Jeep Commander Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,022 Posts
On the Transfer case you are putting in - change the oil and only use this oil.
2 Quarts of Mopar nv245 / nv247 / nv249 Transfer case fluid.

Reactions: Eld_jr

·
Registered
'Trail Rated' 2008 Commander Overland: 5.7, 2" lift, Black, QD2
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Good score !

I would suggest getting access to a hoist to change it out , plus another set of hands.
Not something you want to do laying on your back by yourself.
Heh... yeah, 'Roger' on getting help. I could 'bench press' it a few times, but holding it up while trying to get a bolt in would be a recipe for a disaster. I'm not a young man anymore anywhere except between my ears, if you know what I mean. It's my son's Commander. He's going to help or it won't get done.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Right. I'm actually on my way "up town" to get some at the dealer. The forums here are a huuge help.

I said it before, I'll say it again: "You guys are gems".

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Already obtained two quarts. TC is out and MAN what a BEAR to get to the top bolts, but got it done. Next comes install of replacement TC. Not looking forward to it, but it'll get done this week.

·
Registered
2006 Jeep commander. 135000. quad 2. 4.7. 2inch rough country lift. Goodyear ats with cavalar
8 Posts
My son just purchased a 2008 Commander Overland 5.7 QDII 2" lift. It had a few issues which appeared to be easy fixes, but one in particular is proving nightmarish: There was a 'click' or 'snap' noise coming from - it seemed - the front left wheel. It sounded a lot like a worn CV joint as it would increase in speed with wheel rotation and especially when turning or harder acceleration. It's not a constant 'snapping' sound, but it goes something like "brrripp-rrripp-rrripp-rrripp-rripp", with a very short pause in between. I replaced the CV shaft and it didn't stop it. I replaced the hub/bearing assy and it didn't stop it.

I'm out of ideas.

Has anyone else ever even heard of this?

Could it be something in the diff?
check your front dif bushings. My driver side cv axle was coming out of the differential under torc. Also if your driver side differential seal is damaged in anyway it will cause the axle and the slip ring to bind up.

·
Administrator
16,027 Posts
@PattiAnn Killmoves Please go ro your account settings and create a signature with info about your Commander (year, model trim, engine, drivetrain, etc.). Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
UPDATE: I finished the TC swap. It wasn't the TC. Gotta be something in the front Diff.
It's going to my mechanic on the 7th. I've lost enough hair.

·
Administrator
16,027 Posts
UPDATE: I finished the TC swap. It wasn't the TC. Gotta be something in the front Diff.
It's going to my mechanic on the 7th. I've lost enough hair.
@Eld_jr Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
check your front dif bushings. My driver side cv axle was coming out of the differential under torc. Also if your driver side differential seal is damaged in anyway it will cause the axle and the slip ring to bind up.
I had the same problem and replaced the driveshaft. Check the rear shaft also.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I had the same problem and replaced the driveshaft. Check the rear shaft also.
Yes. I had it at the shop yesterday and they replaced the front driveshaft bec. the CV was blown. Didn't solve the problem :mad:. When I talked to the tech I said, "It sounds like a spline-engagement problem, like the shaft is chewing up the spline-receiver in the differential carrier." I suggested draining the fluid and checking with a magnet for metal particles. I guess they'll be doing that today since the new d'shaft didn't fix it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes. I had it at the shop yesterday and they replaced the front driveshaft bec. the CV was blown. Didn't solve the problem :mad:. When I talked to the tech I said, "It sounds like a spline-engagement problem, like the shaft is chewing up the spline-receiver in the differential carrier." I suggested draining the fluid and checking with a magnet for metal particles. I guess they'll be doing that today since the new d'shaft didn't fix it.
Did he show you the damaged spline?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Did he show you the damaged spline?
I haven't been to the shop yet today, but I'm headed there soon. I suggested that they check the fluid for metallic particles and they didn't do it, instead they saw the front d/s cv was blown and ASSumed that was the problem so replaced it. SURPRISE! the proiblem remained. They should have done what I asked them to and I could've replaced the front d/s for about $300 less than it ended up costing me. I have a line on a used front lim/slp 3.73 differential out of a Commander 5.7 for $600 shipped, and it's in my 'shopping cart' for when they tell me I was right about the front diff.

These guys are good, and I've never been taken for a ride by them, they just missed this one.

Since axlw shafts are usually made from harder steel, I'm guessing that if there's damage it won't be the shaft but the spline receiver in the carrier unit, though if/when they pull the axle it'll show some chewed-up metal particles on it. First I'd drain the fluid and use a magnet to collect any metal particles suspended in it. That would reveal right away if there's damage internally.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Well, my shop is short-handed and wouldn't be able to do a tear-down and inspection of the front diff. for two weeks. I've replaced everything else. I pulled the trigger on a replacement front electronic limited slip diff. assembly as I cannot conceive of anything else that could be making the kind of noise that is coming from the front end of my son's Commander. It's supposed to be at my home by the 19th.

Wish me good fortune. I need it. :sick:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Well I pulled out the front differential from my son's 2008 Commander. I examined the axle shafts and couldn't see any visible evidence of spline stripping/slippage, though I did note some of what felt like side-to-side slop in the driver's side bearing. Now I wait for the "new" diff. to show up sometime around the 20th. Think between now and then I'll get a new passenger-side shaft as the outboard CV was kinda loosey-goosey.

Recommendations on isolation bushings?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Well I pulled out the front differential from my son's 2008 Commander. I examined the axle shafts and couldn't see any visible evidence of spline stripping/slippage, though I did note some of what felt like side-to-side slop in the driver's side bearing. Now I wait for the "new" diff. to show up sometime around the 20th. Think between now and then I'll get a new passenger-side shaft as the outboard CV was kinda loosey-goosey.

Recommendations on isolation bushings?
Well I finally disassembled the front differential. I swirled a magnetic pickup tool around in the bucket of lube and came up with fine steel splinters. I inserted the intermediate shaft from the passenger side to check for bearing slop and there was plenty as per the video, also rotated the internals using the shaft and there was the noise as you can hear on the video. "New" differential is at the terminal and I'm waiting for it to be delivered; was supposed to be yesterday. Got the new isolation bushings today. Just waiting on the new diff. now.

What an adventure :rolleyes:

21 - 37 of 37 Posts