Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I watched an old episode of Extreme 4x4 where they solid axle swapped a 1994 Chevy Tahoe with IFS and they made it seem like a not too daunting task given it had a leaf spring set-up. It got me thinking of our Commanders where the one real Achilles heel is the front end. Has anyone ever attempted a solid axle swap? I have no knowledge of how hard this could actually be. I tried to do some research but got nothing. However there are a few WKs and Libertys running around with solid axles. I attached two of them. I really want to lift my Commander and make it much more capable but shelling out 2k for a Superlift and still having a vulnerable front end makes me weary....:|

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have seen WKs with solid axles, and an XK is the same chassis underneath. It will be difficult and expensive to do, since the XK/WK is unibody and the front suspension is actually structurally important, and I believe it also supports the engine; you'll need someone to design and fabricate parts to make sure everything up front is secure. On top of that, you'll need to find a way to make the XK's electronics play nice with a new front axle, or completely remove them from the equation.

Nitro Gear wrote up their process on a SAS. It looks like they used a QTII rear axle with an ARB locker, a Dana 44 out of a JK, an a new transfer case after wearing the old one out.

Unless you want to invest several thousand into fabricating a new front end, the better choice is to go with a Superlift. With RCV axles and some JBA coilovers, you should be able to run 35s or possibly 37s comfortably and have a very solid front end.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless you want to invest several thousand into fabricating a new front end, the better choice is to go with a Superlift. With RCV axles and some JBA coilovers, you should be able to run 35s or possibly 37s comfortably and have a very solid front end.
It sounds like that is probably the best option then. I don't plan on getting rid of my Jeep so I think it would be a good investment. I also want to use it and wheel it. But fabricating that set-up from scratch is probably beyond my expertise and would cost probably double what the Superlift would.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts