Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got everthing hooked up, but I cannot figure out what wire to use to turn my parking lights on. Anyone help me out on this.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Figured it out, turns out that you have to run a wire to the relay in the fuse box and wrap it around one of the pins to ground the parking lights to get them to turn on.

·
Registered
809 Posts
What starter system did you install? I want to get a remote starter installed before winter, and am pretty set on the Mopar kit, but would love to hear your input on the aftermarket route. Cost? Functions? Installation? Key Transponder Antenna?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, this is going to be a little lengthy.

First, I DO NOT recommend that anyone does there own install unless you are prepared to install it or have done something like this before. Pay to have it installed, I could not get the bypass module set up, so I paid $25 for Mickey Shorr to do it, and to my surprise it would have only been $89.99 to install the remote start. Well worth the $110 to have someone else deal with it.

Here’s what I chose to do.

I would only recommend a Directed Electronics product. So, it came down to two choices, the Viper (4203V) or the Python (4203P.) Only difference between the two was the price and the style of the remote. I chose to go with the Python which is $40 less. The main features are as follows, 2 way which confirms vehicle has started, 2000 ft remote range, and Driver Take Over. Let’s say you want to run into the gas station to grab a pack of cigs. Normally you would have to shut the car off and then remote start it. This remote starter allows you to leave the vehicle running and remove your key. However, you cannot lock it, but the second you touch the brake, the system shuts down.

The bypass module I used is some what new. The key feature is that you do not need relays to drive your accessories, and you only need 2 keys to program it. Most bypass modules for Chrysler you have to install the key in the module and leave it under the dash. **You will need 2 working keys** I couldn’t get this part, so I had it done by Mickey Shorr.

The main reason I stayed away from the Mopar kit was no 2 way, low range, and no driver take over. Plus it would have cost $265, so mine was less and I got what I wanted.

Break Down

Python 4203 $140 (Ebay)
PKU-CH2X Bypass $25 Ebay.
Install $25 for the bypass.
Total Cost $ 190.

Any questions you have, let me know. The pictures are of the remote to compare size, and the install.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm taking mine Commander in today to get a remote start installed. Gonna cost $250.00 for everything. Getting the friend of a friend price. I need it since I cant fit in the garage with the lift and roof rack, and these Chicago winters are a little cold to be running out and warming up the car.:headbang2:

·
Registered
954 Posts
I recently got an aftermarket remote start installed. I went with the Viper Responder One for its two-way capabilities, distance, and size of remote. The remote itself is tiny, it beeps and the LED flashes green to confirm it started, I would highly recommend it. Paid $400 with parts and labor.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I want a 1 button 2way starter. After seeing my wifes, has a seperate fob with all the buttons...
attached to a fob with integrated key....too much stuff.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I want a 1 button 2way starter. After seeing my wifes, has a seperate fob with all the buttons...
attached to a fob with integrated key....too much stuff.
Definitely check out the Viper Responder One, see attached pic.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,108 Posts
I recently got an aftermarket remote start installed. I went with the Viper Responder One for its two-way capabilities, distance, and size of remote. The remote itself is tiny, it beeps and the LED flashes green to confirm it started, I would highly recommend it. Paid $400 with parts and labor.
Jeep (Mopar) has a two way remote start cheaper than that. Here are the three components you need:

http://www.justforjeeps.com/restinkit.html

http://www.justforjeeps.com/twowayrestup.html

http://www.justforjeeps.com/remotestart.html

·
Registered
954 Posts
Jeep (Mopar) has a two way remote start cheaper than that. Here are the three components you need:

http://www.justforjeeps.com/restinkit.html

http://www.justforjeeps.com/twowayrestup.html

http://www.justforjeeps.com/remotestart.html
If you can find someone to do the install for less than $50 then it'll definitely be under $400. I would've honestly preferred the Mopar system but it just seemed a little outdated (design of remote) and the range was better on the Viper. I called a Jeep dealer just out of curiousity to see how much they would charge to have the factory system installed (new fob) and it would've costed me just a bit over $600. I really wanted to go that route too but then it wouldn't have the 2 way feature and the range again was only 800 feet.

·
Super Moderator
15,108 Posts
If you can find someone to do the install for less than $50 then it'll definitely be under $400. I would've honestly preferred the Mopar system but it just seemed a little outdated (design of remote) and the range was better on the Viper. I called a Jeep dealer just out of curiousity to see how much they would charge to have the factory system installed (new fob) and it would've costed me just a bit over $600. I really wanted to go that route too but then it wouldn't have the 2 way feature and the range again was only 800 feet.
It DOES have the 2-way feature.

·
Registered
954 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
All 5 of our XJ's have aftermarket remote starts, the XK and JK are factory. I pick-up the Viper off of e-bay usually for around $100 or so and pay a local installer $80 to wire them up for me as a side job. Its the best money you will spend for your Jeep and you will thank yourself each time you hit the button in the winter.

·
Registered
123 Posts
canbus bypass module is needed for an aftermarket alarm remote start.theres a lot of models to choose from but i would recommend idatalink for the viper python clifford(dei products) or like the one i used fortin evo-chr and the zenesis 502as they use the rs232 ttl protocol to communicate with 4 wires and viper and idatalink uses d2d witch is similar but not compatible i could use a viper system with the evo and vice versa but you have to wire a lot more wires.the evo-chr is easy to program and only need 1 key.i had to cut 1 wire and splice into 2 on the ignition switch connector and the rest is between alarm and module about 5 wires.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just installed a Prostart two way from CT. This one works great. The transponder bypass was easy. The second start / ignition wire was kinda funky (3 relays, resistors, diodes) but there was lots of room to work.

I have installed remote starters for people in this town for a while, and honestly the brands are all basically the same. The 70 buck Bulldog will last as long as the $400 Viper. The only true differences are the options.

:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts