Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some armor and have a few questions.

Does anyone own the Mopar suspension plate? if so do you like it? if not what do you have and why did you choose it over mopar?

Anyone know where to go to get rock rails for a not so ungodly price?:icon_confused:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Here, here! Good thread 'ole chap! I've been wondering the same lately about under belly armour, rock rails and such.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
There are many threads on this but the short answer is that there are three factory skid plates that offer the best protection, you can then purchase the 4xGuard belly plate for the middle section and they also make one for the front. So far those are the only ones used by members (other than the no longer available getlost4x4 front skid used with the bumper).

Rockey Road makes in my opinion the best rock rail but if you search for "Rails" you will find a couple others.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks 49er...i realize there is a lot of info...however it is scattered and nothing came up when i searched for skid playes and suspension guards...but thank you gor that info

·
2,248 Posts
Actually there is one more skidplate, but you do not need it unless you have an auxillary gas tank.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I am looking for some armor and have a few questions.

Does anyone own the Mopar suspension plate? if so do you like it? if not what do you have and why did you choose it over mopar?

Anyone know where to go to get rock rails for a not so ungodly price?:icon_confused:

I have all three Mopar skids and absolutely love them. They could be a little thicker but unfortunately there not. Plus there the only skids on the market besides the 4xGuard Belly Skid. They come in handy at places like Rausch Creek since its really rocky there.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
What would we do without you jeep5253?

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Interesting note (depressing, really) - My '06 came with front and fuel tank skid plates. My wife's '08 Overland came with front, t-case and fuel tank skids. I figured since she won't go off road in hers, I'd just sneak the t-case skid off at the next oil change. Come to find out, the factory t-case skid bolts to the fuel tank skid. But if your xk didn't come with the t-case skid, the fuel tank skid doesn't have the tabs to bolt up the t-case piece. Bummer. So it's a 4xguard skid or nothing. My concern there is that it covers the cats and I worry about how hot they could get when idling along a trail for hours on end. I guess nobody has had any problem with their xk's burning down though...

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Interesting note (depressing, really) - My '06 came with front and fuel tank skid plates. My wife's '08 Overland came with front, t-case and fuel tank skids. I figured since she won't go off road in hers, I'd just sneak the t-case skid off at the next oil change. Come to find out, the factory t-case skid bolts to the fuel tank skid. But if your xk didn't come with the t-case skid, the fuel tank skid doesn't have the tabs to bolt up the t-case piece. Bummer. So it's a 4xguard skid or nothing. My concern there is that it covers the cats and I worry about how hot they could get when idling along a trail for hours on end. I guess nobody has had any problem with their xk's burning down though...
I dont see that being an issue. Im sure Russ at 4xGuard has spent plenty of hours on the trail without any issues with his lifted WK.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
You can swap the fuel tank skid to make it so the t-case plate will work. It should take an hour or two to swap them out. The fuel tank is held by the skid plate so all you have to do is remove the lines to the tank and remove the bolts holding the plate, it is not that hard to do. The tank skid plate with the bracket is slightly thicker than the one without because it is actually a plate and not just a cradle. The 4x belly guard has little to no affect on the exhaust heat because there is constantly flow through them. If they do heat up slightly it would cause far less damage than having a big hole in them from a rock or even a dented trans pan. In my opinion there are two plates missing on the XK. One to cover the bottom of the radiator that connects to the front skid plate, similar to the 4x front guard. The other plate missing is one that covers the area between the two "frame" rails behind the rear axle. My spare tire isn't there so there is basically a big open area.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
My concern there is that it covers the cats and I worry about how hot they could get when idling along a trail for hours on end. I guess nobody has had any problem with their xk's burning down though...
But there have been instances of the cats burning (melting) through the wiring harness and causing all sorts of resulting problems.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well thanks for everyones info...thats exactly what I thought,.,,Only the mopar and 4xbelly been looking for a while...and thats a little too much fab for me and my buddy... we dont work with much flat metal and dont have the time to fab up that stuff...oh well

I do think I have the front skid as it looks just like the picture...I have to check the fuel tank and transfer case plates though...

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I do think I have the front skid as it looks just like the picture...I have to check the fuel tank and transfer case plates though...
Be careful about this assumption because all XK's came with either a metal skid plate in the front or a plastic air deflector. If you have the plastic one it is not worth anything and will get ripped off very easily. Make sure it is the metal one before you intend to rely on it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the heads up..i was planning on getting under there tonight to take a closer look and see what I am going to purchase...Would it be wise to get the 4x underbelly if I dont have the other plates? Or would it work?

Cause if it turns out to be the plastic plate...I will be purchasing the mopar front skid and transfer case...or the 4x front skid and transfer or underbelly... would like to have it in to try and get em on before RC...

·
Registered
269 Posts
It's been mentioned in other threads but I'll repeat it. You can mount the Engine Skid and the 4X belly guard solo but you CANNOT mount the transfer plate skid without the fuel tank skid. They are designed to bolt together. I'm sure if you want to get creative with some pieces of metal you could figure something out to get around this restriction.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
It's been mentioned in other threads but I'll repeat it. You can mount the Engine Skid and the 4X belly guard solo but you CANNOT mount the transfer plate skid without the fuel tank skid. They are designed to bolt together. I'm sure if you want to get creative with some pieces of metal you could figure something out to get around this restriction.
This is true but remember that the fuel tank is directly inside the skid so don't go drilling into the plate without removing the whole thing first. In that case you would be better off to spend the $ and buy the right plate.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Drill into the fuel tank!!?? Are you nuts??!!! I was thinking of welding to it!!!

:eyemouth:

Just kidding!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good to know chaos... Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Im willing to bet your front skid plate is the plastic one.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts