = $316.28

Vs. Dealership assuming your quote is the same in NJ = $292.11 including 7% tax
Skid plates are heavy and you pay for that poundage. Best to get them from the dealer unless you can find a smokin' deal and don't have to pay for shipping.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Try this place: http://www.wholesalemopar.com/?iorb=4764 prices are good ($238 for the whole 3-piece set) and shipping is cheap. Shipping on the whole set of skidplates from FL to CA is under $20. I bought the tubular grille guard from them, good seller, quick shipping.

·
Registered
118 Posts
How dissapointing, I haven't been able to check but I think mine doesnt come with skid plates, it definately does not have tow hooks, but damn thats another 300 something dollars I need to spend to make sure the glue behind my trail rated badge doesn't fail.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I paid $368 for the three plates and chrome front tow hooks. Money well spent IMHO.
I took the prices from wholesalemopar to my dealer and he matched them, I saved the shipping but paid sales tax. $234.86 for skid plates & the rest for hooks (30 tax)

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have a 2006, limited, Hemi, trail rated and no skid plates. I couldn't figure that out either. you'd think that would be a stock item. I read somewhere on line that that was suppossed to be stock. Maybe the Stealer as A49r puts it keeps them to make a few bucks later?

·
Registered
577 Posts
The skid plates are part of the "off road package", which includes them and tow hooks. The trail rated badge means the t-case has a 4 lo. However, I do agree that it should be stock on ANY 4x4, not an extra charge item. Tow hooks , too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi,

I checked out under my JC today, and I have some stamped steel protections under the engine, and the distributor gearbox, are these the skid plates, or are those additionally? they look sort of "weak"

Tomi

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I originally ordered them from a deal in AZ only to have the shipping jump from $20 to $103. I called my dealer here and they price matched the fuel tank plate, so I paid $25 more to get them locally, but its worth it.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There is nothing weak about the skid plates, The factory installed a thin weaker plate on mine, You will want to replace them if you do any real off roading. I broke a bolt on the original ones on my first outting.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts