Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2006 Commander, 3.7L. Got a great deal on the truck and just couldn't say no. I LOVE this truck- Black, 26K mi, Loaded, Leather, Clean engine, clean interior/exterior, all clean... except the exhaust pipe. I noticed when I stick my finger in the tip and wipe that it is black and sooty... Like the emissions module isnt working correctly... or O2 sensor (or both I dont know).:confused: It doesn't smoke or smell funny at all.

I do know that my Harley used to be the same way, until I put a Terry Systems "Terminal Velocity 3" on it, which manages the fuel system (fuel injected) and emissions by taking a reading off of the exhaust bung.
Now the inside of my pipe is clean, I get more horsepower, and better gas mileage. The bike now runs mint.

I would like the same for my new Jeep.
My question is.... Is the 3.7L just that inefficient, or do I have a bad sensor? I know the dealer went through it before selling it to me with their "100 point inspection" , So my assumption is that this thing is running in tip top shape :D
My MPG is terrible at around 14 city, 17HWY. I did read some of the other threads on mileage and would consider the CAI and Exhaust, but it just seems to me like the engine could run more efficiently...
Are there any computer add-ons available?

Thanks, Eric

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Eric13el said:
My MPG is terrible at around 14 city, 17HWY. I did read some of the other threads on mileage and would consider the CAI and Exhaust, but it just seems to me like the engine could run more efficiently...
Are there any computer add-ons available?

Thanks, Eric
Welcome Eric,

Your mileage is consistent with other 3.7 owners, you will pick up very little MPG with the CAI or exhaust but it will inprove your performance a slight bit. The only computer add-on I have used is the Jet Chip and for your money you are better off without it, not sure if it is available for the 3.7 anyway.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Ya know,Eric,before you get too concerned about a sooty pipe I'd say first clean it out with a rag soaked w/carb cleaner as far as you can reach in there.Then see how long it takes to soot.Your Jeep's previous owner may have been a around towner and rarly on the highway where the F.I.runs its tightest cross counts and injector pulse widths.Also with fuel prices as they are,your previous owner may have been running it on some teir 2 bottom slime fuel.This stuff has a lot of poor burning additives to bring it up into grade so it can achieve its advertised octane rating.Trouble is those partially burned additives stick to the coolest part of the exaust[tailpipe]Since your mileage is consistent with the others reporting,I doubt if you have anything to be really concerned with. My $.02 Rob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks alot for the input all. I read somewhere here that it may be a good idea to re-set the shift points on the vehicle by disconnecting the positive terminal, and hold the key to start for 60 seconds? Is this advisable?

Thanks again, Nice forum you have here :)

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Eric13el said:
Thanks alot for the input all. I read somewhere here that it may be a good idea to re-set the shift points on the vehicle by disconnecting the positive terminal, and hold the key to start for 60 seconds? Is this advisable?

It won't hurt anything. Many of us have done it. Go for it.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Eric13el said:

Disconnect the negitive terminal, and you do not need to do anything with the key.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have another (unrelated) question.

I cant get the air/heat to stop blowing on my feet. No matter what setting I use (pointed at face, recirculate, defrost) it still blows on the floor.

Is this normal?

One more stupid question... What does XK stand for?

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
your air damper is not closing all the way. Does it stop when you turn off the blower? When you are moving, w/blower off, feel air blowing?

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Eric13el said:
One more stupid question... What does XK stand for?
There are no stupid questions -- we all had to learn. XK is the Chrysler model designation code for the Commander. For a complete list of Jeep vehicles and their designation codes go HERE

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
There is a TSB (service Bulliteen) that covers the floor vents, there is an option to get vents installed that you can close to help move air off your feet.

·
Registered
456 Posts
a49erFan said:
There is a TSB (service Bulliteen) that covers the floor vents, there is an option to get vents installed that you can close to help move air off your feet.
Can anyone post that TSB for us? I just posted last week with the same proble. The defrost blows more air on your feet than the windshield

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cico7 said:
your air damper is not closing all the way. Does it stop when you turn off the blower? When you are moving, w/blower off, feel air blowing?
Yep- Everything stops when I turn off the blower. I really wouldnt care cept the wife was complaining that her feet were cold! :)

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Command This. said:
Can anyone post that TSB for us? I just posted last week with the same proble. The defrost blows more air on your feet than the windshield
Here is the link for the TSB, but I don't think that this is your problem. The TSB is for if there is too much air coming out by the feet when that option is turned on. Your problem is that air is always coming from that area.

http://www.xkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_xk_2400107.pdf

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So is it just MY truck, or does everyone experience this? If it is not working right and can be fixed, I want to bring it back to the dealer and have them do me up

Thanks, E

1 - 16 of 16 Posts