Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some pictures of the grill and blacked-out headlights that I did this weekend. Never mind the scratches on the front bumper, the German winters are less than forgiving.

The grill and badges are covered in Plasti-Dip ( www.plastidip.com ) It was pretty easy to work with, and was pretty suprised how forgiving it is. The rest is just black satin spray paint and mesh I picked up from a home improvement store here.

Headlights were a pain, particularly the passanger side for some reason. I was going to add some LED lights inside the headlight bezel, but decided against it last minute.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
followed the "painting your headlights" DIY thread, reheated them and stuck them back together, then used black RTV to seal them back up. I should see in a day or two if there are any leaks

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
followed the "painting your headlights" DIY thread, reheated them and stuck them back together, then used black RTV to seal them back up. I should see in a day or two if there are any leaks
i like this. does it change the light produced by the headlights.? i would like to see a night shot of the headlights.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tentatively I would say no, since the reflective part around the actual headlight sits behind the now black bezel, so the same amount of light is getting reflected around the bulb. The chrome part that would reflect more light is only about an inch or so. Im picking up some silvania ultra whites hopefully tomorrow and ill post a pic

·
Registered
284 Posts
That looks great. Awesome contrast on the lights. How long did this take you to do?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The PlastiDip on the grill and badges I did a week prior, and with prep time it was about 2 hours or so. Doing the headlights and adding the wire mesh to the grill too about 6 hours from start to finish.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The PlastiDip on the grill and badges I did a week prior, and with prep time it was about 2 hours or so. Doing the headlights and adding the wire mesh to the grill too about 6 hours from start to finish.
\

That's not that bd I guess. How did you mount the mesh behind the grill?

·
Registered
284 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice finish

That looks really clean. I had kinda wished I had completely painted all the chrome around the headlights. Seeing it done on yours makes me want to go back and do that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That looks really clean. I had kinda wished I had completely painted all the chrome around the headlights. Seeing it done on yours makes me want to go back and do that.
To be honest I was going to try and leave some of the chrome around the bezel ring intact, but that crap came off with every different type of tape I tried to use. I even tried Glad Press N seal hoping it would be gentle enough, but it pulled it off like the rest.

Holaday, g'head man, whole point to posting the pics was to give others some ideas.

The grill is actually 2 parts, the chrome front, and the black plastic "frame" The chrome part pops off with a bit of prying. On the back of the frame there are several good places to screw the mesh in, particularly in each of the slats there is a little circle that I screwed the majority of the screws into. Something to be careful of though, even though I used only 1" screws, they still pop all the way through, and the chrome front wont snap all the way back in as is. One work around is to add more washers to the screws (I had only used 1 just to keep the mesh attached) or do like I did. Since I used self-tapping screws, I backed out each screw, clipped in the front piece, and then drilled the screws back in. The self-tapping portion drilled itself right into the front part, and since that plastic is much thicker, the screws didn't pop out the front. (I had measured several times just to make sure) Another option I was contemplating was using Double Bubble, and hard core epoxy and essentially glueing the mesh to the plastic frame, but that would have gotten out of hand in a hurry

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Night pictures. Didn't manage to get the Ultra Whites so its with just the standard bulbs. Went to work this morning before sunrise and didn't notice any limitations or difference in the actual light projection

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So just a quick update. Several weeks have gone by and plenty of rain and a few washes later the headlights and grill work are all still holding strong. No condensation in the headlights and no visible water seepage, and the PlastiDip grill has no chips or scratches. All in all, very happy with it all, and even the wife admitted that it looked pretty slick (not to me of course, overheard her talking to her mom on the phone.)

·
Registered
243 Posts
The white of your commander creates an amazing contrast, great idea.:banana_hitit:

·
Registered
52 Posts
To be honest I was going to try and leave some of the chrome around the bezel ring intact, but that crap came off with every different type of tape I tried to use. I even tried Glad Press N seal hoping it would be gentle enough, but it pulled it off like the rest.

Holaday, g'head man, whole point to posting the pics was to give others some ideas.

The grill is actually 2 parts, the chrome front, and the black plastic "frame" The chrome part pops off with a bit of prying. On the back of the frame there are several good places to screw the mesh in, particularly in each of the slats there is a little circle that I screwed the majority of the screws into. Something to be careful of though, even though I used only 1" screws, they still pop all the way through, and the chrome front wont snap all the way back in as is. One work around is to add more washers to the screws (I had only used 1 just to keep the mesh attached) or do like I did. Since I used self-tapping screws, I backed out each screw, clipped in the front piece, and then drilled the screws back in. The self-tapping portion drilled itself right into the front part, and since that plastic is much thicker, the screws didn't pop out the front. (I had measured several times just to make sure) Another option I was contemplating was using Double Bubble, and hard core epoxy and essentially glueing the mesh to the plastic frame, but that would have gotten out of hand in a hurry
I was worried about the chrome peeling off in the headlight as well, what would you recommend doing about painting and masking off? and how did you get it to look like such a clean paint job!? :roller:

·
Registered
696 Posts
Those are the best commander lights and grill I have seen! Awesome making such huge differences at a low cost and DIY

·
Registered
19 Posts
i love what you did to your headlights..........i think that would look ridiculous on my black out. does that chrome come off really easy on the inside of the headlight? would the blue painters tape work?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts