Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like everyone here is running some sort of spacer. Has anyone ever had any problems with them? I talked to the people at America's Tires and Les Schwab and they both said they wouldn't touch my Commander with spacers on, due to liability reasons... So I am wondering if they are even worth the hassle or if anyone has ever experienced any problems with them? How often do you guys check your spacers? Has anyone ever had one come off?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
If you have no problems rotating your own tires then I'd say go for it. If you dont have the proper tools/time to do it and need to take it somewhere to have it done then you might have to call around and see who would do it for you.

I have 1.25 inch Spidertrax wheel spacers on my XK and love them. If they are installed properly with locktite and torqued properly you will have no problems. Just make sure after 50-100 miles you recheck the spacers and retorque them down.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
If you have no problems rotating your own tires then I'd say go for it. If you dont have the proper tools/time to do it and need to take it somewhere to have it done then you might have to call around and see who would do it for you.

I have 1.25 inch Spidertrax wheel spacers on my XK and love them. If they are installed properly with locktite and torqued properly you will have no problems. Just make sure after 50-100 miles you recheck the spacers and retorque them down.
x2 - At one time I had a 96 Explorer Sport with spacers. I put 196K miles on it. I put the spacers on, and never checked them because I didn't know I was supposed to check them. Never had an issue with them. I installed the 1.25 SpiderTrax on my Jeep. I bought a tube of red locktite and was very liberal with the installation. I torqued them to 100 ft lb. I drove about 150 miles and retorqued them - not one was loose. If you want them and like the the look, I'd say go for it. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats alot more of comforting then what ive heard... Of course it was the horror stories, tires falling off, spacers eventually sheering the lug nuts due to stress, and it made me rethink putting them on. I guess I know what ill be doing when I get home from gettin my tires on!

·
Registered
696 Posts
my friends dad was running spacers on his F-250 when it sheered right off. It was only a myth to me until I saw it happen. Not good! Emphasis on sheering off too because when it sheers off I dont think it matters how much torque you put on it or how much lock tite.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Were the spacers that sheered similar to the ones used by other members on the site where the spacer bolts to the hub and the wheel bolts to the spacer?

Just asking, because I remember in my younger years getting spacers that were essentially just a big washer meant to match the bolt pattern. These would put a lot more stress on components.

I'm not sure how the spacers mentioned on this board would apply anymore stress than a properly spaced wheel providing a wider stance.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
... bolts act like springs. Having a properly backspaced wheel with a single bolted connection to the hub is a completely different mechanism than having a spacer bolted to the hub and then a wheel bolted to the spacer.

I wouldn't necessarily call it unsafe.... but there is a reason shops wont touch them. They're higher risk than properly backspaced wheels.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, I put the spacers on last night. It looks great, however, even though the spidertrax wheel spacers seem solid and I like the design, I am still on the fence if I want to keep them or not. I look at all the guys on the forum running them, and I think, meh, can't be THAT unsafe.. But then again, theres some that have put em on and taken em off...

·
Registered
195 Posts
I was told by a shop foreman that the reason shops wont touch spacers is bc they use air wrenches torqued so high that they could spin the stud inside the aluminum spacer and that is when things start to fail. Hand tighten and torque and you will never have a problem. Just sayin.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I was told by a shop foreman that the reason shops wont touch spacers is bc they use air wrenches torqued so high that they could spin the stud inside the aluminum spacer and that is when things start to fail. Hand tighten and torque and you will never have a problem. Just sayin.
Sounds like a shop you should stay away from.

Back when I was a tech, we used torque sticks that were rated for each vehicle; thereby preventing our high powered air guns from over torquing wheel studs.

That shop foreman doesn't sound too bright to me if he's saying that his techs are cranking down on your lug nuts with 600 ft-lb. :stickpoke:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Sounds like a shop you should stay away from.

Back when I was a tech, we used torque sticks that were rated for each vehicle; thereby preventing our high powered air guns from over torquing wheel studs.

That shop foreman doesn't sound too bright to me if he's saying that his techs are cranking down on your lug nuts with 600 ft-lb. :stickpoke:
Sounds like an honest man to me. I've never seen a shop or anyone else for that matter use a torque wrench on wheels.

On the other hand, I've seen lots of lug nuts torqued on so tight with impact wrenches that you need an extension bar on the lug wrench to get them loose.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Do you know what a torque stick looks like? Not a torque wrench.... its a torque stick. Basically looks like a longer extension for the end of the air gun. You've probably seen them being used and not realized it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hey, a tool I wasn't aware of ....neat!

I still wouldn't bet on the majority of shops using them, but then again, I tend to do all the work on my own vehicles.....partially because I haven't found a shop I trust, and partially because I can, and like the satisfaction and sense of accomplishment of doing it on my own. On rare occasions when I thought I needed a professional or simply didn't have the time to deal with it myself I have always been disappointed.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Haha yeah they're standard for all the shops I've ever worked in or with.

Granted there are techs that don't aways use them, most techs know when to let off the trigger to not over torque the lugs (but there are plenty of slackers out there that screw up too).

I'm not a full time tech anymore.... but I have all my tools in my garage. And if I need to do anything, I'm still close friends with the shop owner so he lets me use the shop (or I let one of the guys I trained do the work)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I pulled my tires last night and checked all the torque on the spacers and they were all still tight. I'll keep them on until I get the ok to put new wheels on..

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I went with 245/75s so I wouldnt need spacers. Technically, they are illegal in Va, meaning they are not supposed to pass state inspection. Not saying I would ever have a problem, just avoiding all that. I dont know anyone running spacers locally and I have heard all the horror stories, but my buddy had a 01 Dodge with a lift and bigger tires and no spacers. He was constantly busting wheel studs. he used a torque wrench every time. Any part can fail, may or may not ever happen.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I am currently running 1.5" spacers on my Jeep. I put them on when I did the 2" lift in anticipation of buying larger tires (haven't done that yet). I have been checking other forums since first reading this thread, and all of them seem to be exactly like this one. Some pro, and some negative. However, the negative comments seem to out number the pro comments in every forum I have researched. One comment I read particularly got my attention. He said, imagine lifting a heavy box. Try lifting the box close to your body as possible. Then, try lifting the same box with your arms extended out as far as you can. With arms extended, the box is almost impossible to lift. Now, compare this to the weight on the hub and particularly the wheel bearings inside the hub. I may remove my spacers this weekend.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts