Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching the forum for everyone's over sized spare tire placement. Is there any other solution for spare tire placement besides placement on a hitch gate or roof rack? I do have the tow package hitch and it looks if the stock 245 65 17 barely fit since the hitch is taking up lots of space. Any ideas and what is everyone on here doing if you have the hitch in the way? Thanks

Andy

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Roof. That's all I got.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
You could put it inside the back. Possibly have a sparetire mount fabricated.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
You could put it inside the back. Possibly have a sparetire mount fabricated.
X2

Once I get the 4 inch Superlift I'm going to fabricate a sparetire mount in place of the third row seating. Id do it sooner but we still have my sons stroller in the back of the commander. In about 6 months he will be old enough to not need the stroller anymore so ill fab it then. I plan on using a angled spare tire carrier that you would normally see in the bed of a pick up truck.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rear fabrication is not a bad idea. I know someone on here said that the goodyear silent armors 245 70 would fit in the spare location but the bfg mt k2 245 70 would not fit. I am just wondering what the jeep would look like with the spacer lift and only 30.6 inch tires. ShredX had the bfg's which looked good but like he said the spare did not fit. I did see Old Mcdonald said he was going to attempt to weld away some of the tire hitch but not sure if he got around to it. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
spare tyre(tire) fittment

hi all,
i managed to get the spare 265/70/17 to fit in the standard position. tyres are mickey thompson 5 bar atz's.
it required some trimming of the inside of the towbar with a 9" angle grinder and some grunting and groaning but it fits.
i later figured out that it goes in even better if you let the air down and kick it a bit ! .
cheers from aus.:)

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
You could leave it the garage and call road service.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts