Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid question but I can't check my XK while at work.....do they come any type of skid plates on them? I have a base V6. Just wondering what extra I need to buy to go to Jeep Camp 2009

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
All Commanders come with at least a plastic skid plate on the front and for the gas tank. There is an optional package that has 3 metal skid plates--one for the front, one for the center and one for the gas tank. So what you have now depends on whether or not you have the optional package.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm I dont have the optional package. So it does come with one plastic cover for the gas tank. I need the Front Suspension and Transfer Case skid plates?

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Hmm I dont have the optional package. So it does come with one plastic cover for the gas tank. I need the Front Suspension and Transfer Case skid plates?
There should be a plastic one on the front. The best thing to do is get under there and look.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im looking at the OEM set from Mopar. Are these good enougg? I have the Chrysler discount so I get 25% off.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Im looking at the OEM set from Mopar. Are these good enougg? I have the Chrysler discount so I get 25% off.
Right now those are the only ones available for the Commander except for these---->http://www.4xguard.com/Products/Types%20of%20Skid%20Plates.html

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Just wondering what extra I need to buy to go to Jeep Camp 2009
By the way, no word yet on whether or not there will be a Camp Jeep this year. They didn't have it last year.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Without a lift, I doubt you will be on a trail that will require skid plates.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry I mistyped Im talking about the Silverton, CO trip in July

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a 3.7L base model also. It came with the plastic engine skid plate. I ordered the steel engine and transfer case skid plates soon after I got it. When I went to install them I found out that you can not install the transfer case skid plate unless you also get the steel skid plate for the gas tank. The Tcase skid attaches to the gas tank skid plate. The engine skid plate attaches easily.

John

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome Thanks for the info. I just got back from the Jeep dealer and it would cost $225 for a full set. I see that the installation looks fairly easy for the front but anyone have insight on the gas tank skid plate?

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I paid the dealer to do the gas tank as you must remove the tank to install it. The other two were easy to install in the driveway.

·
Registered
68 Posts
hey go to justforjeeps.com great site. as for the guy who said u wont need plates unless u have a lift wouldnt u more likly need plates if u didnt need a lift concidering your closer to the ground. i have been down all types of rocky trials were my gas tank hs been protected from rocks and branches especially going over logs

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I put my mods in order as to importance:

1. 2" Lift
2. Hitch w/bezel
3. Front Tow Hooks/"D" Ring for hitch
4. Skid Plates OEM
5. Geolander 265/70/17s

Eventually front push bar with winch attachment

Figured if I stuck to this list I could slowly build my XK up as money comes available

2" Lift is first and foremost

Thanks for the help

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
hey go to justforjeeps.com great site. as for the guy who said u wont need plates unless u have a lift wouldnt u more likly need plates if u didnt need a lift concidering your closer to the ground. i have been down all types of rocky trials were my gas tank hs been protected from rocks and branches especially going over logs
I was referring to the fact that at Camp Jeep he wouldn't need them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts