Jeep Commander Forum banner

Spare Tire Location

15K views 49 replies 14 participants last post by  BoilerCommander 
#1 ·
I was going to put this under Tires/Suspecnsion but that it fit better here

When I as young my Dad has a LandRover similar to this one .. I remember the spare tire on the hood :)

I'm changing my stance on the gas tank size and considereing a Aux tank .. so that would mean relocating the spare tire.

I'm definaltey getting a roof rack so that would be my first thought ... but All of a sudden I remembered Dad's old LandRover.

Just an idea what do you think? .. Maybe the hood won't even take the weight?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
That bees funny.

#4 ·
I sww a picture of a good safari styleroof rack here on JeepCommander.com with the spare tire on it ... but I can;t find it anyone know where t is?

I was thinking mayeb the tire on the hood might also block vision?

It's not THAT funny looking :) ..I was just thinkign out loud ... but seriosuly on the roof rack does the spare tire still looks a little goofy?

A tire carrier on the back is out of the question as we use the back lift gatelike 5 or 6 times pretty much EVERY time we take the XK out .

#7 · (Edited)
I sww a picture of a good safari styleroof rack here on JeepCommander.com with the spare tire on it ... but I can;t find it anyone know where t is?
This is probably not the one you are looking for but maybe it will do ?

#5 ·
The hood is aluminum so that would not work, my tires are too large to go under the Commander so my only options are on top or a carrier and since there is no current carrier that I like, I have to put mine in top. Keep in mind that the tire is heavy so getting it up there take two people.

#6 ·
The hood is aluminum so that would not work, my tires are too large to go under the Commander so my only options are on top or a carrier and since there is no current carrier that I like, I have to put mine in top. Keep in mind that the tire is heavy so getting it up there take two people.
yes and even the stock Commander tires are much bigger than an old Land Rover's tyres ... and of course the hood on them was designed for it .. oh well it seemed like a good idea at the time :)

#13 ·
I have a Kargo Master Rack. It is nice and really strong but it did take some DIY brackets and bolts to get it on.

#14 ·
I ran into clearance problems with my garage and local parking garages with a roof basket spare carrier, so I have been looking at alternatives. Have you looked into rear tire carriers like Get Lost's? I have also explored a more basic system that has a single purpose of a spare tire carrier that folds down (instead of out like Ross's, less steel, and no jerry can holder)

#15 ·
The hight clearance COULD be a problem .. we occasionay have use of underground parkig on trips to the city.

The bumper mounted carriers are out of the question due to our frequent use of the back door .. it would be just TOO inconviniant for our use to have to move the tire carrier so many times a day.

#17 ·
We use all 7 passenger seats almost weekly too (we have 4 kids) .. the donut spare is interresting .. my old van had 8 bolt wheels in back and 6 bolt up front so I needed tw spares ... I made the back rim myself by swapping the center section of an big rim into a donut spare.

BUT ... I think it would mess up the 4X4 QDII system, if I ran one small spare tire for even a few miles wouldn't it?

#22 ·
Darn ... I could not find the thread ... anyone?

I thought it was in your post but it was just a link in your signature :)

#23 ·
Darn ... I could not find the thread ... anyone?

I thought it was in your post but it was just a link in your signature :)
I'm looking for it.

#26 ·
#28 ·
Thanks! .. interesting read .. but it didn't really come to any conclusions :)

I'm really surprised no-one took a minute to lookin thier owners manual it's pretty adamant on the issue.

Attachments

#29 ·
Well, there you go. Can't be any plainer than that.

#30 ·
I guess that's why they throw an owners manual in every Commander sold :)

#32 ·
But it also says 4 wheel operation.

Couple other options:

You could put your third row seats on the roof instead. Think how much easier it would be for the kids to get out!

Lose 2 kids

Leave 2 at home

Trailer

Front mount the spare

A friend of mine has a Kia, they have a nice swing away rack. I dont know if it could be opened from the inside though. Have you shown your kids how to open the gate from the inside?

#34 · (Edited)
But it also says 4 wheel operation.

Couple other options:

You could put your third row seats on the roof instead. Think how much easier it would be for the kids to get out!

Lose 2 kids

Leave 2 at home

Trailer

Front mount the spare

A friend of mine has a Kia, they have a nice swing away rack. I dont know if it could be opened from the inside though.
Hmm front mount .. I had aHonda Civic we took out east one summer ... and I front mounted the spare for more trunk space ... that's a thought!

Have you shown your kids how to open the gate from the inside?
... KIDS! ... I got locked n the back twice already ... how the heck can you open it from the inside???

#33 ·
I had mine up top for awhile, but it took up so much of the rack space I took it down.

I'm in the process of installing a GetLost rear mount. When we get the problems ironed out I'll post pics.

#35 ·
Front mount is a good idea. I have the prototype GetLost4x4 front hitch mount for my winch. Maybe I could get/make a spare carrier to fit in the receiver.

#42 ·
I could unbolt the frame supports and mount it on the front to see how it fits, but I am sure that the tire would block a lot of the airflow and it would stick up above the front of the hood and impair your view. Maybe a stock tire mounted lower might work.

#37 ·
I actually have an idea I’m working with a guy in my jeep club, but am trying to figure out what diameter to make the piece that attaches to the wheel. Anyone know off hand the diameter across of let’s say a spidertrax spacer?

With our bolt pattern, what distance is it from the center of one lug to the center of another lug in a triangular pattern. For example, looking at this picture, the distance from the center of these spokes. With a 5 x 5", is it 5 inches from center to center, or is the 5" from outside to outside?

If anyone knows, I would appreciate it! Thanks

#38 ·
5x5 bolt pattern means there are 5 studs which are 5 inches apart from the center of one stud to the center of the stud located directly across from it.

#40 ·
I know that Yegster said that the rear tire carrier was not a good option because he uses the back door. I can open the rear window and reach in with the tire carrier in place. To completely open the rear hatch I just pull the pin and it swings away to the right. The biggest delay is in unlocking the cable lock that I use to keep my NATO gas can from growing legs.

You can also move the tire more toward the center if you want to. I had it over to the right to keep my view from the rear camera open. I also have a larger than normal tire.

I know that I have posted pictures before but here it is again.

#41 · (Edited)
Here is a picture of it opened with the receiver mounted removable winch when I got stuc.......Delayed on the trail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.