Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very minor off road excursion led to some damage. Fell through about a foot of ice while crossing stream.

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
This was the damage.

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This was the solution.

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funny thing, I did not notice the damage until another member was interested in my lower chrome valence and I climbed under the Jeep to take it off. Now the kicker, I had the 4x skid sitting in my garage when the damage occurred.

Moral of the story: don't procrastinate!

·
Registered
346 Posts
A quick question for you - are the only modifications you had to make to install the front guard the cuts you had to make in the air dam?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Spooky! ..... I predeicted this exact damage due to breaking through ice in this thread ... the 4X gaurd does not protect the entrie area either :( (click the yellow bar to read the picture text)

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
A quick question for you - are the only modifications you had to make to install the front guard the cuts you had to make in the air dam?
If you take a close look at the first pic with the skid on the jack you cab see masking tape, I made approximately 4" cuts there (each side) and the skid fit perfectly with no other trimming besides the bracket. Good thing, I can return to stock easily with out anyone noticing, unless they get under and examine closely. Also, the chrome valeance will cover the bracket cuts.

I am very confident the skid will protect from the kind of damage I suffered. It extends very close to the tow hooks, so unless I am driving through snow up to the bumper I am not worrying about snow packing the engine compartment (seen that before) or ice going up around the radiator.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Do you think a lift would have prevented that? Glad it didn't do any major damage.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you think a lift would have prevented that? Glad it didn't do any major damage.
I was running the lift when it happened.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I was running the lift when it happened.
Oh, I didn't know that you had installed a lift. I've must have been sleeping when you mentioned it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts