Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to put this under Tires/Suspecnsion but that it fit better here

When I as young my Dad has a LandRover similar to this one .. I remember the spare tire on the hood :)

I'm changing my stance on the gas tank size and considereing a Aux tank .. so that would mean relocating the spare tire.

I'm definaltey getting a roof rack so that would be my first thought ... but All of a sudden I remembered Dad's old LandRover.

Just an idea what do you think? .. Maybe the hood won't even take the weight?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Doubt the hood would take the additional weight/stress. Its designed to be light & cover the engine, nothing more.

·
Super Moderator
15,105 Posts
That bees funny.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I sww a picture of a good safari styleroof rack here on JeepCommander.com with the spare tire on it ... but I can;t find it anyone know where t is?

I was thinking mayeb the tire on the hood might also block vision?

It's not THAT funny looking :) ..I was just thinkign out loud ... but seriosuly on the roof rack does the spare tire still looks a little goofy?

A tire carrier on the back is out of the question as we use the back lift gatelike 5 or 6 times pretty much EVERY time we take the XK out .

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
The hood is aluminum so that would not work, my tires are too large to go under the Commander so my only options are on top or a carrier and since there is no current carrier that I like, I have to put mine in top. Keep in mind that the tire is heavy so getting it up there take two people.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The hood is aluminum so that would not work, my tires are too large to go under the Commander so my only options are on top or a carrier and since there is no current carrier that I like, I have to put mine in top. Keep in mind that the tire is heavy so getting it up there take two people.
yes and even the stock Commander tires are much bigger than an old Land Rover's tyres ... and of course the hood on them was designed for it .. oh well it seemed like a good idea at the time :)

·
Super Moderator
15,105 Posts
I sww a picture of a good safari styleroof rack here on JeepCommander.com with the spare tire on it ... but I can;t find it anyone know where t is?
This is probably not the one you are looking for but maybe it will do ?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is probably not the one you are looking for but maybe it will do ?
That's good thanks! ... I'm thinking of a bigger basket ... like right from the sunroof opening to just clearing the open hatch back ... and as wide as possible without sticking over the edges at all.

·
Super Moderator
15,105 Posts
That's good thanks! ... I'm thinking of a bigger basket ... like right from the sunroof opening to just clearing the open hatch back ... and as wide as possible without sticking over the edges at all.
I think the Yakima Megawarrior with extension is about as big a rack as you can get. Here it is on 49er's XK:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the Yakima Megawarrior with extension is about as big a rack as you can get. Here it is on 49er's XK:
ohhh ... that might be the one I want then! .. Thanks :)

·
Super Moderator
15,105 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I have a Kargo Master Rack. It is nice and really strong but it did take some DIY brackets and bolts to get it on.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I ran into clearance problems with my garage and local parking garages with a roof basket spare carrier, so I have been looking at alternatives. Have you looked into rear tire carriers like Get Lost's? I have also explored a more basic system that has a single purpose of a spare tire carrier that folds down (instead of out like Ross's, less steel, and no jerry can holder)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ran into clearance problems with my garage and local parking garages with a roof basket spare carrier, so I have been looking at alternatives. Have you looked into rear tire carriers like Get Lost's? I have also explored a more basic system that has a single purpose of a spare tire carrier that folds down (instead of out like Ross's, less steel, and no jerry can holder)
The hight clearance COULD be a problem .. we occasionay have use of underground parkig on trips to the city.

The bumper mounted carriers are out of the question due to our frequent use of the back door .. it would be just TOO inconviniant for our use to have to move the tire carrier so many times a day.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
use a donut spare. wont take up much room. or put it in place of your 3rd seat
We use all 7 passenger seats almost weekly too (we have 4 kids) .. the donut spare is interresting .. my old van had 8 bolt wheels in back and 6 bolt up front so I needed tw spares ... I made the back rim myself by swapping the center section of an big rim into a donut spare.

BUT ... I think it would mess up the 4X4 QDII system, if I ran one small spare tire for even a few miles wouldn't it?

·
Super Moderator
15,105 Posts
BUT ... I think it would mess up the 4X4 QDII system, if I ran one small spare tire for even a few miles wouldn't it?
We have a thread which discusses this very issue.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts