Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Why not bake your factory lights and separate them and paint them black?

You gotta open em up anyways to retrofit.

speaking of which, please share your plans and work on the retrofit! I'd love to do it but my headlights are really quite good with HIR's in em, especially with the lenses polished.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Hi all,
Hopefully I'm retrofitting projectors on a new pair of headlights but not sure if I'd go with the normal headlights or smoked. Anyone install the black euro headlights before?

Spyder® HD-JH-JCOM06-AM-BK (9023231) - Jeep Commander 2006-2010 Black Euro Headlights

I'm not into the paint mod so won't be doing it.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk
I just ordered these.

I won't be back CONUS for another 3-4 weeks, so, I won't be able to give you any additional insight about them until then.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
I have the spyder smoked headlights and I absolutely love them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Awesome, glad to hear that.

They look like they are pretty well-made from what I have seen & read.

You have any pics with them installed?

Did you notice any difference in the headlight beam coverage/brightness?

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
View attachment 20177
I think they're much brighter than my stock headlights and they're very easy to adjust.

They look very cool. Can't wait to get mine installed when I get home.

I am a little concerned that you say they are brighter than the stock headlights.

Case in point about 6 months ago I replaced my factory fog-light halogens with the normal Chrysler/Jeep replacements that I ordered through the dealership and I put them in myself. The old fog-lights worked fine but the plastic was pitted and weathered.

The new ones I put in are so much brighter, that every time I turn them on at night, if there is traffic coming the other way, I'd estimate that 5 out of 10 drivers are flashing their brights at me because the new fog-lights are so much brighter than the old pitted ones.

If these new smoked headlights are noticeably brighter as you say, lets just say, I'm concerned....but I'm still gonna have them installed.

Thanks for sharing the pic though, it looks great on your ride Billy.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
They're not blinding, I noticed a few times that I bother lowered vehicles when I'm directly behind them but that's their problem. (Kidding) The lift must put me right in their line of sight

I'm stoked to get home and have them installed along with the other upgrades I have waiting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have those as well, deffently worth the price! The taillights could be better, they began to soften after a week with stock brake light bulbs?? Swapped to LEDs and no problems.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I bet that was fun to install. I remember the first time getting to my headlights. having to damn near take the entire front end apart just for headlights is a royal pain. Looks good though.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
I bet that was fun to install. I remember the first time getting to my headlights. having to damn near take the entire front end apart just for headlights is a royal pain. Looks good though.
Had it done at the Jeep dealership - and yeah, the mechanic- a guy named Andy who I know pretty well, said he had to take the grill guard off, drop the bumper cover and take the grill off to install them.

I do like the look though, plus my original headlights were starting to get hazy around the edges which just gave me another excuse to do it...LOL.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Finally got a chance to post pics, these have been on for roughly 6 months, still look great, really disappointed in the rear smoked taillights, as mentioned eariler, it took less then 4 days for the stock bulbs to soften up and leave that unsightly spot seen in last pic. Unfortunately I didnt catch it untill damage was already done) swapped to LEDs which stopped the damage from getting worse.

Fog lights are really rough, have the spyder dark smoked halo fogs, just need some free time

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Finally got a chance to post pics, these have been on for roughly 6 months, still look great, really disappointed in the rear smoked taillights, as mentioned eariler, it took less then 4 days for the stock bulbs to soften up and leave that unsightly spot seen in last pic. Unfortunately I didnt catch it untill damage was already done) swapped to LEDs which stopped the damage from getting worse.

Fog lights are really rough, have the spyder dark smoked halo fogs, just need some free time
The headlights look really good with your black paint job.

Sorry to hear about the tail lights. I changed my reverse bulbs over to LEDS but other than that, I am going to leave the tail lights alone.

I replaced my fog lights with new stock foglights about 6 months ago, they still look brand new and it was quite a noticeable difference after replacing the old weathered ones.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I sprayed my taillights with VHT nightshade. I didn't use gloss not did I sand. Cleaned them up good and sprayed. Took me 20 minutes and I absolutely love them. With replacement taillight bulbs (LED & High Performance Halogen) the lights are still very bright.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts