Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put a cover on the spare tire under their Commander? As I was underneath mine the other day, I figured it would be nice to keep all the grime off the tire, so it's not so dirty when I need to access it.

If anyone has done it, what cover did you use?

·
Registered
152 Posts
if you did do it, you'd want to put something that can survive a beating and be removed from the hanger.

You could build a skid plate for it, but weight and difficulty might make it not worth it?

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
My first suggestion would be to call AAA and not worry about changing
the grimy tire. But I have never done that. I always change my own even
though I have AAA.

I think a cover would be slick, but it would have to be of a heavy duty
material, or metal...but if you are not an off road person, may not be quite
the ordeal. Other than then you have to handle a dirty grimy cover.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've thought about making a large skid plate that follows the frame underneath that would hold the spare on it and swing down--but since I don't have one at the moment (soon to be remedied) I haven't tried to design one.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking more on the on the lines of a typical vinyl cover that would have a hole in the one side for the spare tire cable. Maybe the cover would just stretch over the tire, basically to keep all the road grime off the tire. Then when time came to handle the spare, you could easily slide the cover off and deal with a clean tire. I know I could handle getting the cover off without getting as much crap on me as if the tire were catching all the grime.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts