Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
'Trail Rated' 2008 Commander Overland: 5.7, 2" lift, Black, QD2
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son just purchased a 2008 Commander Overland 5.7 QDII 2" lift. It had a few issues which appeared to be easy fixes, but one in particular is proving nightmarish: There was a 'click' or 'snap' noise coming from - it seemed - the front left wheel. It sounded a lot like a worn CV joint as it would increase in speed with wheel rotation and especially when turning or harder acceleration. It's not a constant 'snapping' sound, but it goes something like "brrripp-rrripp-rrripp-rrripp-rripp", with a very short pause in between. I replaced the CV shaft and it didn't stop it. I replaced the hub/bearing assy and it didn't stop it.

I'm out of ideas.

Has anyone else ever even heard of this?

Could it be something in the diff?

·
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,022 Posts
ELD_JR
Welcome to the forum. Please read this and fill in some of your details and make a signature with the Commander details
(1) Forum Rules / Vendor Rules | Jeep Commander Forum
To change your signature and other info -
Try starting here - Click in the little avatar top right - picture attached. Then select the "Account Settings" that should get you going.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My son just purchased a 2008 Commander Overland 5.7 QDII 2" lift. It had a few issues which appeared to be easy fixes, but one in particular is proving nightmarish: There was a 'click' or 'snap' noise coming from - it seemed - the front left wheel. It sounded a lot like a worn CV joint as it would increase in speed with wheel rotation and especially when turning or harder acceleration. It's not a constant 'snapping' sound, but it goes something like "brrripp-rrripp-rrripp-rrripp-rripp", with a very short pause in between. I replaced the CV shaft and it didn't stop it. I replaced the hub/bearing assy and it didn't stop it.

I'm out of ideas.

Has anyone else ever even heard of this?

Could it be something in the diff?
Yes, it could be.
I have a 2008 Commander that developed a noise in the last week or so. It sounds a lot like a bad CV or U-joint and is coming from the front left of the vehicle.
I am posting here to follow what you find, what others reply with and to update you on what I find out.
Today, I jacked up the vehicle and had my daughter move the wheel back and forth while I inspected the joints. The joints all seem fine. The t-case however, has slop. I made note that the front drive shaft is on the driver's side I took it for another drive, focusing on the direction the noise is coming from and I do believe it could be the T-Case.
When my ZJ was crow-hopping real bad, I used to remove the front drive shaft in the spring and leave it off until late fall because I did not want to rebuild the t-case, ( I worked with the people who deigned and developed that t-case, so I knew it was the viscous clutch) SO, later this week I am going to remove the front drive shaft on the Commander, I will let you know if the noise goes away, if I find anything I missed today, and start thinking about getting the t-case rebuilt.

·
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,022 Posts
The Commander will only move in 4 wheel drive low, if the front drive shaft is removed.
Also shade tree jack, check post 3 above and likewise do the new member thing.

·
Registered
2007 Commander Overland 4X4 5.7. QDII
14 Posts
Transfer case slop or front differential slop ?
The T-Case is bolted solidly to the back of the transmission , if you are getting slop from that it will be from the driveshaft that goes from the case to the front differential.
Noise transmitting to the CV shafts usually comes from the front differential mounting bushings being worn out. There are several vid's out there on YT that point it out and how to check for it. It's a common problem with these and Grand Cherokee's. Bushings are cheap but the labor can get up there if you don't DIY.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Commander will only move in 4 wheel drive low, if the front drive shaft is removed.
Also shade tree jack, check post 3 above and likewise do the new member thing.
This one has the NV140, so there is no low. I see that if I remove the front propshaft, it won't move at all because this TCase is a center differential type. I found a video with similar symptoms that turned out to be both the propshft CV joint and T-Case bearings.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: Tried the ELSD - engaged the "Low Range" via 'T-Handle' next to the shifter and drove it for about 35 feet on the lawn forward and backward 4 times and while mild/moderate turning [I know not to try it on pavement]. Worked perfectly with no added noise, only what was there already; I had thought that if it was an internal issue with the front diff. perhaps I'd get an indicative change in sound. Nope.

BTW the lower left front Control Arm was just changed last week, and the Dr. side axle-CV-shaft, and the hub/bearing. Upper ball-joint no slop.

I might try to record the actual sound from outside the veh. for reference. Should I upload a clip?

·
Administrator
16,027 Posts
Reactions: Eld_jr

·
Administrator
16,027 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
UPDATE: I now strongly suspect the Transfer Case. I happened across this video just now and it sounds almost exactly the same, wih the intermittent 'brriiiiipp-brriipp-briipp' sound, though in this video the sound seems to be emanating through the floor. I've never had a transfer case apart, but it sounds like either a gear is worn, a gear shaft or bearing is worn [allowing it to lose mesh and jump over teeth], or something like that. I have an appointment at my mechanic for July 7. Just in "case" I'm going to price some options, either a TC rebuild or replacement 🤒.

I haven't recorded my own video yet, but this sounds pretty close to what we're experiencing:

EDIT: Just looked at some diagrams of the two-speed case [High-Low Range].

If'n I was a bett'n man I'd bet it's the chain, but if I took it apart I'd have to do the whole kit. Is this a highly technical job [shims, etc.] or is it a straight-forward component-replacement?

·
Registered
136 Posts
The chain in your transfer case got stretched. It slips under acceleration.
If'n I was a bett'n man I'd bet it's the chain, but if I took it apart I'd have to do the whole kit. Is this a highly technical job [shims, etc.] or is it a straight-forward component-replacement?
People are different, but I bet, in turn, that every man who's able to hold the wrench can do this in 8 hours if no distractions. Okay, maybe 10 if it's getting done for the first time.

The part numbers listed are absolute minimum for the upcoming repairing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The chain in your transfer case got stretched. It slips under acceleration.

People are different, but I bet, in turn, that every man who's able to hold the wrench can do this in 8 hours if no distractions. Okay, maybe 10 if it's getting done for the first time.

The part numbers listed are absolute minimum for the upcoming repairing.

View attachment 42781
You guys are gems.

Thanks for this. HUUGE help.

I'm also looking at a couple of ebay TCs from LKQ, etc. Found 4-5 that I can afford, a couple with 6 mo. warranties.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yesterday I scored a NP245 from a low-mileage Commander 5.7 at the local boneyard for $275. I got a steering knuckle and a fuel tank skid plate from the same veh. last week [$50 each]. Don't know how many miles exactly, but the skidplate is near-mint and the TC shows very little oxidation on the case. They said the veh. was brought in with a blown engine and the owner didn't want to spend the $$$$.$$ to replace it. The interior is cloth, but it's MINT. The seats look new. If I had a place to put it where the better half wouldn't have to look at it I'd think about buying the whole thing for long-term parts, but you can't always get what you want [but if you try sometimes you get what you need].

Is there anything particular I ought to know about swapping out TCs on Commanders? Some trick or point I should especially note?

Many thanks to the folks that have been contributing. Your help has made a big difference.

·
Registered
2007 Commander Overland 4X4 5.7. QDII
14 Posts
Good score !

I would suggest getting access to a hoist to change it out , plus another set of hands.
Not something you want to do laying on your back by yourself.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts