Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought these set of 5 cragar soft 8's off craigslist for $100. I couldn't pass it up. When I went to install them they wanted $65 the owner told me what I was going to do with the old rims and I told him I was going to put them on craigslist and he told me if I would give him my old rims he would swap my tires to the new rims and balance them for $20 I told him High Five! sound good to me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Looks awsome. I assume you dont have any rubbing with that setup. Do you think you would rub with the next size large tires?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
i'm jealous! those are the rims i want! sweet deal and looks great! congrats man :)
Those wheel are actually pretty cheap online. You can pick up a set of 4 pretty much anywhere for around $300 in a 17x8 5 on 5 bolt pattern.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks guys :) I do plan on putting a bigger tire on when these run down. I am running my spidertrax 2" inch spacers with the 4.5" inch backspace and they stick out just the way I like them...

·
Registered
149 Posts
I bought these set of 5 cragar soft 8's off craigslist for $100. I couldn't pass it up. When I went to install them they wanted $65 the owner told me what I was going to do with the old rims and I told him I was going to put them on craigslist and he told me if I would give him my old rims he would swap my tires to the new rims and balance them for $20 I told him High Five! sound good to me.
I really want some all-black steel wheels, but I was told they would not clear the front calipers without a spacer, even if the wheel has 4.5" of backspacing. I am looking at some Black Rock Series 942 wheels that are 17x8 with 4.5" BS. Quadratec states they will fit, but Black Rock says they will not. I wish I could test fit one before ordering them, but unfortunately I don't live by a dealer...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I really want some all-black steel wheels, but I was told they would not clear the front calipers without a spacer, even if the wheel has 4.5" of backspacing. I am looking at some Black Rock Series 942 wheels that are 17x8 with 4.5" BS. Quadratec states they will fit, but Black Rock says they will not. I wish I could test fit one before ordering them, but unfortunately I don't live by a dealer...
there's several members here running Cragar Soft 8s with 4.5" backspacing with no issues. they'll clear the calipers just fine, no need for a spacer. you'll have more problems from oversized tires than you will with the cragars. check out redbulljoker69s gallery. he has these same wheels and had some rubbing on the inner fender due to his larger tires, but the wheels fit fine. this is the wheel i'll be getting very soon myself.

redbulljoker69's gallery:
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/album.php?albumid=305

·
Registered
36 Posts
Im a friend of Redbulljoker69 and he nor i am sure of the backspacing on his rims but we tried to put them on my jeep yesterday and they would not clear. On his jeep he had about a 3/8 inch spacer behind to push them out and they cleared his just fine. We are going to try again tomorrow with spidertrax spacers 1.25 inch. Hopefully they will clear just fine and will not cause serious grinding. Ill make sure to keep you posted.

·
Registered
242 Posts
there's several members here running Cragar Soft 8s with 4.5" backspacing with no issues. they'll clear the calipers just fine, no need for a spacer. you'll have more problems from oversized tires than you will with the cragars. check out redbulljoker69s gallery. he has these same wheels and had some rubbing on the inner fender due to his larger tires, but the wheels fit fine. this is the wheel i'll be getting very soon myself.

redbulljoker69's gallery:
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/album.php?albumid=305
Rubbing was pretty bad mainly because i was running 265/70/17 super swampers. and super swampers are bigger than the size they say. i was a good 1.5-2" bigger than a 265/70/17 bfg.

had to do some inner fender trimming. and then only got grinding when i would back up and turn wheel all the way to right.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Rubbing was pretty bad mainly because i was running 265/70/17 super swampers. and super swampers are bigger than the size they say. i was a good 1.5-2" bigger than a 265/70/17 bfg.

had to do some inner fender trimming. and then only got grinding when i would back up and turn wheel all the way to right.
but the wheel did clear the brake calipers right? was this because of your 1/4" spacer or would the wheels clear even without the spacer? the only rubbing you told me about was because of those super aggressive super swamper tires, but that's to be expected when your tire's tread look like alligator spines lol. i want to run the same cragar soft 8s without spacers, but with much less aggressive ATs. we dont have many marshes out here in the desert :p

·
Registered
242 Posts
but the wheel did clear the brake calipers right? was this because of your 1/4" spacer or would the wheels clear even without the spacer? the only rubbing you told me about was because of those super aggressive super swamper tires, but that's to be expected when your tire's tread look like alligator spines lol. i want to run the same cragar soft 8s without spacers, but with much less aggressive ATs. we dont have many marshes out here in the desert :p
It does hit the brake caliper in the front. But you can go to autozone and get a wheel sup spacer that will push the wheel out for 12.99 and you only need 2 because the back calipers are smaller and dont come out as far.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It does hit the brake caliper in the front. But you can go to autozone and get a wheel sup spacer that will push the wheel out for 12.99 and you only need 2 because the back calipers are smaller and dont come out as far.
Did you get any noticeable vibrations from the front wheel spacers?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Well, i run Super Swampers, and those tires cause the whole car to vibrate and hum. so i cant really speak on behalf of the spacer vibrating.
but i dont think so.
cause i just put the swampers on my new jeep with spider trax. and the same vibrating is still there. as long as you tighten the lugs tight, you shouldnt have any vibrating.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts