Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a solo camping trip. Took the Commander on the Fish Canyon Escape Trail in the Slate Mountains. My guidebook (Guide To Southern California Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails) rated it as easy, but the dry wash at the end was very rocky and slow going. My Commander is not lifted and I didn't hit anything, so it probably is easy. Used 4-low only on a few steep climbs and descents, not in the wash. Great time. My trail ended at the start of Goler Wash, which leads to Barker Ranch, Charles Manson's hangout and the location of his arrest. Really want to do that trip, but it was way too late in the day to consider it. Especially solo, especially during the week. You know, discretion is the better part of valor. For those of you not familiar with the area, I started just north of Trona, CA, crossed the mountains, and ended up about 15 miles south of Ballarat, CA.

Also will post pics of the ghost town Bodie (we named my son after it) and Bald Mountain Lookout. The roads to these locations are 2WD high-clearance gravel or dirt. Bodie is north of Lee Vining, CA, and Bald Mountain is between Mammoth Lakes, CA, and June Lake, CA.

That is not my soft drink cup, but I picked it up.

These are the Panamint Mountains

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Bald Mountain Lookout. That's Mono Lake in the distance.

Bald Mountain. There was a warming hut by the lookout. I'll have to come back snowmobiling this winter.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Cool pics, looks like a nice trip.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Been to Bodie several times, great history there. Used to camp at Mammoth during the summer with a group of friends. Nice Pictures, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Beautiful. I miss the west. Thanks for sharing man.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
great pics. thanks for sharing. not as green as the pics getlost 4x4 post, but still beautiful land.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Nice pics! Tnx for posting. Did you go there by yourself? That's exciting!

·
Registered
86 Posts
That "town" looks pretty cool, esp. the B&W. Makes it look like an antique postcard... Thanks for sharing!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts