Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2009 Commander Sport 3.7L 2wd, but I tend to go places that having skids would be beneficial. I have actually swapped out the suspension skid, but I am wondering if the transfer case skid is at all beneficial w/o the transfer case - is the anything there to be protected? Or should I just install the fuel tank skid and be done?

·
1,993 Posts
There nothing there to protect without the TC installed. If you hit that skid hard enough to need it you're probably getting stuck with 2wd anyway. The fuel tank skid you have is steel and you don't need to upgrade that unless you're installing the TC skid. That's the only diff between the two fuel skids is one has mounts for the TC skid. I would say the steel mopar suspension skid is the most important one you would need if you hit that real hard back up and switch lines.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The upgraded fuel tank skid has an extra layer of steel on it. I compared the two closely when I did my install. It's basically just another layer of the same gauge steel that the standard skid plate is made out of (almost like they took the standard skid and just tacked on another layer that has the tcase skid mounting points). It was heavier and more rigid.

If you do upgrade the gas tank skid, it couldn't hurt to get the t-case skid for another $40. That'll be one less area for a stick or rock to be able to extrude/jam into the undercarriage. In the 2WD models it'll help protect the output shaft of the trans as well.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Matt,

I see what you mean about possibly doing the extra skids for my 2wd, because I was driving on unpaved (read dirt) roads that had a lot of sticks popping up and hitting the bottom of the vehicle. I know a lot of them hit the suspension skid, but for peace of mind, it would be nice to had everything covered.

G

1 - 4 of 4 Posts