Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited W/5.7 Hemi, Magnaflow Muffler and a K&N filter. Love the ride but can't get the warning message "Spare, Low Pressure". And yes I double checked the pressure and it is at 36PSI. How to get the message off? I have a Diablo Predator and cleared all the code messages and still can't get that message to go away. :mofo:

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Please try to ask one kind of questions in your post that that the thread can contain a singular topic that flows with the title.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
The sensor may be bad. you can pick them up on ebay. I think the dealer has to program it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I put air in mine and the messages goes away it is hard to get to without dropping spare. I will air it up to 40psi so it takes awhile to go down and come on again, if you are using a stick tire gauge they may be way off, I use a dial or electronic.
Have a second set of rims for studded tires and the system picked up the new sensors automaticaly. If you have to get a new sensor be sure you get the right one as the frequencies have been changed on the newer systems.

David

·
Registered
27 Posts
I read somewhere in the manual that the tire pressure sensors are a comparative function - so they are not triggered by a specific psi, but if one tire is more than a pound or two lower than the others. So, you may want to compare the pressure in your spare to that of your other four.

·
Super Moderator
15,108 Posts
I read somewhere in the manual that the tire pressure sensors are a comparative function - so they are not triggered by a specific psi, but if one tire is more than a pound or two lower than the others. So, you may want to compare the pressure in your spare to that of your other four.
The TPS does measure the tire pressure -- it does not compare the pressures in the tires to each other.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm having a similar problem, but I can't get the light to go out. I have replaced the sensor and put 40 psi in the tire and the light still won't go out. I even put the tire in another location and it worked fine, showed the pressure no problem. Put it back in the spare location and the light is still on. Anybody have any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
15,108 Posts
I'm having a similar problem, but I can't get the light to go out. I have replaced the sensor and put 40 psi in the tire and the light still won't go out. I even put the tire in another location and it worked fine, showed the pressure no problem. Put it back in the spare location and the light is still on. Anybody have any ideas?
Maybe a bad sensor ? Not the one in the tire but the receiver.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Do you know if that is something I can replace? Is there a receiver for each wheel?
I think I read somewhere on the forum that there is a receiver for each wheel. Dont quote me on this though.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I think I read somewhere on the forum that there is a receiver for each wheel. Dont quote me on this though.
You've been quoted! Buy it is a good thing because you are correct. Some models (at least the limiteds) have individual sensors for all five tires. I know my front ones are right next to the pinch weld becuase I hit on when trying to bend the welds. There is one for the spare but I have never droped my spare tire to look for the sensor.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
I wonder what would happen if you took the spare off and moved it away from the truck so it couldn't read it. Turn the truck on and off a few times then bring the tire back and see if it reads it or reset it. I don't know just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As a49sFan pointed out the Limited trim monitors and gives a readout for each wheel with only a warning for the spare if low. The base system just sets a warning message for low pressure. If you've tried moving the wheel to another position and placed that wheel in the spare position and still get the warning then I would think receiver. The spare receiver could be sending a false signal to the BCM. D-nice's suggestion may also be worth a try to maybe trick the receiver - but I wonder what the range is (possibly a few yards at most). And then it might say spare missing given today's vehicles who knows.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have driven without the spare and get the same message, spare low pressure. I was looking for the receiver for the spare and thinking it would be near the spare tire location I could not find it. I did find one behind the passenger side rear tire, right next to the muffler (you can see it without lowering the spare). I am not sure if this is for the spare or the passenger rear wheel. I was going to unplug it to check, but am not sure how to unplug it. If someone could tell me how that would be great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, after doing some more research on this site, I found out there is only 3 sensors. Two in the front and the one I found in the back. So, i'm not sure how it all works but i don't think a sensor would be bad or I wouldn't be getting the tire pressures for all the other wheels. So unless anybody has any ideas, I'll be taking it to the dealer.

·
2,248 Posts
The receivers must be location dependent. I had a flat on a trail ride. The warning came on before the tire went completely flat. We changed it to the spare and put the flat in the spare location. It took about 15 minutes for the low tire warning to go away and for the locations to switch on the display.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just to follow up, I finally got the Message to go away. Turns out the place I got the spare fixed and the new sensor installed, didn't fix the spare. They patched the hole in the spare but didn't see the sidewall damage. So after putting a different tire on and entering the sensor code at the dealer the message went away after about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I recently moved my spare tire from the cargo area inside the Jeep to the roof rack. I forgot about the sensor and to my surprise, it does not give a warning on the spare air pressure. The spare is mounted about mid roof, aft of the sunroof and above the skylights.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts