Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to change out the old spark plugs at 53,000 miles :)
I am glad and will post pics later of whats left of them.
Got new NKG or NGK plugs. Been a long time since I broke 11.3 miles on the adverage milage per the computer :)

So, after the change I got the old, check engine light.
I did the battery disconnect, and put the key to on for 2 mins, and reconnect and drive. But after a day i still have the light.

I just uphooked the battery again. Placed the key in on. But this time i am waiting about 20 mins with the key in the on position. And then i will turn to off and wait another 30 mins to see if when i reconnect, if the light goes out.

The engine sounds better than fine, with no idle chugging, as i was getting at times, probably from the old plugs. But I wonder if maybe there is more of an issue?

And help on a home way to reset after tune up would be helpful. I will check back in with you all in about an hour and see if i was able to self correct the light.

All the coils, etc, seem fine, and the screws and hoses to the air box look ok as well. Not sure what gives. But i did noted even after 25 mins before, and (forgetting to take the key out from the on position) then when i reconnected, the clock and radio stations were still pre programmed, so I know there is still alot of power sitting in there somewhere........

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Heres the wonderful shape plugs I pulled after 53,750 miles. Yeah those electrodes are totally worn down and shot. Glad I got off my duff and did it.

Those who suggest to get a few angle attachments were right. That rear most, passenger side plug is in a God awful Spot!

Managed to break one plug on top pulling it, but otherwise went smooth. Made sure i put anti seize on the plugs, and die electric gel on the boots and porcelain as directed to make any future work easier and less chance of coils or plug, or thread damaged.

On the way to get my plugs made up for the P.i.A. in labor .
Come on a mexican in headphones dancing in a fruit costume....whats not to love!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I find it weird that the radio can hold a charge for so long?
I did another disconnect for about an hour yesturday, and when/after reconnecting, still the radio was pre programmed.
I will probably have to go back to a dealer, when I ever get in touch with my Jeep service agent, I missed his last call and we have been playing phone tag for about 2 weeks. But Im awaiting to see what they may or may not cover, but I also plan on bringing the Jeep back in, since I paid 127.00 for an incorrect diagnosis, which led me to change the wheel hub, and still I have the same issue...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I youtube and researched the key dance thing. I tried it 3 times, 5 times, 10 times, door open, door closed. Could not get it to read out anything. ?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Most auto parts stores will scan your vehicle for free. Saves you from buying a scanner or dealing with the key dance in the Commander.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The Check Engine Light (CEL) should NOT come on after doing a spark plug change properly. There is NO tune-up reminder that needs to be reset, just an oil change reminder. So, you getting the CEL is either a coincidence or you did something wrong during the spark plug change.

The CEL coming back on after you dump the memory by disconnecting the battery is indicative of having a problem that is NOT correcting itself and thus the light keeps coming back.

Like mentioned, you can get the Jeep to read out its stored fault codes, or take it to any big name part store and have them hook up a scanner and read out the codes for you.

Correct the problem causing the fault code and CEL will go out and NOT come back.

If you are getting misfire codes, I would check the spark plug wires/boots and coils, make sure the connectors are properly connected with the connector on the spark plug.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found the cause and solution.
Not the best video, but I tried. :)
Got an OBD reader for 36.00 on Ebay. Code P0113 Air intake .
Was due to me NOT, putting the air sensor wire back on, after I re installed the air box.
I am a dummy... :)

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Found the cause and solution.
Not the best video, but I tried. :)
Got an OBD reader for 36.00 on Ebay. Code P0113 Air intake .
Was due to me NOT, putting the air sensor wire back on, after I re installed the air box.
I am a dummy... :)
Well, you could have saved $36 and the wait by just doing this:
But, $36 bucks is NOT like you lost a lot of money, and I've never seen someone regret having an OBDII reader, except when they realize they want to do a lot more then it is capable of doing and need to get a more expensive tool.

Can that tool clear your fault codes? If it can, then it is worth it, because you can reset the PCM much easier with it, then pulling battery cables, and waiting 20 minutes, etc.

The OBD tool I have also reads the emissions status of the self-checks as well, and clearing codes also resets all the emissions checks.

BTW, those tools will NOT reset the oil change reminder, you have to do the procedure in the owners manual.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, it does clear the codes. I also tried the key dance, 3 times, 5 times, 10 times, etc and could not get any codes to come up on the evic. Thus leading me to buy the OBD reader.
I know the oil reset is via the regular reset button. :)

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I also tried the key dance, 3 times, 5 times, 10 times, etc and could not get any codes to come up on the evic.
I've owned Chryslers for decades and did that key dance on all of them since my first electronic controlled '88 chrylser vehicle.

But still the key dance for my 2010 Commander kicked my a$$, I must have tried two dozen times and never got it to work, until I watched the video.

You have to do the whole procedure in less then 3 seconds. I naturally waited until the Evic to light up each time I turned the key to "ON" before turning it to "OFF" again. Waiting for the EVIC to light up, would put me over the 3 second time limit. When I realized I did NOT have to wait for the EVIC to light up / come alive, I did the key "ON-LOCK-ON-LOCK-ON" as fast as I could, regardless if the EVIC lighted up inbetween or not, and my EVIC started reading out a DTC report.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts