Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a trip comming up that, well, it would be more convient to just sleep in the Jeep. Motels are about 50 miles away, and tent/camping will be difficult.

So, I started thinking about options to sleep in my Jeep. Food is taken care of. So are showers and bathroom. It would be, perhaps, 8 hours a night for 4 nights (well, 8 hours might be dreaming).

I'm 6 foot 1, 220 pounds.

I put the second and third rows down, and I couldn't streach out. I could, almost, cati-corner.

I have the 5.7 Limited. Moving the passenger seat all the way back and tip the seat back, forward, really doesn't help much.

Has someone found the tricks that would make sleeping in one, a good experience (at least as good as it could be).

Thanks

Tom

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I am 6' and could sleep in my Cherokee but yes you have to go diagonally and put your feet up on the seat back of the rolled forward second row seat.

I haven't had a need to sleep in my Commander yet.

·
Registered
556 Posts
thdbusch said:
I have a trip comming up that, well, it would be more convient to just sleep in the Jeep. Motels are about 50 miles away, and tent/camping will be difficult.

So, I started thinking about options to sleep in my Jeep. Food is taken care of. So are showers and bathroom. It would be, perhaps, 8 hours a night for 4 nights (well, 8 hours might be dreaming).

I'm 6 foot 1, 220 pounds.

I put the second and third rows down, and I couldn't streach out. I could, almost, cati-corner.

I have the 5.7 Limited. Moving the passenger seat all the way back and tip the seat back, forward, really doesn't help much.

Has someone found the tricks that would make sleeping in one, a good experience (at least as good as it could be).

Thanks

Tom
You should be fine, other than the 1,220 pounds.:p

·
Registered
24 Posts
I do quite a bit of sleeping/camping in my vehicles. Having only had my baby a couple weeks after a monstrous expedition I have to say.... wtf is up with the unbearable ridge/lip where the 2nd row seats fold “flat”. I’ve gotta renew this thread cuz i plan to be sleeping in her for awhile after having just been evacuated from the CZU LIGHTENING FIRES here in Santa Cruz CALI. While I’m so thankful to have such a pretty beast to sleep in and I’m very thankful for having plenty of experience doing so in my other SUVs... this one is sorta frkn KILLIN me! Any suggestions about what to do about the unbearable ridge where the seats go down, other than the obvious: plywood, expensive camping mat, stupid air mattress, putting 2nd row up and fetal positionIng in very rear?
I have LOTS of “comfort” questions btw... but they’ll hafta wait till the smoke clears🔥😪 and I see what’s still standing at home.

·
Administrator
15,530 Posts

·
Administrator
6,939 Posts
I do quite a bit of sleeping/camping in my vehicles. Having only had my baby a couple weeks after a monstrous expedition I have to say.... wtf is up with the unbearable ridge/lip where the 2nd row seats fold “flat”. I’ve gotta renew this thread cuz i plan to be sleeping in her for awhile after having just been evacuated from the CZU LIGHTENING FIRES here in Santa Cruz CALI. While I’m so thankful to have such a pretty beast to sleep in and I’m very thankful for having plenty of experience doing so in my other SUVs... this one is sorta frkn KILLIN me! Any suggestions about what to do about the unbearable ridge where the seats go down, other than the obvious: plywood, expensive camping mat, stupid air mattress, putting 2nd row up and fetal positionIng in very rear?
I have LOTS of “comfort” questions btw... but they’ll hafta wait till the smoke clears🔥😪 and I see what’s still standing at home.
Honestly, I do a lot of camping - but I've never really slept in my XK for any length of time, other then at a rest stop on long trips, so, I wouldn't know where to begin.

Stay safe & far away from those wildfires @LunaSea831.

Reactions: LunaSea831

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ive slept in my xk quite a few times (mountain acreage in nc) and have found it quite comfortable. I'm 6', and can't do the cadicorner gimmick... but sleeping with my head close to the tailgate and my feet between the front seats works great. I have a 3 inch foam pad piece that I've cut to fit the back space which helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts