Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swapped out plugs with new stock Champions (no double platinum's nor iridium's). 35K miles none measured over .048 vs. new at .043. Will go 45K next time. Good to go in there anyway to clean everything up. Always 89 Top Tier fuel, 5K OCI's, and Redline S1 or Techron Complete Fuel System cleaner at each OCI. 2 of the 16 plugs right out of the box had virtually no gap. Makes one wonder about Champion's quality control. These were double packed 4 to a carton from the factory.

·
Administrator
6,211 Posts
Swapped out plugs with new stock Champions (no double platinum's nor iridium's). 35K miles none measured over .048 vs. new at .043. Will go 45K next time. Good to go in there anyway to clean everything up. Always 89 Top Tier fuel, 5K OCI's, and Redline S1 or Techron Complete Fuel System cleaner at each OCI. 2 of the 16 plugs right out of the box had virtually no gap. Makes one wonder about Champion's quality control. These were double packed 4 to a carton from the factory.
I've said many times on this forum, I'm no mechanic. That being said, as far as I know it's normal procedure to properly gap the spark plugs before they are installed.

So, that being the case, what difference does it really make what gap they have coming out of the box when you are going to properly check & set the plug gap anyway?

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you have 2 bent ground electrodes with almost zero clearance it tells me that the plug must of hit something during the manufacturing process. The 14 other plugs were all normal. I religiously gap the plugs and inspect the ceramic prior to install.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts