Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday while I was thinking about how hard it would to change a tire for my wife, it dawned on me that I never checked to see if the stock jack would lift the now lifted Commander.:confused: So today I tried it and guess what I found out. The OEM jack would not work.:( I hope you guys/gals thought about this already and have bought yourself new jacks. I might get one of those high-lift jack and mount it to my roof basket.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,789 Posts
I jacked up my XK after the lift and didn't have a problem. Are you lifting it from the correct spot?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,397 Posts
UberCommander said:
I tried to jack it up just like the manual told me
I also am running 265/70/17s, and that could make the difference

Here's a tip for you (or anyone else with a lifted vehicle):

If you want to use the original jack to change a tire, just place the jack under the axle housing in the rear or the lower control arms in the front. You'll lift your vehicle without a problem, even if it is lifted. And another benefit is that you will not have to pump your jack like crazy while the suspension unloads. In other words, you'll see the tire lift off the ground much faster because you will not be jacking against the suspension travel by using this method. It's completely safe, so don't even hesitate to raise your vehicle in this way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,789 Posts
UberCommander said:
I tried to jack it up just like the manual told me
I also am running 265/70/17s, and that could make the difference
Didn't take your tire size into consideration. I'm currently running stock, but will upgrade to 255/70/17 this summer. Thanks for informing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,789 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
TR4Runner said:
Here's a tip for you (or anyone else with a lifted vehicle):

If you want to use the original jack to change a tire, just place the jack under the axle housing in the rear or the lower control arms in the front. You'll lift your vehicle without a problem, even if it is lifted. And another benefit is that you will not have to pump your jack like crazy while the suspension unloads. In other words, you'll see the tire lift off the ground much faster because you will not be jacking against the suspension travel by using this method. It's completely safe, so don't even hesitate to raise your vehicle in this way.
Yea what he said.... shouldnt be an issue. we have only raised the axle about a inch higher off the ground with the 265/70's so the jack should be fine if you lift from the axle, which is the way i have always done it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It works, but the front is tricky. The lower arm angle is pretty steep and causes the jack to slip. You will need to put the jack as close to the tire as you can to make it safe.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,397 Posts
UberCommander said:
It works, but the front is tricky. The lower arm angle is pretty steep and causes the jack to slip. You will need to put the jack as close to the tire as you can to make it safe.
Absolutely. You should always place the jack as close to the tire as possible. The same is true for the rear, unless you want to use the differential as a jacking point to lift both rear tires at the same time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,337 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,262 Posts
I think the A.E.V. base is the most appropriate for this situation.
The factory jack still lifts at its, and the vehicles intended lift points. The base takes up minimal space and actually makes lifting with the factory jack a safer proposition.
Now, please don't misinterpet where I'm going here, we are only discussing a tire change.
As far as a maintenence jack I also use a aluminum jack and corresponding jack stands.
And as far as a save me I'm stuck tool, that air lift is the best.
So, each situation has its best answer on this one.

My $.02 .........Rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Absolutely. You should always place the jack as close to the tire as possible. The same is true for the rear, unless you want to use the differential as a jacking point to lift both rear tires at the same time.
Could someone post pics of these suggested lift points. Thanks in advance!

Slainte'
O'C
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top