Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, noticed this last night and again this morning: after driving the commando around for a short while, there's a strong smell of burning rubber at idle. No leaks or smoke out of the engine bay, any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts
Hey all, noticed this last night and again this morning: after driving the commando around for a short while, there's a strong smell of burning rubber at idle. No leaks or smoke out of the engine bay, any ideas?
If it's truly burning rubber you're smelling, I'd check all of your tires to see if there is any rubbing anywhere - which you should also hear I would imagine.

I'd also take a good long look at all of the engine hoses, belts and wiring that you can possibly get to.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Had similar problem on a vehicle (not my XK) where a wire bundle with a plastic tube wrap on it had come in contact with exhaust manifold. Next time you smell it, immediately stop and get out and start looking for a cause while smell is fresh.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Last time I had a burning rubber smell was in my Dodge dump it turned out to be my serpentine belt was coming apart on me which left me stranded in BFE.

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts