Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing little project to mount second spare tire on stock cross bars ,, and I would share my plan with you for any advise or help.

I have a third cross bar left over from my previous Commander and the idea is to get all three cross bars close to each other and mount the tire on them and attaching the tire to the middle one.

The appearance:..

I put the third cross bar on and test fit the tire one them to see how it would look like ... here are some pics from different sides ....

from the side ,,, I think I should move the whole setup little forward !

The tire is not centered very well as its still loose ..

The Mount:....

For the mount I plan to drill a hole in the middle bar and use a 16mm bolt to attach the tire with the bar.

The photo below shows how the bolt, nuts and washers will be assembled ... (mounted outside the bar for demonstration only, it will go in the hole)

The below two nuts will be soldered to each side if the bar with their washers to be one peace and painted black .

A big washer will be used at the other side on the bolt to hold the tire as shown in this photo ..

In the photo I got two ready made washers (small and big) to fill the hole ... but I will rather make custom made washer to and welded it to the bolt as well to be one peace.

My next task is to drill the hole and make the needed welding on the bar and bolt. but before that I would hear your comments and advices wither to go for this setup or make some changes.

Should I be worried about wither this mount is strong enough to hold the tire in place in harsh breaking and deceleration and strong pumps ??

·
2,248 Posts
The weak link may be the crossbar. In a sudden stop the crossbar might break and allow the spare tire to come flying forward. I would not be good to possibly hit another car and then send a tire flying into them. What is the crossbar made from? The idea is fine but perhaps you should attach a piece of metal to all three crossbars and spread the shear load between them. Your new XK looks alot like mine.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I like your idea Ahmed. I was thinking along the same lines as Huey.

I dont think you can weld the 2 metals together, steel in the nut and
aluminum cross bar.

But if you replace the center bar with a piece of steel, you could have the
nut welded on and get more strength.

Or maybe put a steel reinforcement bar on the underside of the cross
member. Then you could weld the nut to the bar and screw the bar onto
the underside of the crossmember. This would add strength. Wouldnt have to be very thick. Maybe 1/8" x 2" x 24" . If this is a viable idea, someone else
may have better idea on the size.

You could add a cargo carrier and put the tire up there and have room for other stuff.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The weak link may be the crossbar. In a sudden stop the crossbar might break and allow the spare tire to come flying forward. I would not be good to possibly hit another car and then send a tire flying into them. What is the crossbar made from? The idea is fine but perhaps you should attach a piece of metal to all three crossbars and spread the shear load between them. Your new XK looks alot like mine.

Opps ,, you are right, a front impact would be the strongest force on such setup ! ... then I should keep the tire deflated to reduce the impact :icon_biggrin: .. just jocking :)

I might add two strong straps to tight the front and rear tire portions to the front and rear bars. that will help secure the tire on place.

I like your idea Ahmed. I was thinking along the same lines as Huey.

I dont think you can weld the 2 metals together, steel in the nut and
aluminum cross bar.

But if you replace the center bar with a piece of steel, you could have the
nut welded on and get more strength.

Or maybe put a steel reinforcement bar on the underside of the cross
member. Then you could weld the nut to the bar and screw the bar onto
the underside of the crossmember. This would add strength. Wouldnt have to be very thick. Maybe 1/8" x 2" x 24" . If this is a viable idea, someone else
may have better idea on the size.

You could add a cargo carrier and put the tire up there and have room for other stuff.
It didn't come to mind the issue of two metals can't be welded !! What about flipping the bolt up side down and secure the bolt in hole and the bar using a nut above the bar and using the other nut and washer to fix the tire?

Making custom steel bar and using cargo carrier are two good options .. I just wanted to make a simple solution and with minimum cost.

·
Registered
140 Posts
One thought that might affect you, is if it rains, will water collecting in the wheel hub drain out?
If not, you might have electrolisis between the steel bolt and the aluminum wheel.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Easy fix. On the bottom of the rails have another flat bar that runs front to back. It would have another drilled whole in the middle of it like the cross beam; that way the force would be spread out and worse case, would keep the tire on the roof. Might break the drilled out hole, but it would work.... I think

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Easy fix. On the bottom of the rails have another flat bar that runs front to back. It would have another drilled whole in the middle of it like the cross beam; that way the force would be spread out and worse case, would keep the tire on the roof. Might break the drilled out hole, but it would work.... I think
This is like I was suggesting, but I think you are going front to back, correct?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I hope you get the bugs worked out on your tire carrier idea. I couldn't help but notice how good looking your Commander is. And, do the reflectors on your bumper just come with International Commanders or do they come with all 2010 Commanders? I know my 2006 doesn't have them and they look sharp.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Maybe you could make a bracket to recess it a bit lower then the roof rails and only use 2 of them. 2 brackets Like this ---,_________,--- . Then maybe a brace across the middle to connect the 2 brackets.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
I hope you get the bugs worked out on your tire carrier idea. I couldn't help but notice how good looking your Commander is. And, do the reflectors on your bumper just come with International Commanders or do they come with all 2010 Commanders? I know my 2006 doesn't have them and they look sharp.
They are standard on all model years of the international models and are not on any model years of the US models.. Some of the US members have added them to their Commanders. By the way, they are lights not reflectors.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
The only thing that concerns me is that there are five distinct locations where the cross bars need to be secured. These locations allow the crossbars to be "locked" to the roof rails which keeps the cross bars from moving frontwards and backwards. I would think that as long as the middle bar was firmly locked in one of these locations, this would work. The middle bar would be absorbing all of the weight because you are bolting the wheel to it. The other two would add support, but not actually carry much weight. These two would most likely not be in a position to lock, but they could be tightened. If you overtighten these two, you run the risk of damaging your rails because there isn't any cut out in the rails for the locking mechanisms. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
If you get a steel plate to span 2 rails, and curve the plate up at the outside of each rail a little, then drill a hole in the middle of the plate between the 2 rails, then the force will be shared between 2 rails instead of just one.

Also, if you use this plate idea, you could bolt a u-bolt onto the plate and bend the bolt into a "J" shape to hook onto the u-bolt then tightening the nut on the j-bolt will secure it to the rails by the force of tightening the nut against the bolt.

I did something similar for my spare mount but mounted it to a cargo carrier rather than the rails directly. I'll look for pics.

Edit: Here's a thread with some pics of how I mounted my spare to the cargo carrier. I think you could adapt some of these ideas to the cross rails mount you plan.
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4810&page=17&highlight=roof+rack+spare+tire

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Also, I don't know if you have satellite radio, but if you do, the antenna is near the back and could be shadowed by the spare in that location.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One thought that might affect you, is if it rains, will water collecting in the wheel hub drain out?
If not, you might have electrolisis between the steel bolt and the aluminum wheel.
Good observation :) ,, then I need to make a small hole or two .. Thanks,

Yea that is possible ,, but I would rather keep two permanent cross bars without any holes in them ,, and limiting the drilling only in the middle bar which will be only used as tire carrier.

Thanks for your complement ,,, jeep5253 has answered your question .. thanks jeep5253 :)

Maybe you could make a bracket to recess it a bit lower then the roof rails and only use 2 of them. 2 brackets Like this ---,_________,--- . Then maybe a brace across the middle to connect the 2 brackets.

This is a good setup and also lower the location of the tire too ,,, I wanted to make use of extra cross bar for easy made carrier.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only thing that concerns me is that there are five distinct locations where the cross bars need to be secured. These locations allow the crossbars to be "locked" to the roof rails which keeps the cross bars from moving frontwards and backwards. I would think that as long as the middle bar was firmly locked in one of these locations, this would work. The middle bar would be absorbing all of the weight because you are bolting the wheel to it. The other two would add support, but not actually carry much weight. These two would most likely not be in a position to lock, but they could be tightened. If you overtighten these two, you run the risk of damaging your rails because there isn't any cut out in the rails for the locking mechanisms. :eek:rangehat:

I didn't know about the five locations .. I thought the marks are there for easier alignment only ,, I will check the side rails to see how these locations differ from other places and how they add strength ,, and the good news is that last night I moved the whole three bars a little forward to enhance the look and the middle bar landed in one of these locations :) ..

I think the front and rear bar will carry wight too as the tire will set on all bars but will be attached to only one!

If you get a steel plate to span 2 rails, and curve the plate up at the outside of each rail a little, then drill a hole in the middle of the plate between the 2 rails, then the force will be shared between 2 rails instead of just one.

Also, if you use this plate idea, you could bolt a u-bolt onto the plate and bend the bolt into a "J" shape to hook onto the u-bolt then tightening the nut on the j-bolt will secure it to the rails by the force of tightening the nut against the bolt.

I did something similar for my spare mount but mounted it to a cargo carrier rather than the rails directly. I'll look for pics.

Edit: Here's a thread with some pics of how I mounted my spare to the cargo carrier. I think you could adapt some of these ideas to the cross rails mount you plan.
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4810&page=17&highlight=roof+rack+spare+tire

This is also a good ides and does not need three bars but sorry I didn't understand how the plate will be mounted on the two crossbars?

Also, I don't know if you have satellite radio, but if you do, the antenna is near the back and could be shadowed by the spare in that location.
No International models don't have satellite radio,

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Originally Posted by ER NURSE
Yea that is possible ,, but I would rather keep two permanent cross bars without any holes in them ,, and limiting the drilling only in the middle bar which will be only used as tire carrier.
I like ER Nurse's idea. Here's a crude paint drawing of what I think he is recommending.

The plate (in green) will be held up against all three cross rails by the force of the nuts screwed onto the bolt. The tire will be held firmly against the three rails and in the event of a crash, I would expect the plate to hold firmly against all three rails.

·
Registered
242 Posts
i would put a steel plate under the tire. have the 5 lug holes have bolts in them attaching to steel plate. and have plate go over each roof carrier. and have 2 bolts connecting to each carrier.
my 2 cents.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I didn't know about the five locations .. I thought the marks are there for easier alignment only ,, I will check the side rails to see how these locations differ from other places and how they add strength ,, and the good news is that last night I moved the whole three bars a little forward to enhance the look and the middle bar landed in one of these locations :)
An easy way to see how the cross bars "lock" is to do this. Adjust the cross bar to align over one of the arrows. Start to turn the knob. Don't tighten all the way, but as you turn the knob, slightly move your cross bar front and back and you will feel the locking block fit into the slot cut out of the roof rail. Turning the knob fully draws a block into the recess. This is what I meant by damaging the rail if the cross bar is not in one of these locations. It is possible to distort the metal rails if the block is not alligned properly. I think this is an excellent idea, and I love the color of your Commander. :eek:rangehat:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts