Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have noted what appears to be slack in the drive train. Symptoms appear worse when driving at a steady speed in the 35-45 MPH range where it feels like a standard shift vehicle when you are lugging the engine and you feel the jerking back and forth. Not actually that bad but it feels like the drive line is gaining slack and then catching back up and creating a back and forth condition with a small bump in either direction. Can also feel a small bump when slowing down at any speed. I am guessing it might be too much slack in the NVG 245 transfer case chain. Currently have 113,000 miles on it (4WD Hemi Limited) and it has never been off road. Potentially related factor is that I recently changed the front axle solenoid due to excessive binding when turning that caused the front locker to lock up when cold. That fixed the problem but I don't know how long this issue has existed as I only bough the XK at 112,000 miles. If it had existed a long time, that binding may had cause some front axle feedback into the transfer case and caused the chain to stretch. Does this sound feasible?
If not a stretched chain, what else might cause this problem?

·
Registered
480 Posts
It might just be MDS kicking in. I know I can feel it kick on and off rapidly when I'm cruising and it feels a lot like the engine is bogging down. There are also slight RPM changes when mine kicks in.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It might just be MDS kicking in. I know I can feel it kick on and off rapidly when I'm cruising and it feels a lot like the engine is bogging down. There are also slight RPM changes when mine kicks in.
That might explain the feeling when cruising but I get a solid bump when I let off the gas. Feels like slack in drive train. Anyone know how to test this externally? Should I feel the driveling slack when on a lift?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts