Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am seeking the honest, down to earth truth. I have read all sides of this issue and would like to know if OEM spark plugs are the right choice for a 2008 Commander Overland with the 5.7 Hemi. Some posts say the "exotic" plugs (iridium,platinum, etc) cause the engine to perform poorly and others say it performs better. Go figure. Does anybody have the "truth"? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
Personally, I would (and do) use the OEM plugs on the HEMI.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I tried iridium plugs and they did nothing but throw codes. I went back to oem and not a problem. They do have a shorter life, But you will remain headache free. I was told that the iridiums are actually a cooler plug. The computer sees it as a misfire. Don't quote me on it, but thats what i've been told

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
About 2 years ago we put some Bosch platinums in a Hemi XK at the shop.... damn thing barely made it out of the parking lot for the test drive.

Couldn't figure out what was wrong. Called a colleague at a local dealerships service dept and he recommended trying OEM plugs. Swapped them out and the thing ran like a champ.

Take it for what it's worth, but the only plug I'll run in MY jeeps are OEM spec.

I've never read a story of someone running OEM plugs and having issues, but there seems to be a 50/50 split of issues with fancy iridium/platinum/etc plugs. It's a gamble not worth taking IMO since actual engine "performance" between a good OEM copper plug and a good platinum won't be any different, the platinum will last longer, that's all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
spark plugs

OK, I am seeking the honest, down to earth truth. I have read all sides of this issue and would like to know if OEM spark plugs are the right choice for a 2008 Commander Overland with the 5.7 Hemi. Some posts say the "exotic" plugs (iridium,platinum, etc) cause the engine to perform poorly and others say it performs better. Go figure. Does anybody have the "truth"? Thanks in advance.
truth on the internet?
Hello,
I am the tech manager at Autolite spark plugs. We have a ton of technical video under the learn more tab on our website, www.autolite.com. You can learn all about the differences in plug metalurgy, how plugs are matched to OE and much more. I have installed Autolite XP Iridium spark plugs in many hemi powered vehicles with great results. Not all plug companies do a great job of matching the OE heat range, Autolite does. But, watch the videos and learn for yourself. they are technical video, not marketing bs.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have been running Autolite iridiums in my hemi for almost 80k miles now. Never a problem. Good mileage. Lots 'o power!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
37 Posts
I always stick to OE, there are way to many accounts of fancy plugs just screwing things up. Also keep in mind regardless of how they are marketed the only advantage they have is lasting longer than copper. Get OE plugs and change at appropriate interval.

·
Registered
172 Posts
THe Hemi Shop on Long ISland actually offeres Iridiums, as an upgrade over the stock coppers. They do a lot of work on 5.7 and 6.1 engines and are very highly regarded in the area. Just my 2 cents...

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I've only got the 4.7 liter V8 in my Commander and have tried every ply on the market. Back to running oem champions as the others sucked in my motor

·
Registered
953 Posts
I've been running Autolite iridiums for almost 90k in my hemi now without issue. I'm ready to replace them now with a fresh set.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts