Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning on they way to work the Spare Low Pressure light comes on. It cold here in Chicago so I have had to add air to the front right in the last month but how am i going to get air in the spare?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
588 Posts
You can also crawl under on your back and reach up to put air in the spare. I suggest when you have the tires rotated you have them inflate the spare also at least up to 35 maybe 37. Easy for them when its on a lift. john
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
I just had the same problem - they actually had to reconfigure the gage and sensor. The spare is really not in an easy location. especially if you live where salt/sand is used to treat snow/ice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,788 Posts
I bought me a mini air pump, jumped underneath and aired it up. It's tight under there because the stem is on the top side, but I got it. Also had to air up all four tires due to temp dropping. I bought my own pump because everytime I go to put air in my tires, I end up having to drive to about 3 or 4 gas stations before I find a pump that actually works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
This drives me nuts. I have had my 06 for two years, and I have to add air to the tires every time the temperature drops, then usually another 1-2 times during the winter months. I assume this is normal, but I've never had a car with pressure sensors so I have no point of reference. The warnings come on when the pressure gets to around 30-31 psi and I have to add to get it up to 35. I've had to do the spare 4 times in two years, which seems excessive and is a real pain in the *** because of the location of the stem on top of the spare.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
452 Posts
Haags said:
This drives me nuts. I have had my 06 for two years, and I have to add air to the tires every time the temperature drops, then usually another 1-2 times during the winter months. I assume this is normal, but I've never had a car with pressure sensors so I have no point of reference. The warnings come on when the pressure gets to around 30-31 psi and I have to add to get it up to 35. I've had to do the spare 4 times in two years, which seems excessive and is a real pain in the *** because of the location of the stem on top of the spare.
This is perfectly normal. You're just not accustom to having TPMS. If you have friends/family or other vehicles, this will hold true as well. For every possibly 8-12 degree drop in temperature, air compresses in, thus your PSI drops as well. A good practice is to add about 2-3 PSI more per tire, when the tires are cold, and your not freezing your butt off too much outside, during the day. This way, when the weather gets colder overnight, the 2-3 PSI you added will eventually level to the manufacturer's setting (generally 35 PSI, which is what my XK requires). As it gets warmer via by season, then you'd just have to leak a few PSI out. In regards to the spare, the tire does not do any pressure changes, so with temperature changes, it'll also go down and down.

The best solution is shoot your tires up with nitrogen. Nitrogen does not change its state per temperature changes. So regardless, your tire pressure will be the same regardless, unless you have a puncture or leak on the tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
XKJEEP06 is correct, for every 12F decrease in temperature your pressure will drop by 1psi. Inflating your tires to 35-36psi at 70F will typically keep the TPMS in check unless you have extreme cold temperatures (under 10F).

I found that by setting the tires to 36PSI at 70F at a 1100ft elevation, I could travel to 19F at a 7000ft elevation without tripping the TPMS.

Also, feel free to add a few more pounds to the spare. If you ever need to use it you can easily let air out to even it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
Just wondering where you get nitrogen?

I've got the same problem and it's a pain in the rear. I have to take all my gear out of the jack compartment, drop the tire, pump it back up and then reverse the process. I like the idea of low air pressure warnings, but hate to screw around with the spare.

If the spare could be pulled up under the vehicle with the other side down, it would certainly be a lot easier to put air in the tire. I think I looked at that possiblility the last time I dropped the tire and determined that the tire would not stow correctly if it were upside down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
452 Posts
jeep cmder said:
Just wondering where you get nitrogen?

I've got the same problem and it's a pain in the rear. I have to take all my gear out of the jack compartment, drop the tire, pump it back up and then reverse the process. I like the idea of low air pressure warnings, but hate to screw around with the spare.

If the spare could be pulled up under the vehicle with the other side down, it would certainly be a lot easier to put air in the tire. I think I looked at that possiblility the last time I dropped the tire and determined that the tire would not stow correctly if it were upside down.
Your best bet is to call around and do some google search for 'nitrogen tires xxxx' and the city you live in. This differs city to city, state to state. I've hung around a ton of car enthusiasts who've mentioned about it to me. It's not that important to me. It'll cost you I believe $50 to $100. Give that a shot, and good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I just added air to the spare last night. I was in my buddys garage and just slid under there on my back. Seems that its pretty easy with a double sided chuck, was able to reach the stem trhough one of the openings on the rim. The light is off for now so Im happy but if this does continue to be a problem then I will change over to nitrogen for the spare.

Im not sure where you guys are looking but I know that here in the chicagoland area there is a Cassidy Tire on Dempster and Harlem that has Nitrogen. I'm not sure if all Cassidy tire chains are doing it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
Thanks for the tips!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Costco also offers nitrogen. If you buy tires from them they will check your tire pressure and rotate free for life of tires. (I don't work for them, I like to go for a cheap lunch.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,788 Posts
Andre said:
Costco also offers nitrogen. If you buy tires from them they will check your tire pressure and rotate free for life of tires. (I don't work for them, I like to go for a cheap lunch.)
Costco will only fill your tires with nitrogen if you buy the tires from them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
I've been staring at the "low tire pressure" on my display for about 10 days now. I finally decided to take care of the problem today. I had to do this only once before. I dropped the tire and the pressure was just under 30 PSI if I remember correctly. So I pumped it up to 36 PSI and "reeled" it back in place.

If I remember correctly, the last time I did this, that took care of the job. This time the low pressure on the spare is still showing. The manual implies that it is necessary to inflate to the proper pressure and then do a "reset". If this is true, I can't find anywhere in the manual on how to reset this warning.

So, my question is, "Is there a reset procedure?" I still have to take my Jeep in for the latest recall so I can perhaps get it corrected then IF there is not a reset procedure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,788 Posts
I did not have to reset it when I did it. The low pressure display stayed on until the next day. Give it a day.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top