Jeep Commander Forum banner

SmartBeam headlights

7K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  sespe commander 
#1 ·
Can someone please explain to me how the Smartbeam headlights work? The owner's manual is only slightly undescriptive on this. I see in the dash options for Low/High beam and Low beam. Which option does what??

#2 ·
From what I understand the Smartbeam technology uses the forward facing camera behind the rear view mirror. When the road ahead is dark and there are no oncoming cars then the lights automatically switch to the high beams. When the camera sees an oncoming vehicle then the lights will automatically gradually switch back to the low beams. This ideal if you frequently drive on desolate dark roads.

Because the Smartbeam uses the forward facing camera you have to make sure the line of sight is unobustructed (e.g. iPass). At least this is what I understand from my 2008 XK.

#7 ·
#8 ·
Great link. I'm going to try the demonstration mode. That's a nice Easter Egg.

#9 ·
I used these on highway 550 in colorado a couple weeks ago and they really are awesome. They work great and turn off immediately if a car is coming. It also has pretty good logic for reflective signs.

#10 ·
I tested this out tonight for the first time and it works great! Took a dark desolate road through an area heavily populated with forest preserves and loved how the lights slowly dimmed back to the normal beams when an oncoming car was present. Very neat technology and good logic for reflective signs indeed as IndyMTB mentioned.

#11 ·
Has anyone tried to engage the demo mode? I've tried a couple of times and nothing. Here are the instructions on how to do it. I got them from the link jeep5253 provided.

Let me know if anyone manages to get this to work.

SmartBeam demonstration mode:

The SmartBeam automatic high beam system has a demonstration mode. This mode allows the function of the automatic high beams accompanied with that of the high beam indicator in the instrument cluster to be demonstrated while the vehicle is stationary and under any ambient lighting conditions. Besides demonstrating the automatic high beam system, this mode will confirm that the system electronics and circuitry are functional. This mode also incorporates a feature that allows a functional test of the imager optics to be performed.

NOTE: The SmartBeam Demonstration Mode will NOT be functional when a diagnostic scan tool is connected to the 16-way Data Link Connector (DLC) beneath the instrument panel on the driver side. Once the demonstration sequence has begun, a detected vehicle speed input of over 8 kilometers-per-hour (5 miles-per-hour) will cause the sequence to be aborted and the automatic high beam system to return to normal operation.

1. With the ignition switch in the OFF position, depress and hold depressed the power ON/OFF button (w/o hands-free communication option) or the AUTO button (w/hands-free communication option) on the electrochromic inside rear view mirror.

2. With the button still depressed, start the engine by turning the ignition switch to the START position.

3. Continue to hold the button depressed until the Demonstration Mode begins (headlamp high beams and high beam indicator illuminate), at which time the button may be released.

4. The automatic high beam system will complete three cycles of ramping up the headlamp high beams to full brightness, then ramping them down until fully extinguished accompanied by the appropriate indications from the high beam indicator. At the conclusion of this sequence (about 40 seconds), the automatic high beam system will return to normal operation.

#12 ·
Yes, I tried it and it worked fine the first time. Learn something new every day...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.