Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Xmas I traded in my 2004 Subaru WRX for a Commander ' thinking' I needed more room. Well I have found out that I dont really need the extra room, BUT I like having the extra room as a convenient feature!! At the same time I am kind of missing my sports cars and have been looking at used AWD BMWs etc... Last night I drove a used BMW and talked numbers with the dealer. The trade in for the jeep was very poor compared to my WRX last year... I guess I expect that though. In order to get into a BMW I have to sell my Jeep myself, or take a small lose on the Jeep and add it to the BMW price

Right now my Jeep has 15k miles on it. CPO w/ the added care plus warranty. The BMWs I am looking at are generally HIGH mileage 60k plus and no warranty. When it breaks I fix it! I am prepared for that though. I do like the peace of mind of free/warranty maintenance though!

So am I crazy for doing this??!! If anything I am going to be saving a MAXIMUM of 100 bucks a month to get into a BMW with higher mileage than the jeep.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Its all personal choice and what you're willing to live with. Unless I was buying the BMW from my boss or a close friend, I'd be very careful about buying a higher mileage one since you don't know how it was treated before you bought it. Also, anything for a BMW is always 3x more expensive than most other cars out there. Also remember that you're going to be dumping the negative equity from the XK onto a car that's going down in value faster since its older, and many banks don't like to loan money in situations like that.

I'm in the same boat. I like the XK for winter driving and comfort but I'm also considering going back into a Crown Vic since I miss my old one and I liked that car too, plus it got better gas mileage for my commute. But I'm also upside down like crazy in the XK due to the poor resale numbers. So its a personal choice that I also need to make.

Personally, for $100 at most I'd give up eating out or cut back cable (or similar) so that you can stay in a vehicle that you've owned since new.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
I don't think I could ever go back to a sports car again after spending so much time behind the wheel of a comfortable SUV that rides high above cars in NY traffic. I can't stand being stuck in traffic in a car with such a low vantage point. I pretty much NEED to sit up higher now that I'm used to it. Plus, the roads are already full of SUVs, trucks, and vans, so I want to at least be on par with them instead of being surrounded by a sea of metal and not being able to see down the road!

·
Registered
473 Posts
my advice is to sell it to me for $5000. seriously though, its personal preference. last month i won a BMW x-3 and briefly talked with my wife about keeping it and selling the jeep. after the 2 minute conversation we decided to keep the jeep and take the cash option. my wifes new kitchen will be done before x-mas.:D

·
Registered
588 Posts
Maintentance alone will eat up that $100 not to mention repairs. Foreign cars are extremely expensive to repair and a lot more to maintain. So, money is not the reason for change. Boils down to whether you would rather drive a nice Commander or a sporty BMW. john

·
Registered
588 Posts
Maintentance alone will eat up that $100 not to mention repairs. Foreign cars are extremely expensive to repair and a lot more to maintain. So, money is not the reason for change. Boils down to whether you would rather drive a nice Commander or a sporty BMW. john

·
Registered
18 Posts
This sounds like my dilemma as I am trying to sell my Commander without trading it in and really I am having no luck! As trade bait my Commander is not doing too well I was offered anywhere from 13,000 to 16,000 but I guess that all depends on what I am trading it in for. My Commander is a loaded up 6 cylinder model with every option that was available for 2006 and it just went over the 40,000 mile mark. So far I think the best deal I am getting is to make a trade for a 2006 MINI COOPER CHECKMATE EDITION w/ 11,500 miles free maintenance and full warranty still in effect. It's 17500 for the MINI and 14000 but I am still on the fence as I think my Commander is worth more.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I traded my Jag S-type in for my XK. The cost of having a nice looking Jag that was plagued with electrical problems (and then having to pay for them out of pocket) did not win me over. Having a nice new car with no issues, did.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That is probably why I will get the MINI. My Commander is only left with 7/70 protection and although I love it. It think it is time for it to go.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
if you get 15 mpg @ $3 a gallon it takes 20 gal to go 300 miles at the cost of $60.
if you get 20 mpg @ $3 a gallon it takes 15 gal to go 300 miles at the cost of $45.
So driving 300 miles a week, costs $15 a week in gas.
$12,000 negative equity / 15 in gas is 800 weeks /52 weeks is 15.3 years.
12,000 @ 5.75% $17,937 over 15 years.
$15 week in gas over 780 weeks (15 years) is $11,700
I am not a math wiz, but it looks to me like spend the extra 15 a week is less. But, maybe my math is wrong.
I don't think he really liked the Jeep....I dont think it was worth trade when you compare the gas mileage. Yes, there are varibles i left out such as increase cost of gas..but I didnt buy mine for the gas mileage. I am up to 2200 miles and my average is now 16.2 street and road combined. So that isnt too bad. Highway is about 18 now.
I like my Jeep......... But e85 fuel....that was really bad mileage......but it worked out to be about 30% less mileage and the cost per gallon was about 30%...so the total cost was about the same. So I can tout my green friendly 4.7 while I use regular gas and go fast.....or use the corn liquor and use more of it while going faster!

