Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 06 limited commander and i live in durango, colorado...its icey and I snowboard alot so im trying to figure out the best snow/ice or studded tires i should buy...thanks.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
For winter use only below fourty degree ambient consider Blizzack (sp?) or Winterforce.
These are unidirectional snow/ice specific tires.....I've used them on previous front drivers and they were incredible.....on 4wd they should be something to write books about.

I currently run a Fusion (off brand Firestone) as my winter tire here in Northern Illinois.
They are not as focused as a Blizzack or Winterforce.....more of a snow cutter design to get down to pavement although I have found they are fairly secure on ice as well.

All of these can be found on Tire Rack.

Rob

·
Registered
953 Posts
I use Nokians. I have read that the "sticky" compound that makes Blizzaks a good winter tire only goes half way through the lug. The Nokians have the same compound straight through. This should mean they will last longer. They also perform great in the snow and on ice.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I use Goodyear Wrangler MTR w/ Kevlar. Every clime and place. The CHP out here in the Eastern Sierra Nevada Mountains have Dodge Durangos with studded Goodyear Duratracs. Those are pretty amazing!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
X2 on the MTR's with Kevlar. Best tire I've ever had in the snow!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Regarding the Tire Rack advice, you might consider DiscountTire. They are a forum sponsor and have treated me right.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you have stock sized tires: I have run the Cooper Discoverer M/S snows, they get the job done on my WJ Grand Cherokee.

On the Commander, with 265/70-17, I run the Goodyear Duratracs and have them siped. They have not let me down at all.

Both of these tires perform very well in snow/ice conditions, and my wife and I have a 20+ mile commute each way.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Just curious, you mentioned that you have the duratracs and have them siped. Do you have any pictures? I thought the duratracs came with crazy amount of siping alread?

·
Registered
127 Posts
No pics, but they have a decent amount of siping from the factory. I just siped the middle tread area and not all the way across. I did it that way to eliminate any possibility of instability.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts