Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got nailed with a snow storm here in NJ. I wish some of my 4x4 buddies lived closer so we could go out and play.

Got some nice shots though!

·
Registered
149 Posts
we're getting that same snow storm right now...10" and counting. We're supposed to get upwards of two feeet when it's all said and done.

great pics! What is your setup? (lift, tire, and wheel size)

thanks

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We got a solid 27" here. With the wind, some of the drifts are 4' tall. I just cleared off my back deck... i'm 5'10" and the snow was up to my chest in a few areas!

I'm just running the 2" RC on my jeep. Tires are 245/70/17 General Grabbers and the wheels are 17x8 XD Spys (+18mm offset).

I want to get the 4xguard front with receiver and the rock rails... then I'm going to get a nice winch on a receiver mount for when i go wheeling. I'll probably stick with the 245/70/17 tire size with this left height... it looks good and it'll help clear better for when i put on my sway bar discos and flex offroad. Next tire will be a bit more aggressive though. Got the A/Ts now since i have a 14 month old and another baby on the way this summer... so wheeling will be on hold for a few years.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Awesome pics! Another white XK, cool! Man, I'm still waiting for a snow storm like that here in Chicago so I can play in it, so far the most we've had is about 5 inches. I can't believe your tires are only 245/70s, they look much bigger. I'm running with 245/70 Silent Armors and they don't look that big.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The wider wheels with less backspace make the tires look bigger.

I also love the pics of the 4x matrix guard on your jeep! I can't wait to get one of those. Maybe Christmas next year! :icon_cheers:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Enjoy the snow. We have had enough here upstate to make for our snowiest December ever... Argh, it would be fun to drive in if I did not have to be on a schedule all of the time, LOL. The XK sure handles it with ease :) .

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
there is an awful lot of snow talk here but not a lot of proof.
This is the little bit of rare snow we got.

The Grand Cherokee

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some more pics and videos on the way!!!

To give a little background.. I live near the end of a cul-de-sac. I'm the first house so there's just a normal street width in front of my driveway.

To clear the snow, i just have a 16"x48" dozer blade on my tractor and i push the snow into the street. Eventually, the plow comes by and clear it all.

Well.... no plow yet. And we got so much snow that I've completely packed the full width of the street in about 35-40" of compressed snow from my plow.

I drove the jeep over my yard and into the cul-de-sac to see if i would get stuck. SUCCESS! Once i knew i wasn't going to get stuck I drove back and forth my the circle to compact all the snow.

THEN... i used that for a running start to try and plow through the snow compacted in front of my driveway!

lol wait till you see this

·
Registered
422 Posts
thats som fun stuff there...I dont get to play with the XK in the snow...I'm in a plow truck during all the snow and the local city takes tare of my neighborhood...enjoy it.

BTW what tires are you running couldn't tell in the first vid looked like to had some caking/clearing issues.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tires are 245/70/17 general grabber at/2s.

I really didn't have any issues in the first video. The first time i was stopping i cut the wheel all the way to the left which slowed me down because i don't think the front ELSD fully engaged yet. From there i just went back and forth to turn around to come back up into the driveway.

When i went out a second time to pack all the snow down, it never got close to getting stuck... just need to get the front diff to fully engage.

That snow came down Sunday night so its been "compacting" for some time now. That's why it doesn't look as deep as the original snow fall which measured 27+ inches. But being compacted, its now heavier and harder to move.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts