Jeep Commander Forum banner

Someone decided to remodel my XK...

7K views 41 replies 17 participants last post by  CUPRA 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, true to form, Friday the 13th reared it's ugly head this morning in the form of a 1985 Ford F100 to the rear...

I was heading to work, to give a presentation to some elementary school kids the virtues of being a Graphic Designer for their 'Career Day' and on the way there, while I was waiting to merge into traffic at a stop sign, I got rearended by an elder gentleman in his Ford F100.

It appears the towing mount took the brunt of the force, but it has completely torn up the rear bumper, ripped out the back up sensors and pushed in the tailgate some. The Commander did proud, and doesn't show 'that' much damage, but 'any' damage to me is a lot as I am so proud of my vehicles and keep them in top notch condition.

His F100 was all caved in at the front from the towing mount, and across his grill as well. I am assuming he didn't have airbags being as it was a 1985 truck.

And unusually for me (being as I have mentioned how anally retentive I am about my vehicles), I was very concerned about the guy who hit me. He must have been between 60 and 65 I guess... and all he would do is cuss that he'd wrecked his truck! Eff this and eff that! So I calmly asked him if he was ok, several times, then sat him down in the Commander to get him out of the rain and to take down all of his details.

I have a claim in now... so hopefully I can get my Commander on the road again in no time, looking good as new.

Well that's it... my little story... and here are some pictures, cos as we all know... no pics, it didn't happen! :) However, I am not sure what that thing in the 5th pic is... not sure if it fell off my Jeep or his truck! I kept it anyways!

http://cupras.wordpress.com/2009/03/13/friday_the_13th_isnt_nice/

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry to hear about your mis-furtune, glad the driver stayed around and you were able to get his information. Hope the repair in minimal and you are back in service quickly.

#4 ·
Man, and I got pretty nerve wrecking when the wifey didn't pull in the XK all the way into the garage... thus, there's a vertical scuff mark on the rear bumper :(, as well as some nicks from other incidents (shopping cart, door dings, etc.); someone... hit me, and at least just damage ONLY the bumper, okay? J/K... but being in Houston, I wouldn't doubt one day someone plows into my rear bumper. I hope all is well w/ the quality that goes to getting your XK fixed.

#5 ·
Cupra, sorry to hear about the boo boo!!! Hope all is well with people involved. Glad to see that there isnt "too" much damage to the xk.

Thrilled to see someone else in the dfw area on here. Been trying to find some folks to see if anything ever going on as far as rides or meet/greets in our area

#6 ·
JM06Commander - I have been wondering that too... I've posted in the Texas thread but not really gotten much info. I'd love to know where around here you can take the XK off road for a little fun.

I have an appointment now to have the car looked over by an estimator on Tuesday morning and to pick up a rental car. (I bet it is nothing like the Commander!). Hopefully they can get it in and worked on straight away (although with all the rain we've had here recently I am sure they are backed up)...

Here's a question... (being as I haven't been in an accident before)... where would you take the XK to be repaired: the Geico preferred collision center (Caliber Collision) or to the local Jeep dealer? I currently have it booked in at their 'all in one - express service' Caliber Collision center.

#10 ·
Here's a question... where would you take the XK to be repaired: the Geico preferred collision center (Caliber Collision) or to the local Jeep dealer? I currently have it booked in at their 'all in one - express service' Caliber Collision center.
There are a couple of things to consider, most insurance company's have a preferred repair shop and you get great service and a lifetime warranty on the repair which is great for paint fading.

I say if you have a high end dealer (MB, BMW, ect.) take it there because they know how to do high end cosmetic repairs best.

#7 ·
Glad no one got hurt, the weather here is crazy. I was coming home from a meeting last not and I must have counted half a dozen accidents, you would have thought that ice was on the roads. it must be bad tires.

#8 ·
Well I know my tires were fine, I had brand new ones put on last Saturday! Thankfully I am sure that contributed to me not being pushed further out into the oncoming traffic! But I hear you on that one, people blame 'bad tires' for their 'bad driving'!

#9 ·
When you said elderly gentleman I suspected he was in his 80's. I'll be 65 in September and have never been involved in an accident and I have been driving for 49 years. 35 of those years were driving patrol cars. I just returned yesterday from an 1,800 mile trip in my Commander to Florida and back to Missouri without incident. I've yet to consider myself elderly, but rather a mature retired gentleman who has paid his dues.
HT

#13 ·
Thanks! I appreciate it! I'll stick with my gut instinct then and keep it with the Geico recommended place and just let them deal with it.

Thankfully, after learning from when my wife was rearended a couple of years ago, I made sure we have rental car insurance now too, so I'll have a rental car waiting for me when I go to drop off the Jeep. That's all prearranged.

#15 ·
Cupra, I noticed the tail pipe is pinched. You might want to open it up a bit with a pry bar or something to allow more flow before you drive it very far.

#18 ·
Yeah, it is pinched a little, but not enough to cause any problems, but thank you for pointing it out.

My next dilemma before taking it in to be repaired on Tuesday is whether I should give it a real good wash and vacuum like I normally would, so the body shop knows I look after it or to leave it as it is so that the estimator can see it as it is.

I keep my cars really clean, but it's been raining and it was raining the morning of the wreck.

Should I clean it or not? What do you reckon?

#21 ·
XKJeep06 - Yeah, I had thought about diminished value as well being as the resale on the XKs is in the toilet anyways, this will not help things. Looks like I'll be keeping it longer than planned.

My insurance company (Geico) has already mentioned 'lost wages' being as I was off work on Friday so I could get to the doctors. They are on the ball and on my side which is a good thing!

#23 ·
Well my 'comparable' vehicle is a Chevy Aveo... so not all that comparable at all. I had an allowance on my insurance for $25 a day, and that is all they had in that price bracket.

Wooooo...

Hopefully I'll be back in my XK in a couple of weeks and put all of this behind me.

#24 · (Edited)
LMAO!!!

Sorry bro, just had to laugh a little. My GF backed into my truck on that day also and did the same damage as yours. Even that same F'n metal srtip fell out. Total cost for repair...$1400 (as per insurance quote). Matter of fact, she is picking it up right now from the shop!

EDIT: I just read the above posts and noticed that you were asking about the "Geico Express", Funny thing is that we also have Geico and used that "Express" thing. It worked out great. Really easy to deal with and the Jeep looks like new. They have an enterprise rental at the location and they even hooked us up with a rental upgrade for free. Good Luck!

#27 · (Edited)
Sorry to hear about your incident. Please post picks when you get it back.
The damage done shows the toughness of the XK. My sister got rear ended in her Pontiac mini van by a Ford Bronco at about 30-35 MPH and they totalled the vehicle. It twisted the frame, severly buckled the floor and pushed the rear hatch a foot into the passenger compartment. You could almost stand between the hatch and the rear bumper. He missed the bumper and hit the hatch because it was a full sized Bronco. Thank God nobody was seriously hurt.:)

#28 ·
When I had a self-inflicted backup accident (not as serious damage as you've got), I went with the GEICO preferred shop - which is also a Jeep dealership. They did well for me and GEICO told me they'll take care of any worries related to the repair for as long as I own the vehicle (I know there are always caveats, but I still feel pretty comfortable with that).

Comparable vehicle. LOL. Mazda 3 for me. Which was actually a pretty fun little car to zip around in while I waited. Chevy Aveo - not so much, I suspect.

#29 ·
I dropped into Caliber Collision on Friday (as my Geico report said I had to have the rental back as the repair would be done by then)... they told me that the guy was out back still buffing the tail gate and putting it back together. I told them that I am pretty anal about my cars and how they look (he said he'd already been told that by the adjuster!!!) and to not rush it. They are hoping to have it ready on Monday... I told them to take as long as it needs to get it right first time. So I still have the Aveo!

It's been in the garage all weekend... I drove my wife's MX5 yesterday and it was so refreshing to drive a car with acceleration! :)

#30 · (Edited)
Last time I rented a car I reserved a mid size car ie:Sebring, Malibu. When Enterprise picked me up at dealer they gave me a 300. That was cool. In Michigan if you hit a parked car YOUR insurance pays for the repair of their car and for the use of a rental . The rental they give the person HAS to be the SAME kind and size of vehicle they are having repaired. I know this cause I hit someone and a friend of mine got hit while parked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.