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I posted this on another thread where someone wanted to sell his commander and get a sports car.....but i think you get the drift......

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Your numbers verify what I thought when I was thinking about going back into a Crown Vic. Total numbers worked out to be $125 different/month, so it would take me forever to recoup the loss on switching vehicles.

·
Registered
331 Posts
buying a whole new car in order to get better gas mileage is retarded. it's an excuse....rationalization for a WANT. if you WANT that new car, fine...but have the sense to realize that you're doing it because you want to....not because it makes sense financially. every time you trade a car in, you get beat. EVERY time. *

I am a finance manager. at a car dealership. this kind of thing IS MY BAG, BABY.

*once, i bought an 87 cavalier for $500, put a $55 battery in it, drove it for 10 months, and sold it for $550. this is the exception...i bought it for what we traded it, and sold it to a friend. we bouth got a good deal. he drove it for 4 years.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
lumberjim said:
buying a whole new car in order to get better gas mileage is retarded. it's an excuse....rationalization for a WANT. if you WANT that new car, fine...but have the sense to realize that you're doing it because you want to....not because it makes sense financially. every time you trade a car in, you get beat. EVERY time. *

I am a finance manager. at a car dealership. this kind of thing IS MY BAG, BABY.

*once, i bought an 87 cavalier for $500, put a $55 battery in it, drove it for 10 months, and sold it for $550. this is the exception...i bought it for what we traded it, and sold it to a friend. we bouth got a good deal. he drove it for 4 years.
My dad bought his first Jeep, a used CJ-5 drove it for like a year and sold it for a couple hundred more than he bought it from. You can have this situations ... but only if you buy used or buy something that becomes a collectors item.

Personally, I buy vehicles for my personal enjoyment and not as a investment opportunity.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hmm...guess I am the exception to the rule.

I traded a sports car for my Commander. 05 Mustang GT with every option. Had 4:11's put in. Upgraded to K&N intake, BBK Throttle Body, Hurst Shifter, and reprogrammed computer (93 octane). Lowered with Tokina D shocks. Needless to say car ran like a scalded dog. When I have enough posts I will put up a picture will only put a link up now.

FWIW...I have 4 kids and I take 2 to school every day. They are now teens and when they got out of the 'stang it was like the Shriners Clown Car. Not only that but some of my customers couldn't fit in the mustang when we would go out for lunch. The car was REAAAALLLLY fun but after 3 years the pratical side was lacking.

The Commander is plush without being over the top (Lexus GX470). It's big but not too big (Expedition). It's got a boxy look that is muscular but doesn't scream "I'm compensating for my small XXX" (Hummer). It's got a 'good' reliability rating and is not a dealer queen (GMC Envoy & Arcadia). The price is really good for the options you get (insert almost all other SUV's here).

I consider the stock Commander a "Jack of All Trades - Master of None" type of vehicle. You can add this or that and make it even better at some things (except gas tank size or interior storage). That doesn't sound like a ringing endorsment but it actually means it's a very versital ride....which means a lot to me. I would give my purchase a easy score of 8.5 out of 10. The only true annoyance in 1 week of ownership is not the jeep..it's the Sirius channels. (Not grouped together in any coherent order is REALLY REALLY aggrivating).

Oh...my politically correct statement follows) Your milage may vary. The opinions expressed are my own or were purchased by me. Not available in Oregon or Washington DC. Not compatible with all humans. Limited stock so order often. Serving size is 1 per person.

Undrpsi
(Jay in NC)

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Exception to what? You have described why many people bought thier Commanders.
Other than it has the name Jeep. I was told after I got my first jeep that it is very difficult to pry a Jeep from it's owner once you have one. I agree with that. I wouldnt consider anything without the words Jeep attached. For me it was which one.

But I went with the Commander for the reasons your described.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts