Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed 2.5"/2" front/rear spacer lift. Everything went together without a hitch, but the front end is now sitting about 1" higher than it is supposed to. Installed the rear and it lifted exactly 2". I next installed the left front, lowered it to the ground and it sat perfect, 2.5" and even with the rear. After I installed the right front and dropped it to the ground, both left and right fronts ended up sitting about an inch higher (3.5") than they are supposed to. Any clue what I did wrong in the "put everything back together" stage of the install? Did I do something out of order causing both sides in front to sit an inch too high?
TIA
- Jeremy

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Newly Installed

If you just lowered the XK to the ground after installing the kit, and measured it then I would take it around the block a couple of times ans see if the XK stretches a little bit and settles in to where it wants to be. May be have your alignment checked?

Swanny

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Just installed 2.5"/2" front/rear spacer lift. Everything went together without a hitch, but the front end is now sitting about 1" higher than it is supposed to. Installed the rear and it lifted exactly 2". I next installed the left front, lowered it to the ground and it sat perfect, 2.5" and even with the rear. After I installed the right front and dropped it to the ground, both left and right fronts ended up sitting about an inch higher (3.5") than they are supposed to. Any clue what I did wrong in the "put everything back together" stage of the install? Did I do something out of order causing both sides in front to sit an inch too high?
TIA
- Jeremy
First off, I'll reiterate what Swanny said - Go get an alignment done ASAP. It won't effect the way your Commander is sitting - but when you have that big a change in your suspension geometry, a post-lift alignment is an absolute must-do, or you will kill your tires in no time at all.

Now that being said Jeremy, I'll say this; I don't think you did anything wrong and I'll use this pic of my XK when it was stock - when I first bought it to illustrate why;

See how my Commander sitting when it was stock - with the rear higher than the front?

Most spacer lifts, like the RC lift for example are designed to be leveling lifts.

Well how do they accomplish leveling the Commander out?

Well, the spacers in the front are typically designed about an inch to an inch and a half higher than the spacers for the rear and are designed to raise the front an inch to an inch and a half higher than they raise the back - to have your Commander sit perfectly level - or very close to perfectly level.

So if you ask what did you do wrong? I would say absolutely nothing - other than maybe not being aware of what the lift you were going to install was supposed to do.

Even though it raised the front an inch and a half higher than the rear - I'd bet your Commander is sitting perfectly level - or very close to it.

That's what spacer lifts are designed to do.

·
Registered
29 Posts
" I next installed the left front, lowered it to the ground and it sat perfect, 2.5" and even with the rear."
From this statement it was level but after the other side was installed it's now nose high by an inch, so the rake now is reversed

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
" I next installed the left front, lowered it to the ground and it sat perfect, 2.5" and even with the rear."
From this statement it was level but after the other side was installed it's now nose high by an inch, so the rake now is reversed
I'm curious to know if he actually measured the front and back as it sits now, with a tape measure.

Spacer lifts do give the illusion that the front looks higher than the rear - when it actually is not.

I'd like to see/hear what the actual height in inches is, on a level surface, from the ground to the center/bottom of each fender flare front & back.

In other words, this distance measured (see pic below) on both the front and back fender flares.

Then you'll know without any question, if it's really sitting an inch high in the front - or not.

·
Registered
176 Posts
To me the more accurate measurement is from the center of the wheel to the lip of the flare. There are lots of different tire sizes which adds or detracts from lifts when we compare - but the center of the wheel to the flare remains consistent since the tire size is removed from the equation.

Also, the front wheel opening is bigger than the rear opening so if the ground-to-flare measurement is the same the front will actually be slightly lower than the rear. I measure the height from the ground to the top edge of the rocker just below the doors - one measurement at the front edge of the front door and the rear edge of the rear door. On mine, the height from the ground to those two points is 18 3/4" - so my XK is sitting exactly level. But the hub-to-flare measurement in the front is 22" and the hub-to-flare in the rear is 21 1/2" - the difference is the larger opening of the front wheel well.

When comparing lift heights of our XK's if we all use the hub-to-flare method we know how much lift we have compared to others. There are too many different tire sizes to get an accurate idea of lift measuring from the ground to the flare.

My 2 cents...

Bob

·
Registered
70 Posts
This thread has me concerned as I was going to order the RC lift and spacers this week. I did see one lifted XK the other day by me and the front also looked higher. It was a larger lift though. Maybe 4".
I'll prob just be running my stock tires for a while since they were just put on when I bought the XK.
Unless someone would want to buy my stock 245s. Then I may be able to persuade the boss lady into getting some larger tires. That would be nice, maybe I will post something in the for sale section after the lift gets on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
This thread has me concerned as I was going to order the RC lift and spacers this week. I did see one lifted XK the other day by me and the front also looked higher. It was a larger lift though. Maybe 4".
I'll prob just be running my stock tires for a while since they were just put on when I bought the XK.
Unless someone would want to buy my stock 245s. Then I may be able to persuade the boss lady into getting some larger tires. That would be nice, maybe I will post something in the for sale section after the lift gets on.
To each his own.

I have the 2 inch RC Lift and it's been awesome for me, I have no complaints.

·
Registered
176 Posts

Take a look at Blue's XK in his signature - it looks great with the RC lift and is balanced perfectly front to back.

I was surprised how much lift I got with new OME heavy duty springs - was told by the vendor that the front would be about 2" less than it ended up being - but now that it's been on there a while it looks 'right' to me. I'm happy with it. And I'm still running stock size tires too; one size bigger would look better but no one has said it looks bad.

Remember you can always put in an extra isolator in the rear to raise it 1/2" to "level" it or give it the front-to-back rake it had from the factory. Especially for the price, the RC lift is a pretty good way to lift the XK.

Bob

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks Bob and Blue. I am going to get the lift. You guys and your sharing of knowledge is much appreciated.

I am curious about the OP's issues. I wonder if it leveled out after he drove it some.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hey guys, sorry for the delay. I wasn't being notified that I was getting responses here. However, I found out why it was sitting so high on both sides. See pics below. The knuckle was hitting/resting on the shock assembly and not allowing it to fully sit down. I tested the install and started it all over again with the same results. When I only have the left side jacked up , spacer installed, and lowered back down everything clears and the XK sits 2.5" higher as it should. BUT when I jack up the right side to begin the install, the right side raises with the jack but after a few inches the left side starts raising as well! It's like the shock just stops compressing or something. When this occurs it causes both knuckles to catch the shock assembly. I even tried simultaneously installing left and right with my brother's help and the same result. No matter what I do both knuckles will hit. It doesn't make any sense to me. Hopefully the pics shed some light.

I was thinking that maybe I was sent the wrong spacers for the front, because when you add these it certainly puts more strain on the upper and lower control arms, and will naturally as everything goes up, based on the geometry of the front end, tires and suspension move closer to the midline of the Jeep. Either way, the kit should raise the front 2.5" and the rear 2'". Front spacer by itself measures 2.5", rear 2".

I have removed the front spacers until I can figure out a resolution. The XK currrenty looks like a drag car with the rear sitting at 22" and the front back to stock at 19.5". I've got lifetime alignments so that's taken care of.

To answer some of your measurement questions...

Stock height hub to fender flare: f/r 19.5"/20"
Spacer installed height hub to fender flare: f/r 23.5"22"

If I missed anything or you know the remedy this, please let me know.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
a couple more pics...

Those of you with 2.5" front leveling kits, does your spacer actually measure 2.5"? This one does and I'm pretty positive it should only be maybe a little over an inch tall. I am basing this off what I see with the RC 2" kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
You're right, that setup won't work.

Those front measurements are very high - at 23.5" in the front you're 1.5" higher than I am and I'd consider 22" to be at the edge especially with stock upper control arms. The upper ball joint in one of the pictures is at an extreme angle and that joint won't last long - it's cocked completely to one side. Too dangerous to run that way.

Did you change springs too? With just the spacer I would think you'd be OK but if the springs are new/upgraded the addition of the spacer lifted you too much.

Did you do an alignment after you put in the spacers? To get the alignment correct the lower control arm will need to be moved outboard to get the camber back in spec; that will move the knuckle/upper arm away from the spring a little bit. Still not enough to relieve the angle on the upper ball joint but it will help.

I thought the spacers were supposed to raise the REAR by 2.5" and the front by 2". If what you said about your kit is correct that seems backwards to me...

Bob

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
L to r, r to l

Any chance you got the right side on the left and the left side on the right? The shocks/struts are directional and that could cause the misalignment.

Swanny

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought the spacers were supposed to raise the REAR by 2.5" and the front by 2". If what you said about your kit is correct that seems backwards to me...
It's a leveling kit so it should raise the front a bit more than the rear since it comes stock with a positive rake. Just talked to the RC guys (not the kit I bought, but apparently should have) and they said in their 2" lift the front spacer measures just over 1" and the rear spacer measures about 1/2".

Springs and shocks were not replaced, still stock. Before putting on a new, correct spacer up front I am going to go ahead and replace the shocks. These are pushing up in mileage.

Yeah I adjusted the LCA all the way out and the knuckle still wouldn't clear because that spacer is just way to big.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Those of you with 2.5" front leveling kits, does your spacer actually measure 2.5"? This one does and I'm pretty positive it should only be maybe a little over an inch tall. I am basing this off what I see with the RC 2" kit.
Just got mine from Heavy Metal

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts