Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting 20 inch rims for my 2006 65th anniversary Jeep. My problem is I don't want to get them if I also can't store a 20 inch spare. Does anyone know the max size tire/rim we can store under the jeep? The wife wants 20's, I want the Chromed stock 17's maybe 18's....Also, If I go with 20's, will they rub at all or are any mods needed to avoid rubbing, etc....?
If you happen to know, please let me know.....Thank you.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Wheel size doesn't make any difference.

Tire diameter is all that matters. You can have 17" wheels for driving and a 22" wheel for the spare if you wanted..... as long as the overall diameter of the tires are equivalent (or close)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wheel size doesn't make any difference.

Tire diameter is all that matters. You can have 17" wheels for driving and a 22" wheel for the spare if you wanted..... as long as the overall diameter of the tires are equivalent (or close)

Thank You for the response...I have one more question...IF I did go with 20'' rims, what size tire would I actually need to get for the spare for it to be usable and able to fit in the Spare under the car......Assuming I kept the 17 inch rim underneath for the spare, or is that not possible? Still confused.:icon_confused:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
lol i still think you're confusing wheel size with tire diameter.

forget about wheels... you can run any size wheel you want, it doesnt matter.

What size TIRES do you want to run? Do you want bigger tires than stock or do you want to keep the same diameter tires and just put on bigger wheels?

If you're not lifting the commander, you don't need to change the spare tire OR wheel at all, regardless of what size you put on for driving. So it's completely a non-issue.

Hell, if you're putting on a 2" leveling kit and slightly larger tires it also doesn't really matter. The tire sizes will be close enough to get you to a shop for repair if you need to use the spare.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
spare

LOL...you are right...Im having a hard time separating the two.....But, I think what you are saying is that I could get all new tires/rims, even if they are 20'', and still use the current stock spare tire, assuming the new tires are approx the same size as the stock?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Yeah man... now you got it! :)

Just use the stock spare and get whatever wheels/tires you want and you'll be fine. You can't fit big enough tires on a stock (or even 2" lifted commander, within reason ) to render the stock spare useless.

Your biggest issue is going to be finding a 20" wheel with a useable width and backspace for the Commander. You'll probably need a 2" leveling kit just to help out with the width of the tire since most 20" wheels are 9" wide; which would mean the thinnest tire you'd want to run is around 10.5" (265mm).

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Do you have a picture of a Commander with the look you're going for? You'll have a lot more options with 18" wheels/tires...

For 20s these are the general options:
255/50/20 for wheel widths 7-9"
265/45/20 for wheel widths 8-10"

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome.Thanks for all the information....Nah, we haven't agreed on any rims. I think partly because I want to stay with the 17'' rims, just stock chrome or even the 18''s....The wife wants 20''s, but there is not any stock 20''s for the commander.....Although, the only 20''s I have seen that I like are the Dodge Nitro's Chrome wheels..... But I would much prefer Stock Chrome.......

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Try this handy tire calculator from Discount Tire.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

Stock tires are 245/65/17 which is 29.50 if I remember correctly. I run 255/75/17's which are about 32".

I have QDII 4wd system with electronic limited slip diffs front and rear. Personally I wouldn't run a standard spare with 32's on the 3 corners, but YMMV.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts