Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody experienced this? On the plastic covers, enough to severely restrict the light intensity. Early evening but dark, road temp. estimated 33°, air temp. 36-37°. Very wet snow, flakes literally silver-dollar sized, due to the traffic, melted on the pavement surface. On I-5 in WA (yes, it does occasionally snow here), n. bound; by the time I could safely stop, it was a good thing I had tail lights ahead of me to follow. (Familarity with the road also helped.)
I learned to drive in western PA, drove in bad weather all over the US, never had this problem before. I attribute it to the covers, the old style headlamps never did that, due to the heat of the lamps, I think.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Are you running stock light bulbs?

It's very common up here, usually my headlights produce enough heat to keep them clear. I changed over to the Silver Star Ultras and haven't noticed as much. But then again we have been lacking snow due to the lower 48 taking more than their fair share of snow this year.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I notice that the stock bulbs produce enough heat to melt a circle for the light to shine out. My problem is all the splash-back and road dirt dries on the cover and blocks all the light, which is a bigger issue to me. I wish we got the lens washers like European cars have.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Using the stock lamps.

I was just thinking the same thing about the Mercedes & Volvo lens wiper/washers, never saw the real utility until now.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have had that happen when it is snowig hard. I have actually had a thick coat of ice over the whole headlight. It is warm enough to melt it but once the temp drops it freezes then just keeps getting thicker. So the silverstar ultras burn a little hotter? That is maybe a solution.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
No, they burn cooler.

·
Registered
88 Posts
AKFossil said:
Are you running stock light bulbs?

It's very common up here, usually my headlights produce enough heat to keep them clear. I changed over to the Silver Star Ultras and haven't noticed as much. But then again we have been lacking snow due to the lower 48 taking more than their fair share of snow this year.
i`de be more than happy to send some you way:D

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
deadboi77 said:
i`de be more than happy to send some you way:D
Gee thanks! :D

You know after posting to this thread I was at work and noticed all our 2008 F250s had the same issue. So I am guessing we need to find us some wipers and defroster kits for the XK. :(

Didn't know they burned cooler just seemed to get better results than my dad's XK.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Someone recently posted a pic of his Commander after driving through a snow storm. I remember noticing that there were two perfect circles where the ice/snow melted on the headlight lenses, and I thought it had to have been from the heat of the bulbs.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The heat does make two perfect circles but it restricts a good deal of the light. It just freezes all around those circles. It has not been dangerous but whenever I fuel up or get out when the weather is bad I clean them off. -We just hit #2 most snowfall in December on record here in Milwaukee with over 30". So I guess it is happening more than normal.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
jeep5253 said:
If you had one you would know.
Thanks for the useless post.

Actually, I don't even really care. I was just trying to help out the guys who are having this problem.

BTW, no such problem on my 4Runner;)

·
Registered
717 Posts
TR4Runner said:
Thanks for the useless post.

Actually, I don't even really care. I was just trying to help out the guys who are having this problem.

BTW, no such problem on my 4Runner;)
You guys are funny...The lens are plastic...and it must be oh so wonderful to drive such a perfect vehicle mr 4Runner :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
lol Bicker Bicker

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Jeeper64 said:
...The lens are plastic...
Okay, plastic isn't good for my idea to solve the problem. If they were glass, you guys could run a small switched strip heating element to heat the glass. It's the same idea as the heating elements on the base of the windshield where the wipers sit in the off position.

·
Registered
717 Posts
TR4Runner said:
LOL... If you really knew what they were all about, you'd be driving one;)
Opinions....just like a$$ho$%s.....everybody has one!! Even they commented on how much nicer the Jeep rode than their Toyota...The 4Runner is a very nice machine...but it ain't a Jeep!! I'm done!! :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts