Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just recently our Commander (2006 4.7 AWD 62k miles) randomly beganmaking a noise that can only be explained as the same sound a flat tire makes. The tires are fine so we can rule that out. We did have our Commander at the dealer earlier this year for an clunking suspecsion type noise in the front left side when traveling over larger road imperfections. Of course they could not replicate it. We took our verhicle back to the dealer for the "flat tire sound" and they of course can not replicate the sound and have said that everything is tight under there. That was the previous answer/solution they proved for the front clunking. The vehicle is under a Jeep extended warranty that runs out soon. I think they just want us to keep forking over $100 deductable each visit.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Clunks going over bumps is often Sway Bar bushings, and there has been several threads about this and how new sway bar bushings fixed the problem. And other tall Chrysler vehicles are the same, like the mini-vans, their forums have similar threads about fixing clunks with sway bar bushings.

My '99 Neon R/T has had the rear "Drum-in-Hat" e-brake lock up from built up dust that wedge between shoe and drum-in-hat. When it happened, it felt and sounded like the opposite side front tire had gone flat. It was more than noise it was vibration also. It took a while to figure out, because it felt and sounded like a front tire, NOT rear, and every time I'd pull over to check it out, I'd find nothing wrong. Finally I spotted the rear brakes and wheels were red hot.

Pulling the rear rotors and cleaning out the dust from the Drum-in-Hat in e-brake, adjusting the rear shoes kept if from happening again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts